Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips is younger than Impey I don’t know how he got on the ‘big footy do not play’ list.

The whole squad is going to need to do their bit this season
I don’t think it’s the Big Footy list. It’s the coaching staff who are not picking him. He’s not a world beater but I am surprised we are persisting with some players over him

Was it laziness or somewhat planned structure in keeping forwards in place for the turnover? St kilda did a lot of things right in unpicking our gameplan by sweating on the inbound kicks and capitalising on turnover.
I think some of it was definitely laziness they didn't chase at all. Its just our execution let us down and they were free 20+ meters away from their defender. If they do the same thing against a team that can execute they are in for a world of hurt

Young blokes looked tired - Finn, CMac, Ward, even Newk by the end of the game.

Also, can we lose the look away over-the-top-of-the-head handball? It didn’t come off even once.

Big loss but about where we are at. CJ and Lewis had monster games - getting in great positions etc but they both struggled executing under pressure.

You know we're discussing Finn Maginness right?

The things he 'LITERALLY' did not do:
Strong marks - 0 / Any marks - 0
Tackling beast numbers - 1 tackle in the game
Clever handballs - out of his 6 total handballs, which would you describe as clever?
Kicks - out of his 7 total kicks, 3 were clangers

I'm dying to hear what he LITERALLY did all weekend.

I'm not entirely sure if you actually watched the game or have just been reading the stat sheet.

Finn repeatedly provided link options across half back and up and down the wings during the 3rd quarter. He burned off saints tacklers at least twice that I can remember, including the time he delivered the ball on a plate to Jaeger in the forward line. He shrugged off at least a couple of tackles - an improvement on how he went about it last week.

On top of that, he was good enough in the clinches during the 3rd quarter - pulling out a number of balls out of the contest by my reckoning - that Sam decided to throw him into the CBA rotation in the final quarter. He did some good work when he was put in there, doing some decent blocking and seeming to link up well with Mitchell and Ward who he was paired up with.

As far as his tackling goes, there was at least 1 great tackle by my reckoning that didn't get paid on Gresham. There were several further decent bloody efforts. He may not have gotten HtB rewards, but he was perfectly happy to get stuck in.

He was hardly a superstar, sure. But he got stuck in on the weekend. His involvements were generally an improvement on other players who were playing at that time. More importantly, his involvements were an improvement on how he played the week previous. So, you can hardly argue it is "coming out of no-where"; he is improving week to week.

Which is pretty much all you can ask for a <10 gamer.

I reckon Clarko rang Ratten during the week and gave up our game plan and an extensive overview of all players that were under his tenure last year.

That's what I want to believe caused the smashing yesterday, anyway.

I love the Hawks though. Looking forward to seeing how they respond against the Cats. Need good ball skills when under pressure and need to kick those goals. No missing - Like West Coast did against the Pies.

I'm not entirely sure if you actually watched the game or have just been reading the stat sheet.

Finn repeatedly provided link options across half back and up and down the wings during the 3rd quarter. He burned off saints tacklers at least twice that I can remember, including the time he delivered the ball on a plate to Jaeger in the forward line. He shrugged off at least a couple of tackles - an improvement on how he went about it last week.

On top of that, he was good enough in the clinches during the 3rd quarter - pulling out a number of balls out of the contest by my reckoning - that Sam decided to throw him into the CBA rotation in the final quarter. He did some good work when he was put in there, doing some decent blocking and seeming to link up well with Mitchell and Ward who he was paired up with.

As far as his tackling goes, there was at least 1 great tackle by my reckoning that didn't get paid on Gresham. There were several further decent bloody efforts. He may not have gotten HtB rewards, but he was perfectly happy to get stuck in.

He was hardly a superstar, sure. But he got stuck in on the weekend. His involvements were generally an improvement on other players who were playing at that time. More importantly, his involvements were an improvement on how he played the week previous. So, you can hardly argue it is "coming out of no-where"; he is improving week to week.

Which is pretty much all you can ask for a <10 gamer.

Yeah, none of that had anything to do with my post that you absolutely melted over.
It's about his ability. You like it. I think it's lacking.
You think he's showing enough to continue with. I'm looking for more.
We good, maybe just save the melt.
Oh, and i watched every bleeping painful moment of the match thanks very much.;):thumbsu:

Terrible decision making and skills throughout the day.
Couldn't connect or score inside 50.
Midfield as poor as ever.

Effort got worse as the game went on.

