Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked like they used the same ball for at least each quarter. Wonder if that made it more slippery than changing balls every time a goal is scored.
The first few minutes of each quarter were so clean then it just turned to shit. After half time they kicked two quick goals, final quarter Max kicked one then missed. That miss was basically the difference.

The first few minutes of each quarter were so clean then it just turned to shit. After half time they kicked two quick goals, final quarter Max kicked one then missed. That miss was basically the difference.
Max flips the ball around too much during his walk in. He’s a step or two away from kicking and still not holding the ball right. No wonder they come off the boot so badly

Looked like they used the same ball for at least each quarter. Wonder if that made it more slippery than changing balls every time a goal is scored.
They have a ball bag at each end. After a goal the ball person throws it to the boundary umpire who runs it back to the centre

I know which is worse, watching last night's game or reading the majority of these posts. The game was truly horrible and played in conditions that made getting a clean possession both skill and luck. The hysteria, irrationality and stupidity of far too many of these posts is worse than how we played, or were coached, or are being administered. It's really weird shit!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what the 50m was for that led to their goal?
That's a very fine question that I don't think anyone can answer.

I posted this screenshot last night - can't imagine it could have been dissent because it was pretty straight forward decision against Jimmy Webster who didn't move off the mark.

Dougal is following his man so that means the only culprit could be Jack Steele for "encroaching" into the protected area.

Now if this is within 5 metres then the game is going to change a heap because the minimum distance for a mark is supposedly 15 metres.

Nearly every short kick must be play on from now on!!!

1651369666384.png

It's observation. The kicking straight is an absolute prime example of stealing defeat from of the jaws of victory. The last few years we have done the same thing. You can pretend that it doesn't matter but to be a top 4 side that has to come from somewhere. Maybe it will come from age and experience but we won't go anywhere until we can stand up when pressure comes on us.

Billings seems to be a guy who does it routinely too. We need to get a psych in badly.
The plus side of a sports psych would be huge...i would have thought it was already in place! In regards to your overall leap into despair over this loss I think that jumping on board the 'woe is us' mentality is something the sports psyche would certainly advise against from both a player and supporter perspective...

Perhaps it is us that have need of the sage wisdom of the psych for too quickly making that leap. Bearing in mind for the sake of a kick in a home and away game, right now we'd be saying, "Shit game bank the points...move on ..learn what we can ...get back to the Big Smoke and lets take on the biggest and the best in the DEES".

Isn't the type of 2nd guessing and recriminations we are going through now the real shitting of the bed!
Fair enough if this had been a performance that was one of many dismal showings. I think as supporters it is easy to forget the improvement and jump back where we as SAINTS supporters feel most comfortable.......in the cellar self flagellating!

So much of the criticism we level is excellent and timely and we sure have to learn from last night...but on the good side ...we came through injury free did we? I hope so! Lets look at this Port game for what it was...a loss mitigated by poor kicking and some poor play. An intermittent drop in form from what has been an impressive start to the season.

We may well find that this narrowest of losses serves us well next week against the DEES. It may serve to temper our blade with realism!

Last edited:
Angry Big Sky GIF by ABC Network

Stop spinning the ****ing ball around!!!

That's a very fine question that I don't think anyone can answer.

I posted this screenshot last night - can't imagine it could have been dissent because it was pretty straight forward decision against Jimmy Webster who didn't move off the mark.

Dougal is following his man so that means the only culprit could be Jack Steele for "encroaching" into the protected area.

Now if this is within 5 metres then the game is going to change a heap because the minimum distance for a mark is supposedly 15 metres.

Nearly every short kick must be play on from now on!!!

View attachment 1388722
To pull that out of their arse in a game with so few goals is criminal.

Still think you guys are a force to be reckoned with - not looking forward to playing you guys twice. Every team usually has a loss like this one through the course of the home and away season - combo of bad luck and bad kicking, crap conditions
Actually think you’re a big chance of knocking off the dees next week - hawks nearly did it.
Hey, stop making me like Sydney fans!

We are basically chasing a sugar hit. In doing so we throw money away by not playing finals, better positions on the ladder and so on.

It's been a huge issue in the last 10 years. We have this weird austerity obsession where we won't spend money on things to move forward and stagnate in football purgatory instead. Winning brings memberships which brings real money.

The plus side of a sports psych would be huge...i would have thought it was already in place! In regards to your overall leap into despair over this loss I think that jumping on board the 'woe is us' mentality is something the sports psyche would certainly advise against from both a player and supporter perspective...

Perhaps it is us that have need of the sage wisdom of the psyche for too quickly making that leap. Bearing in mind for the sake of a kick in a home and away game, right now we'd be saying, "Shit game bank the points...move on ..learn what we can ...get back to the Big Smoke and lets take on the biggest and the best in the DEES".

Isn't the type of 2nd guessing and recriminations we are going through now the real shitting of the bed!
Fair enough if this had been a performance that was one of many dismal showings. I think as supporters it is easy to forget the improvement and jump back where we as SAINTS supporters feel most comfortable.......in the cellar self flagellating!

So much of the criticism we level is excellent and timely and we sure have to learn from last night...but on the good side ...we came through injury free did we? I hope so! Lets look at this Port game for what it was...a loss mitigated by poor kicking and some poor play. An intermittent drop in form from what has been an impressive start to the season.

We may well find that this narrowest of losses serves us well next week against the DEES. It may serve to temper our blade with realism!

The club is always "shocked" by the fans getting ****ed off with them after a loss, usually read the riot act and they get up the next week so perhaps they are giving us intermittent variable rewards which reinforces the behaviour. Perhaps they need to play worse after criticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2022: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back