Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, no two ways about it.

I am worried. Watching them kick so poorly last night for goal had me gulping thinking they will knock them all in against us.

Short break. Some young lads that look really tired and our third string ruck option against the best ruck and midfield of the past 20 years.

Will the Dees put the foot down and go for the slaughter or take the foot of the pedal and use the game to try some different rotations and players?

Oh, and mental note to never listen to a game Derm is commentating again. Was pretty sickening listening to him fapping over the Swans.
tbf he is an ex swans player.

We really need some adjustments to midfield and have no marking FF. The backline still held for much of the match - but gee how much can they cope. Some of the seniors should have taken those kicks (Michelle and Wingard). When it is your mark take the responsibility specially as a senior.

To be honest I don't get all that frustrated, even the Saints game, watching us this year. All part of being a rebuilding team, we will have highs and lows. Sometimes in game like today.

We clearly run out of legs after an incredible Easter Monday result. Expecting consistency from a young side week to week will send you crazy. Overall, a 3-3 start to the season (including a one point loss) is an overwhelming success.

Positives:

Grainger-Barras. Best game he's played for us. Looked assured.

Wingard. That's his role in a rebuilding team. Provide some value from his forward half touches.

Ward. I thought he used the ball really well today by foot.

Hardwick. He hands down beat Heeney when playing forward.

Finn. Plenty of hate on here, but we should be viewed as a rebuilding side. Part of that is giving the kids a chance to learn through mistakes. He had plenty of influential one-on-one moments today. Lots to build from... Ben Keays was a butcher at the Lions.

Needs some work:

Day. Love him like we all do. But he needs continuity the poor kid. Got beaten a bit today. Didn't have a great deal of impact from his touches.

Harry. It was a pretty brutal second half for him by foot and getting destroyed on the wing.

Newcombe. He's inside 50 ball is a bit of a raffle at the moment. Love that he turns and goes long, but he butchers it a bit. It will come with more games.

Finn. Kicking obviously.

Concern:

Impey. 2 possessions says it all, but he looks pretty heavy at the moment.
Radio commentary (which is what I was restricted to) had DGB as the one who kept Heeney under control for the first half at least

If Melbourne are serious then probably, yeah. But then many also had that expectation for the Cats game after our performance against the Saints. So who knows what we'll get. CJ and Lewis out have proven to be huge losses.
Dees have a huge game against the Saints the week after. We may just get them in a relax week in between big games.

Results don’t worry me. The inconsistency is what it is with us atm and is signature of a rebuilding side.

Still think Sam will try and ship 1 or 2 off come end of year, he’s under no illusion the midfield isn’t good enough yet with its current personnel.

CJ and Lewis, combined with playing a third choice ruckman off an injury just makes it super hard.

Kind of a reverse Carlton game. Turned up in the first but was second best for three quarters of the game.

Sydney like Carlton are 2 years ahead of us in their rebuilds and were able to get the four points.

Pump fifty more games into those guys under 23 and we win both.

I don't remember the losses being so thorough in 06 though. It seemed more like in 06 we were losing games by going 1 goal for the opponents 2. This year it's an avalanche when the opponents get going

This feels more like 2004
We got our fair share of floggings in 2006, 7 losses by at least 45 pts. The last 4 games were the beginning of something special though...

Playing with 2 tall forwards and 1 ruck works great if you can get the ball deep inside 50 like we saw in qrt 1. As soon as the ball hit the deck all the small players swarmed and we were getting consistent shots at goal

The downside is when the ball is stuck at the other end of the ground and we have no release kick to a tall down the line

Easy to say in hindsight, but I think we needed that extra tall today

Only had 3 mids who were competitive today and a ‘managed’ single ruck.

Asking way too much of the 2 young draftees at the moment. Last thing they needed was a midfield hulk in JK come on fresh in the 2nd half.

Got to get Wingard into midfield rotation asap.

Demons this week a scary prospect now off the short break. Will have to play Shiels’ mature body a rest at least one of the boys. Hopefully Bramble has come up fresh and swap him with Impey.

Cannot play one tall v D’s backline. 🤞🏻 Lewis can come up..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worpel had 1 touch in the 2nd half that doesn't cut it for a pure mid long should be his replacement.
Finn was okay but I feel nervous when he has ball in hand, 5 turnovers from his 11 kicks.
Ward and MacDonald looked fatigued (swap either for butler) as did Lynch but that was expected.

Must bring In Callow and stick him ff and let kozi roam up and be that relief kick from defence otherwise gawn will mark em all day.

In: Callow Long Butler Bramble
Out: Worpel Finn Ward/Macdonald Shiels
Impey sub

Only had 3 mids who were competitive today and a ‘managed’ single ruck.

Asking way too much of the 2 young draftees at the moment. Last thing they needed was a midfield hulk in JK come on fresh in the 2nd half.

Got to get Wingard into midfield rotation asap.

Demons this week a scary prospect now off the short break. Will have to play Shiels’ mature body a rest at least one of the boys. Hopefully Bramble has come up fresh and swap him with Impey.

Cannot play one tall v D’s backline. 🤞🏻 Lewis can come up..

Sam said Lewis and CJ will miss the Dees.

Hopefully Callow might get a chance to crack open a few packs .

The game was gone for me once I saw Kennedy activated. Experienced big body and we were already getting walloped in the midfield as it was.

