Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Bruest, but honestly, he has barely had any impact in us winning games since 2018. He's not in our best 10 players, which is frustrating. That said, Giants backs are really vulnerable to small forwards as Shaw, Whitfield and Williams are ball hunters.

As probably every supporter of every club has said, we should have got Butler. Damn.

A big match against the Giants, you just know Clarko is going to go back to Poppy. I've said we need to stick with Hanrahan, but gee, it's hard to watch. Obviously that insanely bad kick into the 50, no tackling, but did it go unnoticed in the last minute he coughed up a handball that sent North inside 50?

Imagine if Clarko was bold and picked Morris...

Breust missing is a big hit. We’ll need Poppy and maybe Minchington in as well. We can’t have Wingard as the only player in our forward line capable of laying a tackle.

I love Bruest, but honestly, he has barely had any impact in us winning games since 2018. He's not in our best 10 players, which is frustrating. That said, Giants backs are really vulnerable to small forwards as Shaw, Whitfield and Williams are ball hunters.

As probably every supporter of every club has said, we should have got Butler. Damn.

A big match against the Giants, you just know Clarko is going to go back to Poppy. I've said we need to stick with Hanrahan, but gee, it's hard to watch. Obviously that insanely bad kick into the 50, no tackling, but did it go unnoticed in the last minute he coughed up a handball that sent North inside 50?

Imagine if Clarko was bold and picked Morris...
That’s a terrible call. Bruest has been great and we’ll miss him a lot.

Very unfortunate for Breust, but I guess this gives Poppy his last chance. Or does Clarko bring one of the kids up to GWS?

tough little sucker.

given burger and winger can play forward, will they take the opportunity to bolster the midfield grunt?

That’s a terrible call. Bruest has been great and we’ll miss him a lot.

Maybe I have high standards for him, peak Bruest.

34 goals last year isn't horrible, but he kicked one goal or less in 14 games last year. He had over 14 touches eight times. Eight.

This year, he kicked three in round 1, and one each game since. He hasn't had more than 12 touches in any game.

He should be in his peak. He's regressed sharply sadly. A very good player, but I don't think him being out will be the reason we win or lose.

Maybe I have high standards for him, peak Bruest.

34 goals last year isn't horrible, but he kicked one goal or less in 14 games last year. He had over 14 touches eight times. Eight.

This year, he kicked three in round 1, and one each game since. He hasn't had more than 12 touches in any game.

He should be in his peak. He's regressed sharply sadly. A very good player, but I don't think him being out will be the reason we win or lose.
He was our leading goal kicker last season, he had bad ball use coming inside 50 in a team that was regularly losing clearances and inside 50's.

He is for sure still a hugely important player to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was our leading goal kicker last season, he had bad ball use coming inside 50 in a team that was regularly losing clearances and inside 50's.

He is for sure still a hugely important player to us.

Yeah fair point. I just find him and Gunston frustrating in that they are rarely in our best since 2018 and have mostly become periphery players. It's frustrating because they aren't 30, and should be at their peak. I still think if these two are playing at their AA level, we are a massive chance in the next two years.

Yeah fair point. I just find him and Gunston frustrating in that they are rarely in our best since 2018 and have mostly become periphery players. It's frustrating because they aren't 30, and should be at their peak. I still think if these two are playing at their AA level, we are a massive chance in the next two years.
Gunston just needs to be left alone in one role, a forward role and i think we can see that.

Breust i will admit is not at that level of 2018 but if our midfield starts to fire on a more regular basis and we now have the forwards to constantly mark it or at the least bring it to ground we will see him start to improve again. Has not lost any of his craft and that is what has made him arguably the best small forward of the decade.

Clarkson needed something like Breust's injury to take a long hard look at Puoplo/Hanrahan situation..Puopolo will come in for certainty...but Hanrahan...what to do with him. Panics when he doesn't need to. Surely Clarkson will be telling him to have fun and enjoy himself out there. Looks like a deer in headlights...I mean...give another kid a chance and see how he goes please!

tough little sucker.

given burger and winger can play forward, will they take the opportunity to bolster the midfield grunt?
Due to our lack of small pressure forward depth I feel this is how Clarko will do it. I think it will be either Cousins or Jones in for Punky. Chad will unfortunately then play the majority if not all his minutes as a forward and Burgoyne too. I kind of hope he goes for multiple changes and drops Ollie but I just cannot see it happening due to Punky getting hurt. The only way Ollie goes out is if it’s for Poppy.

INS - Jones, Puopolo
OUTS - Breust, Hanrahan

Agree on both fronts, Bruest is a big loss but he and Gunston (especially Gunston) have been a shadow of themselves the past couple of years. They were meant to take the jump as our best players. I hope Clarko brings in Morris, can't wait to watch him ply. Id be excited for Moore also.

Agree on both fronts, Bruest is a big loss but he and Gunston (especially Gunston) have been a shadow of themselves the past couple of years. They were meant to take the jump as our best players. I hope Clarko brings in Morris, can't wait to watch him ply. Id be excited for Moore also.
Gunston was very disappointing Sunday, but had been solid the previous 2 weeks. Tough gig being a fwd these days.

Ollie has played 13 games in a row. Thats giving him a fair crack. Showing faith and giving him games is not in itself a problem but you need to see signs of improvement. To me the same issues are still there each week.

I don't see the harm in giving him a spell and seeing what someone else can offer. We don't know what Jones, Finn or Minch will give us until we give them a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back