Review Round 5: Good, Bad & Ugly v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep can take a bit longer than 4 games to get up to afl speed
oh definitely, it's not a concern at the moment but definitely the only reason someone might call him "slow".

he covers ground like few others his size can.

Do you think shaw is quicker than Talia? I have no idea but WW keeps going on about shaws speed. I'm sure I remembered a play today where Talia and Hartigan were both flat out running and Hartigan had Taila covered.
Shaw is quicker than hartigan but that is one of his strengths.

When both hartigan & Shaw went to ground in a marking contest it was Kyle who got up quicker.

Shaw is quicker than hartigan but that is one of his strengths.

When both hartigan & Shaw went to ground in a marking contest it was Kyle who got up quicker.
You recon shaw is? North western pocket, 1st qtr Cameron put far more space on shaw than he did on Talia.

Man, i was so frustrated watching those first 15 minutes and then it was like we hit the switch and started playing the way we wanted too.

Danger :) Jacobs :) (welcome to my fantasy teams i thinks) Dougie showing some aggression. Bout time we showed some oomph. Unlucky that Ward got injured for it though. He'll have a week off (for a perfectly fine bump)

Good
- the win and 4pts
- first win at our new home
- Hartigan, really impressive game
- midfield as a collective unit was fantastic
- Thompson, vintage Thommo
- Danger, played himself into some good form
- Bob Crouch, will embarrass many well paid recruiters for passing on him and for letting him slide topick 23
- JJ, hands were good and finished well

You recon shaw is? North western pocket, 1st qtr Cameron put far more space on shaw than he did on Talia.
Shaw is quicker in a straight line but otherwise perhaps not.

Talia has learnt from truck how to position himself to close down space for his opponent.

For mine one of the best things about the last few weeks is that Jacobs has started play more like a midfielder, taking over 20 possessions around the ground on top of his tap dominance, and usually uses it pretty well for a big man. He only ever used to be a tap ruckman. SO good to see his increased around the ground work, it's added a new dimension to us.

Good:
  • The Crowd. Wow wee. As I've posted in other threads, was the 3rd best home crowd since the start of 2010. Very impressive turnout when everything was going against a big crowd (Except the weather, was a perfect day).
  • The run and quick ball movement in the 2nd quarter. Equally dangerous from last week.
  • Jacobs again, brilliant. For a slow, non agile dude he provides 10x the amount of work around the ground that Naitanui does. Welcome back Sauce.
  • Dangerfield, welcome back as well. 193 supercoach points is a solid sign on a good performance :thumbsu:
  • Jaensch most improved player in the AFL. Providing great run and attacking play down back.
  • Hartigan, dominated down back. I don't think I saw him beaten in the air. Little bit nervous when he has ball in hand though.
  • Thompson, two fantastic performances in a row. Showing the same ball winning ability he had in 2011/2012.
  • How the hell did I forget Crouchy? Sensational, should win the rising star nomination. Would have had 35+ if he played the final quarter.
Bad:
  • The lack of run and slow ball movement in the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters. What a weird performance from the side.
  • Should have buried GWS and won by 90+. From 91-30 in front, only increased the margin by 4 points when we really could have got a massive percentage booster.

Ugly

• Douglas' hit on Ward. He's in trouble I'm afraid. Impact is high and headclash (if there was one) doesn't help him.
  • Pods waiting until the 4th quarter to send me through to the next round of the goal kicking comp. Don't make a 10 goal thumping a nervous afternoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine one of the best things about the last few weeks is that Jacobs has started play more like a midfielder, taking over 20 possessions around the ground on top of his tap dominance, and usually uses it pretty well for a big man. He only ever used to be a tap ruckman. SO good to see his increased around the ground work, it's added a new dimension to us.

2012 he was being used as a midfield link an but his fitness didn't allow him to cover the same amount of ground last year.

This year, he us much fitter and can cover much more ground and get into the correct areas to be used as a link up man.

2012 he was being used as a midfield link an but his fitness didn't allow him to cover the same amount of ground last year.

This year, he us much fitter and can cover much more ground and get into the correct areas to be used as a link up man.
That's right they seem to be finding him a lot this year linking up through the middle, and every time it's **** don't kick/handball to a ruckman. But it's been working well.

The good ......4 points and percentage.

The bad.......Posters who believe unless the Crows win every qtr they have let their supporters down. Modern football doesn't allow for total dominance over any team no matter what their position on the ladder. Rotation caps have put an end to any team running out an entire game.

The Crows started poorly but then dominated the second qtr to the point where GWS were gone by half time. Game over. There is no way the crows could have played that way for 4qts. No team can do that week in week out and expect to keep that up for 22 games plus finals. It's not achievable or reasonable for any clubs supporters to expect them to do so.

My biggest roar for the game was Pods' only goal. No one around me knew the enormity of that kick. #FilthyPigeon

Surprisingly, that was my biggest roar for the match as well but for different reasons.

Was it smith or MacKay who kicked it to him? Quite sure it was MacKay.

Who ever it was, on the members wing he just broke the line, sprinted away from his man and drilled a 50 metre pass into his chest. It was bueatiful. I don't cheer for J-Pod very often.

Thinking about it - not even sure if he kicked it. But man, it was a beautiful pass.

The good ......4 points and percentage.

The bad.......Posters who believe unless the Crows win every qtr they have let their supporters down. Modern football doesn't allow for total dominance over any team no matter what their position on the ladder. Rotation caps have put an end to any team running out an entire game.

The Crows started poorly but then dominated the second qtr to the point where GWS were gone by half time. Game over. There is no way the crows could have played that way for 4qts. No team can do that week in week out and expect to keep that up for 22 games plus finals. It's not achievable or reasonable for any clubs supporters to expect them to do so.
So you missed Sando being extremely pissed in the 4th qtr because we weren't running out the game?

Good
Dangerfield looked as fresh and fit as he has all season.
Jacobs, Jaensch, Smith continued their good form.
Hartigan looks like becoming an asset. Got caught with the footy a couple of times but will acclimatise to the pace of the game.
Great crowd for Easter Sunday lunchtime against a dud team
Thommo's one handed marks
No injuries (I think - M Crouch just cramp?)

Bad
Douglas might miss a game or two
Defenders going to ground too often.
Clearances in the first quarter

Ugly
Nothing really

Other
Betts runs the show in the forward line. He is the boss out there, directing traffic, coordinating.

Did what we had to do against a bottom two team missing some key players.

Great:
Crouch Jnr, a natural footballer.
The prodigal son, Jaensch.

Good:
Jacobs good form = crows good form

Bad
Jacobs good form = crows good form

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 5: Good, Bad & Ugly v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back