Round 4: St Kilda v Fremantle including Live Chat from 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol sorry, made no attempt? he was locked in the tackle, no attempt could be made. It would only be a free if he threw the ball, dropping has never been a free if you don't have prior. Happens every two seconds in stoppage situations it's nothing new.

If you let go of the ball without attempting to kick or handball it's a free kick. If it's knocked out in the tackle it's not. You can't just get tackled out drop it.

If you let go of the ball without attempting to kick or handball it's a free kick. If it's knocked out in the tackle it's not. You can't just get tackled out drop it.

At what stage of the tackle could Ibbotson attempt to dispose of it legally? Clint Jones grabbed him, and spun him into the ground. Watch the footage again and tell me he had any option besides dropping it.

At what stage of the tackle could Ibbotson attempt to dispose of it legally? Clint Jones grabbed him, and spun him into the ground. Watch the footage again and tell me he had any option besides dropping it.

Ok what chance did Dal? Ibbotson dropped the ball in a perfect tackle. Ibbotsons is a free in every possible way.

Ok what chance did Dal? Ibbotson dropped the ball in a perfect tackle. Ibbotsons is a free in every possible way.

What happened to Dal at what time?

Yes it was a good tackle, but good tackle doesn't = free kick. No prior, no chance to dispose legally, no throw = play on. In fact in that case, dropping the ball is what the player is required to do.

What happened to Dal at what time?

Yes it was a good tackle, but good tackle doesn't = free kick. No prior, no chance to dispose legally, no throw = play on. In fact in that case, dropping the ball is what the player is required to do.

Dal got a hit out and was perfectly tackled straight away and was pinned for not trying even though both arms were pinned with no prior. First quarter.

I will repeat if you take possession and get tackled and you then drop it without trying it's a free.

Dal got a hit out and was perfectly tackled straight away and was pinned for not trying even though both arms were pinned with no prior. First quarter.

I will repeat if you take possession and get tackled and you then drop it without trying it's a free.

It was called holding the ball because he took to long and made no effort to get rid of it, same as if you dive on it, but don't dispose of it. If Dal had shown physical effort to dispose of it, even if he couldn't it would be ball. How does this apply to Ibbo, whom had the ball for 2 seconds? Is the ump supposed to call holding the ball? :eek:

It was called holding the ball because he took to long and made no effort to get rid of it, same as if you dive on it, but don't dispose of it. If Dal had shown physical effort to dispose of it, even if he couldn't it would be ball. How does this apply to Ibbo, whom had the ball for 2 seconds? Is the ump supposed to call holding the ball? :eek:

Your kidding right? Understand what I'm saying if you drop it while your being tackled it's a free. If the balls dislodged it's not. Ibbotson placed the ball on the ground while tackled. That's a free he didn't handball or kick even attempt to. As for Dal well that's just wrong no prior perfect tackle gets pinned on either side.

Your kidding right? Understand what I'm saying if you drop it while your being tackled it's a free. If the balls dislodged it's not. Ibbotson placed the ball on the ground while tackled. That's a free he didn't handball or kick even attempt to. As for Dal well that's just wrong no prior perfect tackle gets pinned on either side.

http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_docs/development/afl_explained/Laws of Football_2010.pdf

olding the Football — Prior Opportunity/No
Prior Opportunity
Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession
of the football:
(a) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the
field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player
if the Player does not Kick or Handball the football
immediately when he or she is Correctly Tackled; or
(b) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the
field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if,
upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly
Dispose or attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after
being given a reasonable opportunity to do so.
(c) Except in the instance of a poor bounce or throw, a Player
who takes possession of the football while contesting a
bounce or throw by a field Umpire or a boundary throw in,​
shall be regarded as having had prior opportunity.

States here frees are paid only when there has been prior to dispose of it correctly. There is nothing in the rules that says dropping = free kick no matter what. It states if no prior opportunity is given, it's deemed a free kick "if" a player then has ample opportunity to dispose correctly. Ibbo had none.