Go at it.
Missed the game. Was it a day off? Or are they simply under prepared to make a mark.
It seems like forever since the great days, they look promising and world beaters then fall off again.

They are young, so patience is the only thing we have. But I still think we have the cattle, its developong them that counts.

Huge reality check today…

Went with our fast moving, long kicking game plan and the Saints were more than ready for it…

They set up really well behind the ball and and we had no ability to re-adjust our gameplan and show some composure.. instead just kicking long (often blindly) to their defenders for easy intercepts.. hopefully we learn from that going forward…

More importantly they brought loads of genuine pressure and most of our players just couldn’t cope with it- constantly fumbling and turning it over with poor skill level… the most disappointing part was that the effort dropped away and in the end we coughed up a 10+ goal loss…

We’re gonna have games like this as a young side- today we were thoroughly outplayed.. but it was the number of senior players that struggled - Howe, Worpel, Jaeger, Gunston just to name a few that really disappointed…

We are really missing Big boy atm aswell- Reeves fought super hard and credit to him but he was up against it going against two quality experienced rucks in Ryder and Marshall..

Horrible day at the office today- onto next week… we really need to respond against the arrogants- couldn’t stand copping another belting from them…
Strange, Saints have looked like unbelievable rabble over a couple of years, then pull a game out of the hat, also this banging the ball out of defence hoping for a team mate and then it comes back again, is happening for every team this year, I see it in all the games I watch.
I have never seen so much fumbling not just Hawks, I don't see many one touch players these days, I see too much handball, to many times when ther is no one to kick to because every ones on the ball.
It is again starting to look like little league at half time.
Then one week comes along like yesterday, and one team bangs it anywhere can't hit a target fumbles drops can pass to a team mate, while the other manages to hit a few more targets, and bingo the game goes down the drain.
Thing is with the game these days, it could have easliy been the other way around!
I didn't see yesterdays match but did we get belted out of the centre again,teams that win centre breaks know how to read ruckmen, and I mean from either team!
Also I think no one should be rubbishing any of our players, that is out of order, all sides have this type of crap, Carlton dropped the ball against the Suns, Collingwood got beaten stupidly, and as or Geelong well Hawkins got a mark for a nine metre kick, and then he committed a push in the back and got the mark paid and goaled, that is of course another thing that is buggaring up football and results, 12 points they got then but won by 10 they shouldn't have, they should have lost by 2 points to Brissy.

Also, can we lose the look away over-the-top-of-the-head handball? It didn’t come off even once.
How about we include the look away handball front and centre of the opposition goal that results in.......a goal.

Yes Tom Mitchell I am looking directly at you.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they’re serious, it’s a week. Wasn’t anything malicious, but needed to show more care. However they’re not serious about anything so who knows.
If they are serious it is 2 since he went off with concussion and that is why it will 0

A bit disappointing that no one really remonstrated with Ryder after the hit. A bit piss weak IMO. 5 years ago we had players that would have had his back.
A few got to Ryder over it but they put up as much fight as they did playing the game itself.

I'd like to think they were making sure they didn't over turn the downfield free kick.

But also maybe in that context what we needed more was to make a statement.

A bit disappointing that no one really remonstrated with Ryder after the hit. A bit piss weak IMO. 5 years ago we had players that would have had his back.
I was at the city end and players did remonstrate but my eye sight aint what it used to be. The tussle matched the day as it looked like a boy against a man.
Our players looked tired yesterday and some of the errors from players who are usually reliable just killed us.

Not only did we barely remonstrate but Frost (who I rate btw) gave him a pat on the back when they walked back to the goalsquare as an acceptance of his remorse/regret. It made me sick

Another thing I noticed ( and has no effect on the outcome) was the saints players seemed to remonstrate with the umpires a lot more than has been pinged this year. Not sure if it’s crept in anywhere but they were red hot on it previous rounds.

Listening to Mitch and Harvs post game, it sounds like were were just out worked.
Hopefully we get better effort all around against the pussies.

Hard to expect much more atm. Was a flipping disappointing way to lose but just need to be patient.
Some teams don’t bear the fruits of their early draft hauls for 10 odd years. We’re basically 1/2 years into that with Day/DGB/Ward. The key is to just keep building on that and nail as many picks as possible. We’re lucky we do have some other young talent already we’ve been able to find through other avenues (CJ/Scrim/Newk/Bramble)

The talent is in my opinion spread so thinly across all the teams now that it is so hard to nail it quickly and turn it around in a flash.
We’re still gonna win games this year but definitely still a few more beltings coming our way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back