Autopsy Round 6 geelong lose to collingwood by 29 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The contenders this year are GWS, Adelaide and the Bulldogs. One of those sides will win the cup.
Only very early but have to agree. They look a cut above anybody else, especially when the game is hot and finals-type pressure. Up to us and others to try to bridge the gap and fair bit of time to do it.

Sorry worded it wrong. I wasn't talking about those teams in particular but just the fact that we played very poorly and occasionally lost to the very bad teams (Saints, Carlton, Collingwood).

Still stand by what I said. Would rather take our 2017 team over our 2016 team.

We lost to Collingwood today. We were one free kick away from losing to North Melbourne.

He was among our best players last week and he had plenty of company today if we want to feature poor efforts. Give it a rest.

I think it's the 4th consecutive win by the Magpies over us. Having a quick forward half has been a feature of their wins each time. Sando having a sound knowledge of our players, structures etc would have helped them today, just as the Magpies being super desperate due to their predicament would have helped them too.

At the start of the year most of us would have taken 5 wins 1 loss at this point in a heartbeat. Cheer up.

Sando helped them bugger all thats a massive reach. Any IP he had is years old.

What they would have done is watched the tapes of our ball movement forward of centre the last few weeks compared to last year and setup to counter it. And they did.

Only very early but have to agree. They look a cut above anybody else, especially when the game is hot and finals-type pressure. Up to us and others to try to bridge the gap and fair bit of time to do it.
Geelong just don't have the depth of quality talent. They could perhaps bridge it despite this if they were more disciplined with better structures in place, but we're not going to get that. With the way we play, there are just too many soft, average players in the side.

And before people jump on me, I use soft as a relative term. That is, look at Geelong players attack the contest and apply pressure in comparison to how those top sides do it; Geelong has players like Motlop, Lang, Blicavs, and Murdoch who just don't work anywhere near as hard as they need to for the side to be a premiership threat. It's why we always fail in finals.

I thought our intensity was ok but structures all wrong we outnumbered them at stoppages but on the wrong side and let them flick it out the back, they deliberately gave us the fat side open to let us switch sides to give them time to shift their numbers and flood back and we kept doing it.

Letting them play a zone allowed them to push numbers deep and protect their ordinary defenders and those defenders who cant kick werent put under pressure as they are kicking to spare numbers. We should have gone 1 on 1 much earlier.

If we play that game right tactically we win by 5 goals easily. Fail today.
Needed a lead up forward, bombing long all day did my head in.

We have alot of work to do if we think we are going to be able to compete against the likes of GWS, Adelaide and the Dogs and be part of the top 4. Talking of Adelaide they are absolutely smashing Richmond at the moment. Scary stuff. I know its a long season but man they seem to already have 1 hand on the premiership cup it seems.

Cmon Cats lift and bounce back from this insipid effort.

Adelaide cant win well enough at the G they wont win the flag. Nor will WC for the same reason and GWS are unknown.

Bulldogs are a worry to us if they can get it together.

- hated seeing Parfitt go down, as he was one of the few that looked dangerous with the ball all day. It was right in front of us, and it pains me to say it, but it looked like a serious tear. I reckon an operation and out for 2017.

- Loved Cockatoo flying the flag for Selwood (more than once too). Needed more of it.

Hate losing to Collingwood, but would have taken 5-1 at the start of the year in a heartbeat.

On these 3 points:

Parfitt has shown the greatest promise as a player since Selwood. Guthrie next best... Today he owned space and time when he had the ball. Gutted his effort to get himself to a 3 on 1 broke his hammy. May he have the best recovery. Hello Parsons.

Cocky flying the flag is excellent. Bring it every week.

Hate losing but agree 5 and 1 would have taken in a second prior to the season. Efficiency cost us and was maximised by the Pies. "Even the sun shines on a dogs ass one day a year"

What was Selwood complaining about to Pendlebury after the game? Not a great look
Because Greenwood is grub. Scragged him all day.
Hope when he gets his just desserts he just cops it sweet.

Sando helped them bugger all thats a massive reach. Any IP he had is years old.

What they would have done is watched the tapes of our ball movement forward of centre the last few weeks compared to last year and setup to counter it. And they did.
Collingwood worked there arses off to get back into defence because they knew where the ball was going; we need to be smarter going forward, especially if our ball movement is slowed down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had an on third quarter but still woeful the rest of the match. No more so than Blitz but he was still disgraceful. They were rag rolling him by the end. He is trash.
He was bad in a normal game but there are about eight worse then him today including blicavs. Smith atleast put up one good qtr and did well to block the hole in defence. He is the only ruck we have who can consistently have over twenty hit outs a game and until this week has been closer to 40 then twenty. Blicavs has now had three games this season with less than 10 and a few only barely over. He aint a viable ruck option who can turn it on in the ruck when our main ruck is struggling ala a barry stoneham.

Needed a lead up forward, bombing long all day did my head in.

This would help but we won the last 5 wks without one. How you move the ball helps as much as the personnel.

Boggles the mind that everyone and their dog can see that Collingwood struggle badly when pressure is applied, yet we just let them run around and do what they wanted, we lacked pressure badly today, they just didn't stop running all day, players everywhere, with 30m of space around them.

That is not acceptable because all that tells me is we weren't prepared to put in today, we didn't care, didn't even give a yelp today. Credit to Collingwood because they did play well but we were truly atrocious, fumbling, missed handballs, dropping easy marks, poor decisions.

Correction. They struggled badly when pressure was applied well. It's one thing to try and hassle the bloke with the ball all the time. It's another thing altogether to do it, but he a fraction late in getting to him, in applying the tackle, in trying to apply a spoil etc.

I lost count of the number of times today our players' effort to get to the ball recipient was good, but was a split second too late, and Collingwood got the resulting clearance.

We seemed to be afraid to use the corridor the whole match, considering how bad our midfield was going we really needed to counter attack quickly.

And the corridor-phobia may have made some amount of sense if it had at least been part of some concerted effort to ensure the match was played through the wings, with both sides forced wide, but we seemed to almost surrender the corridor to them and allow them to play through it. Our defensive guarding of the center of the ground (cue the obligatory Josh Cowan references) when the Pies were on the rebound was atrocious.

Geelong just don't have the depth of quality talent. They could perhaps bridge it despite this if they were more disciplined with better structures in place, but we're not going to get that. With the way we play, there are just too many soft, average players in the side.

And before people jump on me, I use soft as a relative term. That is, look at Geelong players attack the contest and apply pressure in comparison to how those top sides do it; Geelong has players like Motlop, Lang, Blicavs, and Murdoch who just don't work anywhere near as hard as they need to for the side to be a premiership threat. It's why we always fail in finals.

Agree on the soft terminology here in the context you have used.

Id amend the always fail in finals. Got 3 cups that say otherwise to that.

However, recently you could go with poor finals record when the softer players - related to the context - are found out.

Go Catters

Agree with you on Lang definitely - very soft at the contest and watching him off the ball, no gut running or intensity whatsoever. Needs a rocket up him. I think Motlop works hard and you do need outside runners but too many stuff ups from him. Blicavs is polarising - some weeks I see why they play him and see what he brings, then the next he looks lost. Actually you could say that about a lot of our players.

We predictably lose to collingwood. Wasnt the slightest surprise to anyone.

Ill be dark on Scott and the group if they cant fix our flaws against them and engineer a win in the return game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6 geelong lose to collingwood by 29 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back