I'd like to see you make an attempt to get rid of the ball when someone has their arms wrapped around you pinning both arms.

Dal Santo had no chance, yet Freo players with more chance to dispose of it or had prior opportunity weren't penalised.

There is no consistency, the umpires make the rules up as they go along. It is disgraceful.

Yeh I don't like the rule personally, but it's there. Take it up with the AFL, not the umpires.

Read what part b says. You've just shot yourself in the foot and proved me correct thanks.:thumbsu:

Read it again.

Like I said before, Ibbotson had no chance.

GG.

Read it again.

Like I said before, Ibbotson had no chance.

GG.

Read what it says about disposing of it correctly!!!! If Ibbotson had retained possesion it's fine but he didn't so it's a free kick. Trust me I know.

Read what it says about disposing of it correctly!!!! If Ibbotson had retained possesion it's fine but he didn't so it's a free kick. Trust me I know.

?? Um yeh it says without prior opportunity, a player must either dispose of it correctly OR attempt to dispose of it correctly (as in proper disposal is not even required anyway) IF a player then has a reasonable chance to do so.

Not sure what's confusing you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

?? Um yeh it says without prior opportunity, a player must either dispose of it correctly OR attempt to dispose of it correctly (as in proper disposal is not even required anyway) IF a player then has a reasonable chance to do so.

Not sure what's confusing you.

Does the word correctly have any relevance to you?

Under that description you are wrong. It states that is only holding the ball IF a player who is in a position to legally dispose of the ball does not attempt to get rid of it. Ibbotson was not in a position to legally dispose of the footy therefore a proper attempt could not be made. Also there was no prior opportunity. The rule needs to be more specific but under that description your are wrong.

Agree with whoever said that Saints supporters on this thread and at the game have brough disgrace to their club. The Saints players have been mature and respectful but their fans have not. I can't believe that it is two days after the game and they are still crying havoc.

So according to you if a player gets tackled with no prior he can throw it? Please after 20 years of senior footy that's absurd to even think that. Fact is if you take possession you can't throw it or simply drop it.

When did I ever say throwing is allowed? Throwing is attempting to dispose of the ball "incorrectly" as per the rules in what incorrect disposal is. Ibbotson had no choice in how he disposed of the ball. He was tackled and thrown into the ground, he had no choice but to drop the ball. As per the rules mentioned before, this is allowed.

When did I ever say throwing is allowed? Throwing is attempting to dispose of the ball "incorrectly" as per the rules in what incorrect disposal is. Ibbotson had no choice in how he disposed of the ball. He was tackled and thrown into the ground, he had no choice but to drop the ball. As per the rules mentioned before, this is allowed.

He had a choice and that was to retain possesion he chose to drop the ball. It's a free always has been.

He had a choice and that was to retain possesion he chose to drop the ball. It's a free always has been.

Retaining possession without breaking a tackle is called holding the ball. There is no way he could of kept it legally even if he wanted to. According to common sense and the umpire, Ibbotson wasn't in a position to control the ball when Jones tackled him into the ground. You need to watch the footage again I think.

Retaining possession without breaking a tackle is called holding the ball. There is no way he could of kept it legally even if he wanted to. According to common sense and the umpire, Ibbotson wasn't in a position to control the ball when Jones tackled him into the ground. You need to watch the footage again I think.

I've watched the DVD supplied to all clubs as coach of a senior club. Also discussed the rule with umpires adviser of our comp yesterday. Simply put if you drop the ball while being tackled it's a free. You cannot drop the ball.

Exactly free kick.

You're ignoring everything that has been said. How many times does a ball spill out of a tackle and no free kick is paid. He had no opportunity, couldn't legally dispose of the ball and it spilled out. Hence the play on call. Judging the result on one incident is silly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 4: St Kilda v Fremantle including Live Chat from 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back