Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardwick had a very good game held Heeney to his quietist game for the season.

You were infront for a total of 95mins extra pre-season or two to work on the conditioning and you would turn todays losses to wins.

Not sure sure, we were only in front for 95 minutes due to a combination of you missing gettable chances and our backline holding up admirably. You controlled the match for nearly the whole afternoon.

Losing to Sydney is always a bitter pill to swallow but this years all about building to 2024 (My opinion). Part of the learning experience has to be you have to earn a spot not just because your hearts in the right place. Impeys under done as in not fit and Worps looks lost sometimes, don't know what the story is there. Anybody thinking the umpiring is going to improve is kidding themselves. The quality has been deteriorating for years and the AFL keeps doing bugger all about it. Whats the point of having a goal umpire at all? Any, even remotely, difficult decision is referred to video. Why not just have 2 robotic arms wave the flags. The AFL is like a crappy Council, instead of fixing the road properly they just lower the speed limit.
Agree. And while on umpires WTF was that non call on Buddy being out of bounds. His right foot was over the line as he kicked with the left which resulted in a mark and goal.

Nil Desperandum. There will be other matches, some that will make us proud to be Hawthorn supporters (like last week), and others that are not so great. Disappointing today, but that's life. If we can win win enough games to keep us in the hunt for a finals spot, I'll be happy with that for now. A mate of mine pre-season told me we would be top 4, that really is pushing optimism to the limit. Go Hawks!!! :hawthorn:
You say finals? Not a chance. Don’t even want them there. We’ll have our ups and downs, finish around 12-15 and hopefully inject more young talent. Need the younger players to get to 50+ games to start noticing genuine improvement

Backline looked spent 5 minutes into the last quarter, weight of ball out of the middle took its toll. Going to be one of those seasons where we will win some good ones, lose some bad ones.

Highlights for mine were younger players starting to show something, even if only in patches. More games will develop more rounded and consistent performances.

Lowlights - when our experienced midfield leaks clearances so badly.

But again, we remained competitive for most of the game and it only blew out late. I’m fine to remain patient.

Stifling Mitchell, Nukem and Scrimshaw really reigned us back. Coupled with Sis having an off day, and the opposition not having to worry about a CJ and ML causing headaches - the early lead wasn’t insurmountable.

We do not have the cattle at the moment where wins like the previous round should be the expectation. There is a void in our midfield that can only be addressed with personnel.

Fck that last quarter was hard to swallow but thinking about it more and more we need to put ourselves in the same mindset, vision and ultimate plan that Mitchell has. He wants more silverware nothing more or nothing less. Sure he could have rested Mac, Ward, played Howe, Shiel's, started JOM in most centre bounces etc and what we lose by a bit less or maybe we pinch an unexpected win but at the end of the day how would that place us in 2023/24?

Today fn hurt but I am 100% behind what Sammy is doing in trying to develop the kids because I want more!!!!!!! If the kids on game day can’t run then rest them.

Whilst I acknowledge we're young, for me it's more than that. The commentators said before the game that the $wines had more players with under 50 games experience than us. Every time we lose, we can't just put it down to inexperience etc and say it was another learning ... & every time we win it's not because of youthful exuberance. IMO, the issue largely lies with our midfield. It has for a while now. Lynch was underdone, that's not his fault, Mitchell started with a bang, but then we just got smashed. The $wines mids were stronger, faster, cleaner, batted deeper, ran harder & were more skillful. Our back line was admirable for the most part, but were then inundated. Dermie summed it up beautifully when explaining Frost's game. The forwards largely rely on our mids so what hope do they have? As the game went on, our ability to win the contested ball dissipated as did our ability to get it out of the back line. Were our mids even presenting? Lynch was stuffed by then, so their talls lapped it up. We got off to a strong start no doubt, but the next 3 quarters were like Ali's rope a dope and it ended in a flurry of blows. It's so disappointing to be so close, yet so far.

Go back to the floggings we continually watched from our midfield week after week back in the first hub.

For some reason we have accepted that not winning the ball out of the middle at some stage was ok because we have kept the same crew for the past 3 years doing the same thing.

This year we are seeing the emergence of Newc in there and Reeves was just starting to show something as a tap ruck .

Worpel and Jom have gone backwards and Mitchell is a fighter but struggles when his opponents run forward of the ball .

We tried in the off season to make some changes but clearly had no real interest from other clubs .

