Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been worried about CJ all year.

He is critical to our gameplan with his ability to break lines. With the exception of the North game, he has not provided that at all. 120 metres gained from 15 possessions simply isn’t enough to compensate for his lack of composure in defence. I understand the opposition is putting more work into him, but at the moment his strengths aren’t covering his weaknesses. He may benefit from a return to Box Hill to recapture his effectiveness or a move up the ground.

If we drop Seamus or Weddle before him it will be extremely frustrating.

Harry and CJ will be back at Box Hill for a stint if Sam Mitchell sticks to his guns and doesn’t deviate.

Scrimmers is either fit and plays a role or spends time getting match fitness until
he can play a full game.

Wardy did some nice things tonight with ball in hand.

Day was pure class in tight and also pinch hitting forward at times.

Some of our kicking under pressure was deplorable from the backline.

This is true but doesn’t mean he should get the laser focus every time we lose. Yes he turns in some poor games for us and the soft tissue injuries have been bloody frustrating - but the last two weeks he’s hardly been playing like he’d be dropped and the vitriol keeps on coming. I’ve heard it in person at games when he’s doing basically nothing wrong and some pinheads just vent their spleen at him. It’s just odd.
Well it’s normal. Same is happening to DGB. When you cost the club a lot of draft capital or are on big coin you’re going to get those extra expectations. If you fail to perform the fans are going to let you know about it. You’ll never stop that and it’s not just a Hawthorn thing.

I don’t recall anyone slagging Burgoyne of despite him costing us an arm and leg. The trick is just to perform.

In the end the blame really should lie on the shoulders of the recruitment team. Both Wingard and DGB were bad calls.

He is critical to our gameplan with his ability to break lines. With the exception of the North game, he has not provided that at all. 120 metres gained from 15 possessions simply isn’t enough to compensate for his lack of composure in defence. I understand the opposition is putting more work into him, but at the moment his strengths aren’t covering his weaknesses. He may benefit from a return to Box Hill to recapture his effectiveness or a move up the ground.

CJ needs to learn how to play wing, because if he doesn’t then he will find it very hard to get a game when we climb the ladder

Morrison is just holding down a spot until someone overtakes him, and that won’t be far off (similar to Bramble)

Agree with the outs, Ramsden was well off the pace and CJ has had a really poor start to the season.

Not sure I agree with Kosi in though.
If Kosi has another good game tomorrow it could be on the cards. I think Meek should come in for next weeks game against Freo, bit surprised Ramsden got the call up over him for this game.

Agree with those that have said the backline set up was odd.

Weddle needs to run.

The backs played very negatively as well. CJ, Sicily and Weddle all seemed very focused on shutting down their opponents as all costs (as opposed to balancing attack and defense.)
Cost DGB his spot doing just that last week (very effectively too)

Well it’s normal. Same is happening to DGB. When you cost the club a lot of draft capital or are on big coin you’re going to get those extra expectations. If you fail to perform the fans are going to let you know about it. You’ll never stop that and it’s not just a Hawthorn thing.

I don’t recall anyone slagging Burgoyne of despite him costing us an arm and leg. The trick is just to perform.

In the end the blame really should lie on the shoulders of the recruitment team. Both Wingard and DGB were bad calls.
Denver was drafted as a 6'5" 81kg kid. You don't lose talent. He's going to need patience and time to adjust to a developing frame. Judge him at 25yo I reckon. Chad is a cream player, not a game changer. We hoped he might be but he's not. Still a role for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not touching the recruitment stuff because it’s been rehashed here 7,000 times and the mods will shut it down. However recruitment outlay still doesn’t mean the player should have supporters calling for their heads because they’ve had a game that isn’t at their stellar best but was still solid enough. The past two weeks Chad hasn’t turned in performances that would warrant his selection to be questioned.

Both Mirchell and Weddle should remain in the team. Freo don't really have KPF's, so hopefully Weddle and Scrimshaw get a chance to intercept, and Weddle gets a chance to use his ability to run.

Walters - Amiss - Sturt / Banfield
Weddle - Sicily - Scrimshaw

Schultz - Jackson - Switowski
Mitchell - Frost - Hardwick

Really excited about the future of our midfield. Dominating the centre against teams known for dominating the centre. That is until we run out of steam later in games. The conditioning that will come with pre-seasons will eventually allow the team to run these games out.

Great returns from Day and Lewis. Unfortunate for Mitch that he couldn't kick straighter.

Impey really back to his best in the last few weeks breaking lines with his run again rather than just being a link player.

Subbing Seamus off when Breust was pretty ineffective after getting his calf strapped was a strange move.

I’m not touching the recruitment stuff because it’s been rehashed here 7,000 times and the mods will shut it down. However recruitment outlay still doesn’t mean the player should have supporters calling for their heads because they’ve had a game that isn’t at their stellar best but was still solid enough. The past two weeks Chad hasn’t turned in performances that would warrant his selection to be questioned.
People expect him to perform like he did at Port in 2013-14. That’s what we paid for 🤷🏼‍♂️

Disappointed to lose, but a good loss if you can have a good loss.

1st half was what we are going to see more of in the coming years, exciting to watch. The spoon is not ours.

Couldn’t split Day and Duke as BOG for us the midfield is building nicely.

Reeves looking the goods.

Lewis exciting game, my Coleman bet would be looking good if not for injury.

Brockman is exciting when he is near it.

Game of what ifs and what could have been, Lewis’s kicks straighter, Greene free is paid, Brocks mark I could go on and on. Umpiring today was sub standard and laughable and to be honest not called out enough during the call.

The rebuild in my humble opinion is looking good a few more pieces to add but well and truly gone the right direction. Looking forward when the core group hit the 80 to 100 games together.

if I doubted any posters calls that the dogs get a good run from the umpires, I apologise and I am now a believer.

Harry and CJ will be back at Box Hill for a stint if Sam Mitchell sticks to his guns and doesn’t deviate.

Scrimmers is either fit and plays a role or spends time getting match fitness until
he can play a full game.

Wardy did some nice things tonight with ball in hand.

Day was pure class in tight and also pinch hitting forward at times.

Some of our kicking under pressure was deplorable from the backline.

Agree. Mitchell said at the start of the season he wasn't going to gift games, it's time for him to stick true to his word and drop underperforming senior players. CJ and Morrison to the VFL.

I thought Ward was really good and was surprised to see he only had 20 touches for the game. He was impressive today.

I'm really finding it hard to feel confident when Morrison is near the play. He generally links well, but be seems to lack the required physicality in the contest.
He is often a second or 2 slow on whether to pressure or follow his man. Often results in him stuck in the middle and easily bypassed

That goal from Johannison at the end of the 2nd quarter could have stoppen if he went to pressure him earlier. Could have saved Wingard just letting run off

You obviously missed JJ walking off him to goal, and then just jogging by him to mark.

He had like 175m gained, two tackles and went by 62% efficieny. Didn't hit kick a goal. Again.

We have Butler and CMAC in the 2s. Like you've said, Brockman shouldn't be dropped.

So drop Bruest still yeah?

It's a strange hill mate. Call for Bruest to n
be dropped but saying Chad's going well. Lol

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back