Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I would do a Terry Wallace if Nash came in for Punky.

Replacing one of our most reliable kicks for goal with a guy who is up there with Stratton and Will Langford as the worst set shot kicks for goal in Hawthorns history.

Do not get me wrong I think Nash has some great qualities and at the right time he could get a game just not when we lose a sharpshooter and replace him with a guy who could not hit the side of an oversized barn door.
11.8 says otherwise.

Lewis needs to stay in the team. He will get better with more continuity.
I was super excited to recruit Patton but the guy is just too damn slow and immobile for the modern game - as soon as the ball hits the ground he’s cooked. Lewis is the future and needs to play rest of the year IMO..

I was super excited to recruit Patton but the guy is just too damn slow and immobile for the modern game - as soon as the ball hits the ground he’s cooked. Lewis is the future and needs to play rest of the year IMO..

Agree but if Patton is fit he comes in to play his old side at the expense of Lewis who didn't do enough against North. Going off AFL website it looks like it may be Patton, Puopolo and Jones in for Lewis, Breust and Hanrahan - I can live with that

Can you imagine how Gil and his cronies would react if we knocked off GW$ - They would be fuming! What are they goona do though - give us a tougher draw ?

100% a underdone Lewis was still head and shoulders above Patton when the ball hits the deck. Did some nice things coming up the ground, knocks on, ran & chassed provided pressure.
Lewis&Scrimshaw should play everyweek furture 200game players for the club.

Not sure Patton works with BB,Cegs on the field, He might have to force timmy out as chf/ruckrole.

Moore a straight in for Punky. Moore is our hardest worker at BHH and he kicks goals. He finds a way to insert himself into the match. Ollie has more tricks but not that competitive nature. Ross is an opportunist. Walker injured.

With Williams out we can shut their run down if we lock on Shaw. Poppy or Jones could do this better than Ollie or Moore.

Moore a straight in for Punky. Moore is our hardest worker at BHH and he kicks goals. He finds a way to insert himself into the match. Ollie has more tricks but not that competitive nature. Ross is an opportunist. Walker injured.

With Williams out we can shut their run down if we lock on Shaw. Poppy or Jones could do this better than Ollie or Moore.
Shaw looks cooked for mine. They'll swing Whitfield back there probably, and his run is more of a threat.

Haynes the key. We need our fwds to be an aerial threat against this guy. Otherwise he'll just try to outmark them all night. He's an absolute gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll go with tried and tested, which means Puopolo will come in if fit for Breust.

I do think that Jones needs to come in though, his scratch match against Richmond was insanely good. The reports mention 39 touches and 16 clearances, with great compliments to his burst ability out of the pack. I think Hanrahan is clearly at most risk.

There's no way we make any more than 2 changes.

We'll go with tried and tested, which means Puopolo will come in if fit for Breust.

I do think that Jones needs to come in though, his scratch match against Richmond was insanely good. The reports mention 39 touches and 16 clearances, with great compliments to his burst ability out of the pack. I think Hanrahan is clearly at most risk.

There's no way we make any more than 2 changes.
If anything I'd love for Jones to come in just show the rest of the comp that we do have some bloody good youth coming through. I love it like when in the past we've finally debut guys like Sicily and the AFL community are like 'where the heck have Hawthorn been hiding him all this time'. I kind of feel like we just need that youth injection solely to send the fear of god throughout the comp.

you seem to have a better knowledge of the BHH players than me.

I've at least seen Moore in a few AFL games, but have barely seen Jones since I don't watch Box Hill too closely.

What do you believe Jones has that would mean he's a better option to lockdown Shaw that Moore/Ollie don't have.

-Puopolo in for breust (don’t like it but it’s Clarko)
-Jones in for Ollie (he has had his chance). Jones can play as a defensive forward and inside mid

Very interested to see if Lewis keeps his spot over Patton. I think he should.

Few others are lucky we don’t have obvious replacements (Scully, hendo, Gunston) and we’re winning or otherwise would be under pressure.

Big game for cegs - if he gets well beaten again does a change have to be made? I expect BB to play as a loose man, similar to his game vs Richmond as no obvious matchup vs GWS.

Would love to get a view on whether/when we will see Day or Finn this year and if impey in 3 weeks is realistic.

Nash for Hanrahan with instructions to shut down Haynesm With Williams out, Haynes is their only drive out of the backline and it will hopefully help Patton or Lewis (hopefully) exploit the likely loss of Davis. Need a goal kicking threat to replace Bruest, perhaps Jones to mid to allow Wingard more time forward?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nash for Hanrahan with instructions to shut down Haynesm With Williams out, Haynes is their only drive out of the backline and it will hopefully help Patton or Lewis (hopefully) exploit the likely loss of Davis. Need a goal kicking threat to replace Bruest, perhaps Jones to mid to allow Wingard more time forward?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nash isnt ready

Jones to debut I would think. He crushed it against the Tiges reserves and is a midfield grunt that we could really benefit from.

On the Patton or Lewis debate, I'd opt to drop O'Brien personally. Has all the assets to be a great player but drops those marks which we need him to take. I'm getting sick of hearing the commentators say "O'brien, almost".

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back