Wingards body is not made for midfield minutes. What are our options for now?

Nash runs around trying but lacks footy smarts and skill level and seems to stop the flow of play a lot by going backwards with the ball.

We hope Josh Ward becomes our version of Zac Merrett down the track .

Ned Long?
Lachie Bramble?

Today will be a real eye opener for our coaching team as the swans with Rowbottom Gulden Florent Warner have 4 very very capable young hungry mids to go with Mills Parker Kennedy Heeney etc.

Was Kennedys disposal as bad as Finns when he left?

I know I didn't care that Kennedy left at the time because I thought he couldn't kick over a jam tin... I just hope that Finn turns into this type of player

This is a really good call and something that I think about as I wasn’t a fan of Josh’s disposal.

Finns big knock all the way through the junior ranks has been his kicking .

It is a real awkward ball drop and he needs a lot of work.

Sam Mitch was a surgeon right and left so you wonder how long he gives players with below par foot skills .

This is a really good call and something that I think about as I wasn’t a fan of Josh’s disposal.

Finns big knock all the way through the junior ranks has been his kicking .

It is a real awkward ball drop and he needs a lot of work.

Sam Mitch was a surgeon right and left so you wonder how long he gives players with below par foot skills .
He's an inside mid playing an outside role I reckon. He simply doesn't have the skill to play the outside role.

1650886332834.png

Extra 20 games of experience in their playing group. 12-24 months ahead of their rebuild is a fair assessment. They have also had a lot more access to top end talent. Hit the draft on the pointy end for a few more years and get 50 games into the under 23s and we are building something special.

If we can bottle that first 15 minutes of the game and start doing it for 90 minutes we will be looking at a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree Lickmesocks. Would love it if Mitchell could entice some quality mids to our club. To do this, it's imperative that we make ourselves an attractive proposition. We're turning heads atm, but we need to slap 'em in the face. That's all I'm hoping for this year. Just look at the difference it's made to other clubs.

Ok...so late to the 'party' but just watching the game now...late in the last and feeling a bit frustrated.

Why o why did we keep running with Nash in the last when he was getting absolutely destroyed in the ruck, resulting in easy centre clearances when the game was in the balance?

Lynch attended 1 CBA (for a Hawthorn clearance) in the middle of about 9 CBAs where Nash was pantsted and Sydney were walking it out. Was frustrating to watch.

The thing that annoyed me the most about today was that at the end of every qtr with 30-50 seconds left on the clock we had a kick out and we gifted them a shot on goal every time.

How hard is it to know the time remaining on the ground? Kick it to the boundary and let the ruck take it over the line! Every time we kicked it in we went near the corner of the square - CRAZY, not smart at all. Hope this gets pulled apart in the review cos it cost us a goal in the first, third and a point in the second (should of been a goal).

Is this a direction from the coach to be more attacking? Surely they know tempo footy by now. I can accept the tiring and poor skills but this is basic football knowledge.
this .....coaching panel needs to address ...basics

Ok...so late to the 'party' but just watching the game now...late in the last and feeling a bit frustrated.

Why o why did we keep running with Nash in the last when he was getting absolutely destroyed in the ruck, resulting in easy centre clearances when the game was in the balance?

Lynch attended 1 CBA (for a Hawthorn clearance) in the middle of about 9 CBAs where Nash was pantsted and Sydney were walking it out. Was frustrating to watch.

Yep poor Nashy was completely cooked.

McEvoy and Reeves unavailable is real hard work for us . Imagine what Gawn and Jackson are going to be like . I suspect Callow will have to come in which will allow Kosi to have a run around in the middle at times .

That was probably the worst umpired Hawks match I can recall since Goldspink retired - it wasn’t the reason we lost, but it was damn well the reason I started to lose some of the passion for footy Sam and this group have rebuilt this year.

In terms of the game: DGB looking good now - I feel safer when he kicks it than the rest of the backline bar Scrimshaw now. I was disappointed in the lack of run from Impey and also Day - with no CJ, I was hoping they’d break lines, but no-one did.

Ward gets caught HTB too much - not just this game, but this year. Something for him to work on. I’ve now come to the view that he and CMac play every game unless there’s a risk of injury due to fatigue. Just get games into them. Play Ward on Oliver. We’ll get the same result either way.

From the little Box Hill I’ve seen I’d say Butler has a spark we could use (but maybe not against Melbourne).

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back