Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah let's throw the baby out with the bathwater and then demolish the bathroom.

Well if a guest is only 3 foot tall and they piss on the floor because the toilet is too high for them you need to give them some steps or you'll be cleaning up a mess. We need to do something about structure because what Port did last night is exactly what Melbourne do best. Cut you off and attack from it. If we play that same game we'll lose by 10+ goals.

Id love to know what the club selling the game to up north had anything to do with reason we lost , talk about a pile on , there were other reasons we lost the game than because the club "Sold it "
The club took the boys up there on Wednesday and they looked like they were still in Holiday mode to me

It didn't look to me at all that any of our older players had the cue in the rack in the last qtr

We just didn't take the opportunities we should have

Not sure effort was a huge factor in the game

I thought they looked mentally like they didn't even believe that there was hope. It looked like we thought we were 10 goals down. Crouch types were at half pace. Naz stood out because he did stuff to attack. Most of the others stood in defence hoping to stop the margin blowing out.

That score line looks like a "noble loss" but it was not. That was a real psychological collapse type of game where we did all the work to be 5+ goals up at quarter time and just cracked under the pressure of expectation. Even when Port tried to give it back to us we couldn't muster the mental fortitude to get it done. Naz was still going for the win in the last quarter while lots of older players racked the cue and started packing their bags for the trip home.

To me that's the opposite to noble or honourable. It was real feeble minded bed wetting stuff. It needed some one to stand up and nobody did.
We just didnt kick straight.

Anything else - bed wetting, not mustering mental fortitude, basically giving up in the last quarter or cracking under pressure of expectation - is just an overreaction and attempt to say the sky is falling over a loss.

Id love to know what the club selling the game to up north had anything to do with reason we lost , talk about a pile on , there were other reasons we lost the game than because the club "Sold it "
The club took the boys up there on Wednesday and they looked like they were still in Holiday mode to me

They played well for a quarter but we still wet the bed if we hear a loud noise. If we want to progress we have to get mentally harder. Melbourne did it last year and Freo seem to have hardened up so it's possible but to me that puts us out of serious finals talk until we address it.

In the same vein of selling the game didnt cost us the game, what part of not kicking straight equates to holiday mode?

We dominated much of the game and let ourselves down in front of goal. That is what determined the result.

We just didnt kick straight.

Anything else - bed wetting, not mustering mental fortitude, basically giving up in the last quarter or cracking under pressure of expectation - is just an overreaction and attempt to say the sky is falling over a loss.

It's observation. The kicking straight is an absolute prime example of stealing defeat from of the jaws of victory. The last few years we have done the same thing. You can pretend that it doesn't matter but to be a top 4 side that has to come from somewhere. Maybe it will come from age and experience but we won't go anywhere until we can stand up when pressure comes on us.

Billings seems to be a guy who does it routinely too. We need to get a psych in badly.

Well if a guest is only 3 foot tall and they piss on the floor because the toilet is too high for them you need to give them some steps or you'll be cleaning up a mess. We need to do something about structure because what Port did last night is exactly what Melbourne do best. Cut you off and attack from it. If we play that same game we'll lose by 10+ goals.
King was still the most dangerous forward on the ground and has been our best forward all year but sure let's chuck him in the ruck. I'm sure May and Lever will be terrified when Cooper Sharman makes his way to full forward and Marshall lines up in the backline.

It's observation. The kicking straight is an absolute prime example of stealing defeat from of the jaws of victory. The last few years we have done the same thing. You can pretend that it doesn't matter but to be a top 4 side that has to come from somewhere. Maybe it will come from age and experience but we won't go anywhere until we can stand up when pressure comes on us.

Billings seems to be a guy who does it routinely too. We need to get a psych in badly.
We've been fine under pressure the past few weeks and had a poor night. Doesnt make them bed wetters, feeble, unable to handle pressure or whatever other term you are throwing that way.

