Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Still think you guys are a force to be reckoned with - not looking forward to playing you guys twice. Every team usually has a loss like this one through the course of the home and away season - combo of bad luck and bad kicking, crap conditions
Actually think you’re a big chance of knocking off the dees next week - hawks nearly did it.

Structurally it would probably be a good thing for the Dees game. If we play every ball through him Melbourne will pick us off. I'm not advocating for it but if you had a spread of smalls like Long and maybe even Coops in there we are a lot less target focussed and could get out the back easier.

Perhaps drop Campbell and ruck forward him. Sit Marshall across HB. Coops stay home KPF.
So mixing wine is a psychedelic?

Classic saying we spend more on him than any other club but keep him even if he doesn't get results.
What do you call the last 5 rounds rounds and our improvement in handling pressure, mentally staying present in games even when momentum is going against us and turning poor goal kicking around mid-game?

Someone isn't bad at their job because we had a bad display this week.

All you have to do is listen to some of the interviews Lienert has given since joining the club to know the large investment we are making in this space is ahead of other clubs and is very beneficial for the playing group.

There's not a lot to learn from this putrid excuse for a game. It should have been a comfortable win but sh*t goal kicking put us under pressure.

Bury it and move on.

Max needs to get his head on straight.

Let's get some players back and go after the Dees. We'll see where we are at after that game. Last night was the 17 year old with everything going for him who got blackout drunk and hit on his mate's Gran. Best forgotten.

I think we just put it down to both teams in a scrap, the ball being like a bar of soap and a genuine raffle as to who was ahead at the end of the game.

I don't think the performance is indicative of anything.

And gee, that's easily the worst game of football I've ever watched. I get why we're playing up there but the AFL need to end this nonsense now. What an absolutely shocking advertisement for the sport.

I remember thinking at the end of the 1st Qtr that we had failed to capitalise on our dominance and it could come back to bite us, but IMO the 3rd Qtr was where most of the damage was done.

1st Qtr
24 inside 50s and we kicked 2 goals 3 points. We didn't make the most of the ample opportunities to score. Bloody frustrating!

3rd Qtr
11 inside 50s only, and we kicked 7 points. We made the most of our limited Inside 50s but failed to kick straight. Only needed to convert one!
Oh well. Hopefully the Storm can win and salvage my weekend!

I think we just put it down to both teams in a scrap, the ball being like a bar of soap and a genuine raffle as to who was ahead at the end of the game.

I don't think the performance is indicative of anything.

And gee, that's easily the worst game of football I've ever watched. I get why we're playing up there but the AFL need to end this nonsense now. What an absolutely shocking advertisement for the sport.
If we have to go back next year, we should look into doing it later in the season during the game. Might be less slippery in the middle of the day.

If we have to go back next year, we should look into doing it later in the season during the game. Might be less slippery in the middle of the day.
I can't believe the AFL actually thought a night game in April would be a spectacle. We are trying to grow the game up there, that's probably not the way to do it.

We've won five games this year and lost two, is it possible to just give the side the benefit of the doubt after a bad night without calling for sackings and a total structural change?

Or can you tailor your game against specific opponents so that you don't give them an advantage?

What do you call the last 5 rounds rounds and our improvement in handling pressure, mentally staying present in games even when momentum is going against us and turning poor goal kicking around mid-game?

Someone isn't bad at their job because we had a bad display this week.

All you have to do is listen to some of the interviews Lienert has given since joining the club to know the large investment we are making in this space is ahead of other clubs and is very beneficial for the playing group.
Literally last week he was getting praise for pulling Higgins aside and talking to him a quarter time after his early misses and making sure he stayed out of his own head and kept presenting. Now we're sacking him :laughing:

I can't believe the AFL actually thought a night game in April would be a spectacle. We are trying to grow the game up there, that's probably not the way to do it.
I wonder if it with had to do with wanting to lock in the dates/time slot with the rolling fixture.

Whoever made the call, it was the wrong one. Football is unplayable in those conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally last week he was getting praise for pulling Higgins aside and talking to him a quarter time after his early misses and making sure he stayed out of his own head and kept presenting. Now we're sacking him :laughing:

I'd rather sacrifice him in fire but sacking works too. Did we not take him with is this week because he didn't seem to be very effective.

I wonder if it with had to do with wanting to lock in the dates/time slot with the rolling fixture.

Whoever made the call, it was the wrong one. Football is unplayable in those conditions.

It was the China game moved maybe. We sold the game to Port but can't play there so had to play it in an available neutral stadium.

Talk of shouldn’t play up there, sold 4 points...
Well we should be able to win in the wet.
What happens if it’s raining in Melbourne in September?

It was very unfortunate, those conditions played straight into ports hands and brang us down to their level.

Still think we would have smashed them if it was dry.

One of those 18 behinds a goal and we win.

Can’t all be winners.
Move onto next week.

The first 7 rounds were the ones initially locked away at the start of the season right? If so then your guess could be on the money.

It was the China game moved maybe. We sold the game to Port but can't play there so had to play it in an available neutral stadium.
I think it replaced the China game for us but was a seperate deal. We played Adelaide in the equivalent game last year so I dont think it's connected to needing to play Port at a neutral venue.

Talk of shouldn’t play up there, sold 4 points...
Well we should be able to win in the wet.
What happens if it’s raining in Melbourne in September?

It was very unfortunate, those conditions played straight into ports hands and brang us down to their level.

Still think we would have smashed them if it was dry.

One of those 18 behinds a goal and we win.

Can’t all be winners.
Move onto next week.
Victorian winters and Cairns last night is completely different obviously. We don't get that extreme humidity.

Last night I could see exactly why North Queenslanders think afl is shit and call it aerial ping pong.
No wonder they prefer the football where u don’t use your feet.

If you’re gonna sell your games, sell them to a place that is capable of holding footy. This club is destined to achieve nothing.
Richmond used to sell games to play in Cairns and couldn’t win either. They were nothing but an underachieving average club then. Sadly I think you can probably say the same as us.
Just when we all think we’ve finally turned a corner we dish that up. Typical

Last night I could see exactly why North Queenslanders think afl is shit and call it aerial ping pong.
No wonder they prefer the football where u don’t use your feet.
It was just complete shit to watch wasn't it. I'm not going as hard on the boys as some others. We have been good this year up until last night, which I don't think was our fault anyway. It was like an under 9's game, Port just happened to be leading at the end. 4.18 v 5.13 pretty much says that both teams were shit...largely due to the rubbish conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back