Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones to debut I would think. He crushed it against the Tiges reserves and is a midfield grunt that we could really benefit from.

On the Patton or Lewis debate, I'd opt to drop O'Brien personally. Has all the assets to be a great player but drops those marks which we need him to take. I'm getting sick of hearing the commentators say "O'brien, almost".
Perhaps it’s just me... but I keep noticing OBrien stop after first effort,, wait a second then go for second effort. Competitive beasts just continue with effort without that split second ‘give up’ that I feel O’Brien suffers from. I’d go Patton and Lewis too.

It's funny. A lot are caught up with what forwards can do defensively. I get that. You can't be a statue.

But give me contested marks, and smalls kicking goals any day. Creates far more pressure in the long run.

I can't have my tall fwds spilling marks and smalls not hitting the scoreboard.

There is no pressure like scoreboard pressure.

It's funny. A lot are caught up with what forwards can do defensively. I get that. You can't be a statue.

But give me contested marks, and smalls kicking goals any day. Creates far more pressure in the long run.

This is what made Cyril so dangerous. Cause you knew if he got you he'd kick a goal. Pressure squared!

Just annoying when we Bomb the ball to packs and it leaves our fwd line so easily due to lack of pressure but agree for the most part

Agree but if Patton is fit he comes in to play his old side at the expense of Lewis who didn't do enough against North. Going off AFL website it looks like it may be Patton, Puopolo and Jones in for Lewis, Breust and Hanrahan - I can live with that

Can you imagine how Gil and his cronies would react if we knocked off GW$ - They would be fuming! What are they goona do though - give us a tougher draw ?

Would not be unhappy with your proposal. We rarely make those sorts of changes after a win though...

Our delivery into the forward line has been an issue for some time. Last week against the Kangas was a case in point.
If we can be more clinical, and the forwards hold their marks (esp Timmy) and crumbers hit it at pace, look out! Easier said than done I realise.

Sure but give us the set shot stats.

I guarantee over 90% of those goals would have been snaps or joe the gooses.

The bloke is a diabolical set shot for goal hence why in my post I said “set shot”
He actually isn't though. Just his shots for hawthorn. At training and at box hill he hasn't been that bad.

Our delivery into the forward line has been an issue for some time. Last week against the Kangas was a case in point.
If we can be more clinical, and the forwards hold their marks (esp Timmy) and crumbers hit it at pace, look out! Easier said than done I realise.
Cough cough Brad Hill cough cough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones to debut I would think. He crushed it against the Tiges reserves and is a midfield grunt that we could really benefit from.

On the Patton or Lewis debate, I'd opt to drop O'Brien personally. Has all the assets to be a great player but drops those marks which we need him to take. I'm getting sick of hearing the commentators say "O'brien, almost".
I hear you mate but I think O'Brien will stay in for a few reasons.
1) His role. He's far more nimble at ground level and is a far more dynamic runner than either Lewis or Patton. So I don't think his role is actually replaced by either of those boys.
2) His tackling pressure. He laid 8 against North and they would have been mostly in the forward half. With Hanrahan struggling to apply pressure and now Breust out I think there is absolutely no way we'll let any more air out of the balloon. We need to keep up that pressure (for that reason I think you're right, likely two out of Poppy, Minch or Jones will come in this week).
3) The reward of consecutive games. O'Brien's best footy came after playing just about every game last year. He's started this year conservatively, but not terribly by any measure. If we keep him in, history shows his form will steadily improve. He's the new Schoenmakers.

I hear you mate but I think O'Brien will stay in for a few reasons.
1) His role. He's far more nimble at ground level and is a far more dynamic runner than either Lewis or Patton. So I don't think his role is actually replaced by either of those boys.
2) His tackling pressure. He laid 8 against North and they would have been mostly in the forward half. With Hanrahan struggling to apply pressure and now Breust out I think there is absolutely no way we'll let any more air out of the balloon. We need to keep up that pressure (for that reason I think you're right, likely two out of Poppy, Minch or Jones will come in this week).
3) The reward of consecutive games. O'Brien's best footy came after playing just about every game last year. He's started this year conservatively, but not terribly by any measure. If we keep him in, history shows his form will steadily improve. He's the new Schoenmakers.
I think Timmy was okay last week, but it is weird that we are now talking about TOB like he is the tallest small forward in the league.

I think Timmy was okay last week, but it is weird that we are now talking about TOB like he is the tallest small forward in the league.
It is weird, but 1 goal, 4 marks (2 contested), 8 tackles, 3 inside 50s, 4 score involvements, plus some decent work in the ruck... I think that's well above a pass mark for Tim. Couldn't have won it without him.

I'm really excited that Minchington might get a game. If he can stay fit over the next few years it will help to fill the hole Puopolo will leave. I also wonder whether Impey might find himself a spot in the forward line when he's back from injury. Scrimshaw is ready to take on that intercept, mop-up, set-up role alongside Sicily, and Impey has played for us in the past as a pressure forward.

Lol some posters need to get off obriens back and im confident he will clunk a couple soon.

Which forward is doing that?

There’s eight teams currently on 2 wins - 2 losses. The importance of this game is huge. A win would set our season up nicely. We need a lift from the entire forward-line.

I am more confident going into this game than the previous 4. I think we match up well against GWS and they just don't cope well with disruption. I think we will choke them.

GWS are also doing poorly in most average stat differentials v their opponents. Their disposal efficiency is high, our is low, but other than that we are ahead in most areas.

If we win and go to 4-1 it will be huge.

Perhaps it’s just me... but I keep noticing OBrien stop after first effort,, wait a second then go for second effort. Competitive beasts just continue with effort without that split second ‘give up’ that I feel O’Brien suffers from. I’d go Patton and Lewis too.

It's an interesting dilemma, hey...

O'Brien actually had a pretty good game against the Kangas; we tend to see just the dropped marks, but he was chasing, involved in link-up plays, hard-ball gets, and was used in the ruck and defence at times, too. He's a more complete player atm than Lewis. He takes just a couple of those marks and converts and you have a pretty good player on your hands.

Behind only Mitchell in tackles and had double the tackles inside fifty (4) than the next best person from either team. Given he is also the guy flying for the mark, if he isn’t putting in the effort, no one is. If you want to put one player under the microscope, at least do it in the context of what other players do 🙄

With the future draw being a moveable feast, this match presents a great opportunity to consolidate our position in the eight. We seem to match up well, particularly in the coaching box, and they have lost much of the run and carry that use to kill us. Bring it on!

I wonder when information about the hubs will come out. I think that we will embrace them better than some other teams. Not very positive signs coming out from the Tigers or Dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5, 2020: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 5 July 2020, 6.10pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back