Of course we have a bloody psych. It is fairly well publicised. Ben Robbins has been doing a great job and we probably invest more into that area of the game than any other club. A bad night in front of the sticks doesn't change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You kinda answered your own question there. I saw the crowd was only 6000
They played well for a quarter but we still wet the bed if we hear a loud noise. If we want to progress we have to get mentally harder. Melbourne did it last year and Freo seem to have hardened up so it's possible but to me that puts us out of serious finals talk until we address it.
i thought I’d seen a few games this year already when they’ve stood up under pressure. Only last week would be one of them . A very professional win .
It’s a simple case to me of king and Higgins missing either because of application or mental demons .
Also in the early games Membrey was slotting them to take the pressure off but he was smashed by Allir.

Also just saw that there was only 6000 fans there . Surely 10000 at moorabbin would be a better option.

King was still the most dangerous forward on the ground and has been our best forward all year but sure let's chuck him in the ruck. I'm sure May and Lever will be terrified when Cooper Sharman makes his way to full forward and Marshall lines up in the backline.

I don't care if they are terrified. We seemed to not be able to resist kicking it to King because he's the obvious target. If we do that against Melbourne we will lose. I'm not wedded to anything but winning structure. What we are doing won't work and in fact would be the best way to tank against them. Membrey and Cooper offer a less obvious avenue to goal and can get out in space where King demands a drop it on my head type of entry.

You obviously haven't watched much of Melbourne before. We need to re think how we play because if we have 2 players that can score big bags and not much else we will get taken apart.

You kinda answered your own question there. I saw the crowd was only 6000

i thought I’d seen a few games this year already when they’ve stood up under pressure. Only last week would be one of them . A very professional win .
It’s a simple case to me of king and Higgins missing either because of application or mental demons .
Also in the early games Membrey was slotting them to take the pressure off but he was smashed by Allir.

Also just saw that there was only 6000 fans there . Surely 10000 at moorabbin would be a better option.

They have made inroads this year, there has been a couple of grind it out mature wins but that was straight out of last year. It looked like a psych out type of loss but in a game that should have had no real pressure. It looked like a battle within their own heads after butchering shots early.

We've been fine under pressure the past few weeks and had a poor night. Doesnt make them bed wetters, feeble, unable to handle pressure or whatever other term you are throwing that way.

Of course we have a bloody psych. It is fairly well publicised. Ben Robbins has been doing a great job and we probably invest more into that area of the game than any other club. A bad night in front of the sticks doesn't change that.

Robbins might need replacing then. If we are spending big and not getting results he's another Trout who might be a great bloke but isn't getting the players better at handling pressure.

I don't care if they are terrified. We seemed to not be able to resist kicking it to King because he's the obvious target. If we do that against Melbourne we will lose. I'm not wedded to anything but winning structure. What we are doing won't work and in fact would be the best way to tank against them. Membrey and Cooper offer a less obvious avenue to goal and can get out in space where King demands a drop it on my head type of entry.

You obviously haven't watched much of Melbourne before. We need to re think how we play because if we have 2 players that can score big bags and not much else we will get taken apart.
Yes you're right, get our best forward out of the forward line so that we don't kick it to him as much it will confuse the hell out of them!

Robbins might need replacing then. If we are spending big and not getting results he's another Trout who might be a great bloke but isn't getting the players better at handling pressure.
Classic saying someone needs sacked moments after finding out they exist because we had 1 bad game when we have been handling pressure fine all season.

I think it might be semantics. 3 games and he's "managed". It's either football club for injured or dropped.
Well he clearly wasn't dropped from the VFL side after kicking 3 goals.

Yes you're right, get our best forward out of the forward line so that we don't kick it to him as much it will confuse the hell out of them!

I said ruck forward him. If he's less targeted he can still contribute but not in a way that helps them. I honestly don't care but they need to use their heads because on last nights set up it will be playing into Melbourne's hands.

Classic saying someone needs sacked moments after finding out they exist because we had 1 bad game when we have been handling pressure fine all season.

Classic saying we spend more on him than any other club but keep him even if he doesn't get results.

I said ruck forward him. If he's less targeted he can still contribute but not in a way that helps them. I honestly don't care but they need to use their heads because on last nights set up it will be playing into Melbourne's hands.
We've won five games this year and lost two, is it possible to just give the side the benefit of the doubt after a bad night without calling for sackings and a total structural change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back