Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really pumped after the first half and was happy to lose with that level of play. Second half dampened that feeling a bit but the truth is the dogs deserve credit for tightening things up and clamping down the midfield. They’re a really talented and mature team and it’s no disgrace to get outplayed by them. It’s another lesson for these young guys.

So many positives in the end though. We didn’t get blown away. We look like we have some 23 and under A graders on our list. Everything seems to be tracking in the right direction so the second half and the loss are genuinely by the by. 2023 continues to be a fascinating season for Hawthorn supporters.

I reckon Reeves just had the best performance of the season vs English. That bloke is ******* monstering everyone, even Darcy and Co.

English still had a big impact but he's the best in the game right now. Reeves really took it to him. Well done to him and the boys for really fighting it out. Just not good enough to finish the opportunities. But the vision forward is crystal clear.
It's so easy to overlook this - Reeves - second or third season - competing or beating the best rucks in the game. Love it. We just haven't had a winning ruck for so long

Watch Mitchell or Weddle get dropped before CJ, he has no confidence, doesn’t run when he gets the ball and just looks lost out there

He’s definitely struggling. Be wrong for him to start ahead of Scrimshaw again

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not a big umpire basher and don’t think that they generally decide games of football, but f#ck me those guys that umpired that game need a spell in the VFL…

Same. I try to get over umpiring decisions quickly. But today they were as bad as I’ve seen for a while.

Went and had a good day/night .

My 7yo was disappointed but turned to me after the siren ' Dad they tried so hard , they are going to be good when they get older and stronger '
She gets it and she is 7 .
Also thanks to middle aged Doggies supporter who thought rubbing it in was a good idea .....

Anyway .....

Day is a superstar
Lewis looked like a 5 goal game shame about the misses
Newcombe almost bog
Reeves was so good arguably the better of the form ruck in the comp
Rama and Weddle will be better for it

Thought we tired understandable but at least game them a scare .

Cant wait to get through the next 30-40 games .....we have a decent side on the horizon if your patient .
We will cause a decent upset or two coming home

We aint the worst side in the comp

Second half was a tough watch after a promising first. The inability to transition forward from the back half was crazy bad. Nowhere to go, kicking to bad match ups or just straight down the throat of a Bulldogs player. Credit to the Bulldogs for making adjustments at half time but we didn't kick a second half goal until some 20 minutes into the last quarter. Still, good signs from many players and the team seems to be clicking much better each week. Also, looks like we won most of the stats. The midfield is looking in good shape. We don't miss Mitchell and O'Meara at all. Warpol is pretty much a replacement for Mitchell and I was very impressed with Ward. He is coming along nicely.

We were never going to win this game. Bonts 200th and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nash didn't have a massive game like he has the past two weeks but neither did Bont. Nash still had 25 and a few tackles – Bont only had 20. Still 6 clearances for Bont and when he was able to get loose he made some awesome plays. But in the overall course of the game Nash did a terrific job and backed up his past fortnight where he's shown himself as a legitimate high ball-winning/high impact inside mid.

Always going to be tough against the dogs and the usual overwhelmingly dog-centric officiating.

Seriously, the W-L columns mean as little as they ever do for us at the moment. We are moving slowly but surely in the right direction. Sammy is building us, brick by brick, back to contention.

We just need to be patient.

A lot to like (a lot to dislike too)
Day clearly best - we’ve definitely missed him the last few weeks.
Can see him as future Captain. Got that follow me attitude , ala Hodge.

Reeves improving weekly.
Great to have Lewis back.

Signs are good - just lack polish & struggle to run games out.

Can‘t see us winning the spoon if we keep that endeavor up.

Big game away against the _ankers next week

Reeves is going to b awesome. If that's Lewis rusty the future is gunna b biblical. Why was Seamus subbed FFS. Actually enjoyed that game, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train. Im applying for an umpie job. I can blow a whistle, make shite decisions and run away backwards to.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back