Preview Round 6, 2023: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 23rd April, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 57 77.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should win. Especially with their half backs out….

But we need to be prepared that they will come out breathing fire and we will need to weather that.

So it will be a good test of our progress and maturity.

Lyon's sides let you have shots but they try to dictate where you get to take them. Usually a long way out or out wide on an angle. Carlton's two key forwards are both above average for long range shot conversion so we probably have to beat them out of the middle and score heavily ourselves. Good timing getting Membrey and Steele back.

Cordy isn't going out, he's the new Zac Dawson. The entire football world thinks he's a dud, but he's doing something that suits Ross's game plan.

Really hope we don't go Bytel as sub, isn't suited to the role IMO.

Zac Dawson was a very good player in a tough role. Cordy would be our lowest ranked player on the ground and playing as a decoy forward. Cordy looks more like Tom Simpkin to me. Someone that comes in when there is an injury and holds a spot.

Gresh needs at least one more game to get into it. Funnily enough I thought the same things about Higgins for Rs 1 - 2 as I do for Gresh now, i.e. looked disinterested, searching for cheapies and bad body language / not getting around teammates when they scored. Was wondering whether he (Higgins in Rs 1 - 2) would fit in under a RtB effort and system first game plan.

Enter round 3 and Snags goes bang; he'd be licking his lips this week with Carlton's defensive line looking a bit ungainly (they seem to play a lot of talls) and inexperienced when it comes to small defenders (if they play Honey and/or Cowan).

It's not like Gresh would have had a lot of time to figure out play style and positioning when working with Cordy and Hammer, just needs a bit of time I reckon.

All that said - we need to stick him deep forward for most of the game, his i50s have been for the most part really sub par and we need goal kickers anyway.

Team meeting required to decide who will take him out ...

KUJFtra.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
what about Steele?
Yeah Steele for Bytel is an obvious one.

I was thinking more about forward structure and how we might set up with Caminiti out.

Campbell into the ruck against Pittonett is a good match up with Marshall playing a more forward role along side Membery.

Not ideal but I reckon its better than Membrey and Cordy.

Gresh needs at least one more game to get into it. Funnily enough I thought the same things about Higgins for Rs 1 - 2 as I do for Gresh now, i.e. looked disinterested, searching for cheapies and bad body language / not getting around teammates when they scored. Was wondering whether he (Higgins in Rs 1 - 2) would fit in under a RtB effort and system first game plan.

Enter round 3 and Snags goes bang; he'd be licking his lips this week with Carlton's defensive line looking a bit ungainly (they seem to play a lot of talls) and inexperienced when it comes to small defenders (if they play Honey and/or Cowan).

It's not like Gresh would have had a lot of time to figure out play style and positioning when working with Cordy and Hammer, just needs a bit of time I reckon.

All that said - we need to stick him deep forward for most of the game, his i50s have been for the most part really sub par and we need goal kickers anyway.
Agree. There were plenty calling for Higgins head at the time too.

I reckon Lyon and Gresh would have had a few good chats through the week and he will come out and have a ripper

Very interesting to see who has been named on the field and bench.

Can't imagine that we're dropping Clark or Stocker. Butler despite low numbers seems like he is playing his role in the system well. So that leaves one place plus the sub.

We'd be mad not to name another tall just in case, I am guessing Cordy last spot and Bytel (sub) or maybe the other way around since the Carlton midfield is the worry; Windy gets minutes with Sandy. Would prefer to give Sharman a run instead of Cordy but I don't think we'll see that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's like a pure bred stallion that's been used by a pair of old cart men with our last two coaches. He has the tools to be a special player. Nearly identical to Mason Wood in the way their careers have gone up to the same point. Injury and form fluctuations with glimpses of what he could be in between.

Billings has a mental side to his game where he seems to become racked with self doubt and over thinking. Lyon is the master of giving players a very simple set of instructions and taking away all the peripheral crap. He looks exactly the type that should shine in that system.
The book Black Beauty comes to mind.

While we are doing well defensively, we need to kick more goals for our forward half entries, and I guess that's why Sharman will be tried out in the forward half, where should always have been played anyway. Butler needs to get on the scoreboard too as a small forward.

Very interesting to see who has been named on the field and bench.

Can't imagine that we're dropping Clark or Stocker. Butler despite low numbers seems like he is playing his role in the system well. So that leaves one place plus the sub.

We'd be mad not to name another tall just in case, I am guessing Cordy last spot and Bytel (sub) or maybe the other way around since the Carlton midfield is the worry; Windy gets minutes with Sandy. Would prefer to give Sharman a run instead of Cordy but I don't think we'll see that.
Windy sub

Bytel to get a full game for Sandy

Can't see any outcome other than Steele and Membrey in for Hammer and Windy who starts as sub. Bytel is a poor choice for sub and needs to start in the 22 if he's selected at all. Personally I'd be dropping Cordy for Campbell, since Tom is a very competent AFL level ruck and IMO is more mobile and more of a goalkicking threat than Cordy (has kicked 4 in an AFL game before). Lyon seems to adore Cordy though so that's not happening.

Have just seen some footage from Footy Classified re: Blues centre clearance work and actually how they buggered it up on the weekend against the Crows.
Over committing at centre clearance, 3 mids being caught the wrong side of the footy after the bounce etc.

Very interesting to see considering I consider that area their strong point (obviously McKay and Curnow are weapons but this relies pretty heavily on firstly midfield dominance then i50 entry).

In a way it's a shame Adelaide taught them that lesson on the weekend because now Voss and co. have the capacity to analyse and re-jig for us.
Interesting nonetheless.

Here's the footage if you want -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back