Good to see Chad fit and firing and Morrison played another good four-quarter game. That was the best game I've seen from JOM in a while.
Lynch showed some good signs and will be better for the run. Kozi hit the scoreboard and marked well on the lead a few times which was good to see.
Agree mate. Thought we were still in the arm wrestle and keeping them at a 14-20pt length, but when a fresh JK came on for a lumbering backman to effectively outnumber our midfield it really swung it in their favour. It gave them flexibility and rotations with their mids and they took advantage.

Becoming a preening dead_hit is part of the contract when u sign with fox

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What about the one Jars had the mark and Kanga swung the arm and made contact to his head front on and Derm says “that is play on” despite all the other commentators saying put the pipe down Derm.

He was great today I thought.

Agree. He was super dangerous and looked really lively.

Missed a set shot from 40 early and gave one to Breust and Kosi for goals and passed one to Finn he should of kicked.

Could of easily ended up with 4 goals today on another day .

Some crazy melts this week which I expected after that performance, but to throw out the ol' adage "nothing is ever as good, nor as bad as it initially seems".
Younger team coming off a massive win and less rest than a more experienced oppo coming off a longer rest after a far tidier game.

Thoughts on individual players:

- Finn played his best game in the seniors today for mine. Attacked the ball well, won some important one on ones and fought through to the end. Disposal still untidy at times but that was consistent with everyone else.

- JOM played a very tidy game, looked good from the get go and paired well with Titch/Newc.

- Titch started incredibly well and was a real barometer for us. Once they started putting more into him and Newc we were buggered

- Young master Ward looks due for a rest, I think CMac has another week or two in him before he's due to for one but I think that's because he plays a less intensive role

- Impey worries me a lot at the minute. I know he's coming back from injury, but his output has been really poor- hopefully he lifts asap!

- Wingard looked really good in there with Koz I thought- more delivery to him in there and he was in for a big'n.

- DGB keeps getting better. Him and Scrim make for a scary defensive unit long term. Thought Day was good, but also think he needs a good 5-10 weeks in the side.

Team stuff:

- When we were up, we were up, but when we were down, bloody hell we were down. We need our genuine tap ruck in the side for our style- Lynch was solid early but you could see the structure crumble around him as fatigue hit him. Though Nash is serviceable, him sacrificing his offensive game to ruck kills us.

- Our defensive unit came up against another i50 deluge today. Sic's kicking was well off, but we made his life as hard as possible I felt. Our side will be far better off with Bramble and Cj back down there and Day continuing his slow march down the ground.

- Our F50 structure is really impressive imo. We are highly efficient when we do just about anything other than long bomb it to a comp.

Sucks to lose, but expected to lose this one given the circumstances. Still plenty of hope to land a Sheezel/Tsatas and have 2023 be our announcement year with plenty of little wins throughout the year!

Whilst I acknowledge we're young, for me it's more than that. The commentators said before the game that the $wines had more players with under 50 games experience than us. Every time we lose, we can't just put it down to inexperience etc and say it was another learning ... & every time we win it's not because of youthful exuberance. IMO, the issue largely lies with our midfield. It has for a while now. Lynch was underdone, that's not his fault, Mitchell started with a bang, but then we just got smashed. The $wines mids were stronger, faster, cleaner, batted deeper, ran harder & were more skillful. Our back line was admirable for the most part, but were then inundated. Dermie summed it up beautifully when explaining Frost's game. The forwards largely rely on our mids so what hope do they have? As the game went on, our ability to win the contested ball dissipated as did our ability to get it out of the back line. Were our mids even presenting? Lynch was stuffed by then, so their talls lapped it up. We got off to a strong start no doubt, but the next 3 quarters were like Ali's rope a dope and it ended in a flurry of blows. It's so disappointing to be so close, yet so far.

Last edited:
We were always going to just hold on, or they were going to run over us. Even before the start of the game I thought this. Very disappointing in the end. Mentally immature & our midfield fell apart. The mental strength will come. I also think we were poorly coached in the last quarter. In saying that, can't blame it on youth, they were just as young.
There's standards you set as a football club regardless of whether your rebuilding or not. That last Qtr is not an excuse for youth and I'm fairly sure Sam will think this as well. Have to be better than completely capitulating that way. We have had 2 very poor losses this year. The positive is we have rebounded well from 1. We will lose next week but I'll be looking for a better effort across 4 qtrs because alot of what happened after Qtr time today was through a lack of application and effort which should not be accepted.

Whilst I acknowledge we're young, for me it's more than that. The commentators said before the game that the $wines had more players with under 50 games experience than us. Every time we lose, we can't just put it down to inexperience etc and say it was another learning ... & every time we win it's not because of youthful exuberance. IMO, the issue largely lies with our midfield. It has for a while now. Lynch was underdone, that's not his fault, Mitchell started with a bang, but then we just got smashed. The $wines mids were stronger, faster, cleaner, batted deeper, ran harder & were more skillful. Our back line was admirable for the most part, but were then inundated. Dermie summed it up beautifully when explaining Frost's game. The forwards largely rely on our mids so what hope do they have? As the game went on, our ability to win the contested ball dissipated as did our ability to get it out of the back line. Were our mids even presenting? Lynch was stuffed by then, so their talls lapped it up. We got off to a strong start no doubt, but the next 3 rounds were like Ali's rope a dope and it ended in a flurry of blows. It's so disappointing to be so close, yet so far.
I don’t totally disagree with this. Jai jas been a revelation. I agree with rei154 that no Nash as a pure midfielder doesn’t help. Nash’s tackling and pressure is excellent. I want it more than his reserve ruck work

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back