Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

A young group coming off the highs of a brutal Easter Monday.

The fast start gave us the best chance when the fatigue finally set in. Remember we were playing a more advanced side off a 9 day break who weren't given any competition last week. Planets aligned for the Swans late in the game.

Didn't deserve to lose by as much as we did, but some perspective is needed. Our forwards had periods of dominance then it was our defenders turn once we started losing the clearances. They held up incredibly well all things considered.

A bit more pain to come next week against Melbourne I'm sure, but our fixture will settle soon enough and efforts like we saw early in today's game will result in far more wins than losses.

Liked Kosi's game.
Scrimshaw, Newcombe, Moore, Morrison and Wingard all great for varying reasons.
Maginness and DGB looked like more assured AFL footballers today too.

Lack of run and contested marking options forward of the ball really hurt today.

Desperately missed Lewis up forward, you’d think if he misses another game it might be time for Callow to get a game.

Lynch was great early but doesn’t have the match fitness required yet - could get destroyed by Gawn - not sure we have a back up.

Also need some more strength in the middle, Titch tagged out too easily and not enough support for him. Ned Long??

I thought Duke and Jaegs pretty good too

three blokes doesn't make a deep midfield though. Need a bit more help in there on a consistent basis

They doubled our inside 50s. Ended up with 70. No defence can hold up against that and our midfield really needs work.
Our defence held up well when the ball was coming in. But they also kept themselves under pressure with shocking disposal when trying to get the ball out.

Maginess did well in winning the contested ball, but his delivery is really poor. We were exposed for height in the ruck and the backline. Our delivery out of the backline continually cost us goals. Maybe it's time to try Callow in the backline and then find an extra ruck in the MSD.

Worpel 0 possessions in the last qtr. Must be dropped properly this time and sent to Box Hill.
He should be off the list at the end of the year. Three terrible seasons in a row. He is simply not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You can't single out only Worpel for that last quarter. He was pretty good in the first 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good start, but when Mills turned it on in the 2nd quarter, our Midfield just got smashed unfortunately:(

As much as I have been impressed by Ward and McDonald thus far, this week presents a good opportunity to give them both a breather.

Not fit enough.

7 day break off a really tough game against a side that had 10 days and a bruise free game.

Add to that we missed Lewis and CJ, our ruck hadn’t played a game of footy for a month whilst Day and Wingard have had no continuity

Not sure fitness is really the issue here

credit where its due, Mills was outstanding

but I CANNOT ****ING STAND BEN RONKE against us

Worpel 0 possessions in the last qtr. Must be dropped properly this time and sent to Box Hill.
He should be off the list at the end of the year. Three terrible seasons in a row. He is simply not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bit unfair given he spent most of the last quarter on the bench. Then most of his time ahead of the ball when we weren’t getting it forward.

Was far from our worst today given his first 3 quarters.

Needs to improve but it’s far from write off territory. Especially given his good patches in the last 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back