Round 6 The Sydney Swans vs. The Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a rumour Fevola is also carrying some ongoing injury. Brown is obviously struggling, which offsets us losing C Bolton, who's probably been the best defender on Brown in the past 6-8 years.

Brown will likely miss and you could see Mitch Clark go to either CHF or CHB.

The biggest thing in the lions favour is they didn't play on the weekend so should be fresher;)

Monty could return for the Lions this week, interesting
Oh good, maybe he'll finally hit a few Swans targets now he's not playing for us anymore...He was bloody awful last year and I was very glad to see him go. Good luck to him and all, but he was shite...Will be interesting from the viewpoint of whether Voss can do a Roosy and bring out something new from a discarded player...

Ves has proven form against the Lions.I recall the last game in 2008 when he and Moore tore Brisbane apart,scored a bag of goals between them and got the Brownlow votes.A repeat of that would be good!!!!!!!!

Anyone have the betting odds and line for this game? I can't find a link that isn't blocked by my work firewall. Thanks.

P.S. very keen and confident for this game, unfortunately can't make it to the SCG :(

That is scarey. Maybe they know something about Brown's injury?

Perhaps those odds were formed on the analysis of the form of both teams. Brisbane were unimpressive in round 5 while the Swans put in a team effort to pound West Coast by 50+.

Coupled with the fact that it's a home game for Sydney, i'd agree with the bookmakers on this one.

Perhaps those odds were formed on the analysis of the form of both teams. Brisbane were unimpressive in round 5 while the Swans put in a team effort to pound West Coast by 50+.

Coupled with the fact that it's a home game for Sydney, i'd agree with the bookmakers on this one.

Plus, Jonathan Brown and Daniel Merrett, could both be out which dents their chances. I am still a bit nervy about this game, even though, we should win it. Especially with Merrett out, they don't have enough defenders to cover our forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot being said about their defenders struggling to contain our forwards if they have outs. What I would like to see is our ratio of inside 50's increase to that of the opposition. Yes we rebound well out of defence but if we come up aginat a team that is on then the supply needs to be cut. Our accuracy can be woeful at times so if we are up against the top brass we would want our inside 50's to increase dramatically to the opposition/ St Kilda couldn't miss where as Richmond and West Coast I believe had plenty of inside 50's just not the cattle to convert. Only takes a half for fev when he is on to kick a bag. Sherman can bang them from outside. Middle has to be on this week.

Vespa should come in after kicking 5 goals & showing some form. We need to always pick our most in form player when injury/bad form strikes a player down. Vespa the logical choice.

IMHO Nick Smith showed he can cover for Bolts

Swannies 6-1 yeah baby!

A lot being said about their defenders struggling to contain our forwards if they have outs. What I would like to see is our ratio of inside 50's increase to that of the opposition. Yes we rebound well out of defence but if we come up aginat a team that is on then the supply needs to be cut. Our accuracy can be woeful at times so if we are up against the top brass we would want our inside 50's to increase dramatically to the opposition/ St Kilda couldn't miss where as Richmond and West Coast I believe had plenty of inside 50's just not the cattle to convert. Only takes a half for fev when he is on to kick a bag. Sherman can bang them from outside. Middle has to be on this week.

Exactly! Even though we won well against West Coast, they had enough inside 50's to have posed a huge threat had they converted/passed better to their forwards. Same with the North Melb game....mids really need to tighten up..

Vespa should come in after kicking 5 goals & showing some form. We need to always pick our most in form player when injury/bad form strikes a player down. Vespa the logical choice.

IMHO Nick Smith showed he can cover for Bolts

Swannies 6-1 yeah baby!

If Brisbane line up Brown, Fevol, Brennean and Staker forward - Than Smith is not going to be able to cover. The Greatest thing about Bolton defence, other than being so bloody good of course, is his versatility in being able to pick up tall and pick up small.

Smithy will be staying in the team but we are in danger of allowing Voss to expose for height down back from natural defenders if Richards does not come in the team. Sherman would be a natural pick up if he comes back for Smithy.

Exactly! Even though we won well against West Coast, they had enough inside 50's to have posed a huge threat had they converted/passed better to their forwards. Same with the North Melb game....mids really need to tighten up..

I thought about that stat too but you know, I think it was more about WCE just banging it in long. Sure it got them an i50 stat but it counted for bugger all as we just set up our attack from the rebound.

I do share some concern with the quality of this week's opposition. They're not the easy-beats of the past 4 weeks. Brisbane are the first team of quality we've met since the Saints so it'll be a good test. Let's hope we pass.

Here's a Swan from a Brussels bakery for luck.
ofluxv

My son said, "Look Dad, a Swan. If we buy it the Swans will win this week". As the boys tucked in to the cream and custard filled choux pastry delight I wondered if I'd been conned :eek:

Oh good, maybe he'll finally hit a few Swans targets now he's not playing for us anymore...He was bloody awful last year and I was very glad to see him go. Good luck to him and all, but he was shite...Will be interesting from the viewpoint of whether Voss can do a Roosy and bring out something new from a discarded player...

Short memory :confused: He kicked us the winning goal in 2005 GF and for that I'll always be grateful. :thumbsu:

To be fair he had a horror run with injuries last year but was in the Lions best in the pre-season. As a forward he is very defensive and it's that sort of defensive pressure that can bring our running rebound game unstuck.

Good gutsy player to watch. I wish him the best (as I have to all the Swans ex-Players except Shannon Grant who was a sooky mummy's boy big girls blouse)

Short memory :confused: He kicked us the winning goal in 2005 GF and for that I'll always be grateful. :thumbsu:

To be fair he had a horror run with injuries last year but was in the Lions best in the pre-season. As a forward he is very defensive and it's that sort of defensive pressure that can bring our running rebound game unstuck.

Good gutsy player to watch. I wish him the best (as I have to all the Swans ex-Players except Shannon Grant who was a sooky mummy's boy big girls blouse)
I don't have a short memory, it's just that he was not performing to the levels he reached in 2005, and like you said he was a good defensive forward for us, but last year (and I would've said 08 to a lesser extent) he had a very poor year, plus his defensive pressure dropped right off and his disposal was terrible.

I never said I wished I'm ill at the Lions, and he played in a premiership with us, which no-one can take away. He looked tired and in need of a change, and that's what happened. I hope he has a great year (except against us, of course):thumbsu:

p.s. I kinda feel the same way about Jolly as you do about Grant, except it was his sooky wife...

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 6 The Sydney Swans vs. The Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back