Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Dimmas disposal has been questionable this season but keeping your direct opponent to zero touches for the better part of two and a half quarters is pretty elite.

Don’t understand the Dimma bashing
Did anyone notice Cody Weightman out there today?

Hardwick’s stats, including his 80ish% disposal efficiency are the same as last season (except he’s averaging 6 rebound 50s not 4) when he finished 4th in the PCM. Really don’t see what the concern is with his form - he’s looked solid as always.

Over the last few weeks it feels like our overall team performance/output is way below the individual player performances
Few reasons for this I reckon.

Our team defence around the ground isn’t where it needs to be. So the opposition can score from a few possessions. Where we struggle to get the ball into the clear from the contest and often over-posses the ball without being damaging with it. Which can lead to a nice looking stat sheet but not being as effective as we could be.

Will come the more the players play together as a team

Agree. I thought he played his best game of the season today and was one our best. I also think CJ played OK. Could be better but he gets involved and is always competing.
CJ is out of form in terms of the exciting, attacking stuff that he can do. He’s fumbling and not having the impact we know he can.

But his work rate and defensive running remains one of the best in the side. It’s a weakness of the side and he’s one of the best at it.

He’s had a disappointing season so far, and has regressed in terms of impact, but he does provide some underrated value

Over the last few weeks it feels like our overall team performance/output is way below the individual player performances

This is a pretty good observation. I think that this is due to the many changes to team personnel, many new faces. This should evolve over time but this is where we need senior players to show the way, leading by example, talking to players, giving them advice. It takes time to understand team mates out there, build trust and become intuitive to each other. I see a bit of it in the midfield. I expect Sam Mitchell and the leadership group is working on this aspect.

Happy

Ned Reeves
- against the supposed 2023 AA ruckman he was first class. He gave him a bath and gave our midfielders silver service for a large majority of the game. Will continue to improve and grow his game but he will be a big reason for many wins in future.

Mitch Lewis - welcome back. I think he had 9 marks to half time and then ran out of puff. His goal kicking will improve too. Star.

The centre square midfielders are making some serious strides.

Horrible

CJ - I have been questioning his output all year. How much longer are we going to put up with the fumbles, indecision and shit kicking. Starting to think he has photos.

Morrison - how much longer are we going to put up with his half efforts defensively, why he chose to mark rather than fist the ball in Q1 when he had the sit I will never understand. At crucial stages his disposals let him down and missed a few easy shots for goal. The easy chip chip kicks and marks don’t mask his ineffectiveness. His position in the side has to come under scrutiny. Soon hopefully.

Hard to understand

The umpiring. 3 free kick against 12 in the second half and only 11 free kicks in total for the game. If I could see Bont, English and others simply throw the ball with one hand from level 3, WTF are the maggots watching.

When we switch it back and forth in defence and kick to Hardwick, Sicily and others to rack up useless stats, why do we then find the ball in Frost’s hands to try and pin point the most important kick when we decide to actually go forward. Does my ****en head in.

When is the real Moore going to turn up? Amazing how you can miss a teammate by that much who is all alone over the top.

Impey isn’t getting the kudos he deserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we stop judging Wingard on "what we paid for him"? It was 5 years ago, get over it. Dropping him won't get that currency back.

Judge him on what he actually does per game. He was ok today and decent last week. He's not getting dropped no matter how much you wish it.
Yep - don’t drop Wingard.

Also don’t contract him for 2024 until the end of the season (if at all)

CJ is out of form in terms of the exciting, attacking stuff that he can do. He’s fumbling and not having the impact we know he can.

But his work rate and defensive running remains one of the best in the side. It’s a weakness of the side and he’s one of the best at it.

He’s had a disappointing season so far, and has regressed in terms of impact, but he does provide some underrated value

Yes, Jiath is a very important player and I daresay, part of the issues with his form is connected to where the team is right now. That's not to say he shouldn't do better. I hope that he will progressively improve over the course of the season. He certainly should not be dropped.

Odd that you say that because Mitchelll praised him in the post match presser saying that he is a staple of the team and “will play on our next flag”. I personally haven’t noticed him playing at a lower level than usual this season. Still looks balanced and composed and along with Sis is the bedrock of our back line.
Just don’t ask him or Sicily to hand pass, ever. They are both stop-start type players and don’t do well when the ball is in close.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Bruest already has a contract for 2024.
Righto. 👍

The way he is tracking, and with the young small forwards developing, that could become a bit of an issue.

He may end up finishing in the VFL in 2024.

Our boys looks out on their feet after half time, I think the last two weeks may have taken it’s toll on our young bodies.

Plenty of positives again:

Reeves is getting better every game he plays, it’s no coincidence that his improvement has helped us immensely to become a good clearance team.

Duke has played three good games in a row after a slow start to the season

Nash just keeps bashing in and getting his hands on the footy first at the clearances

Will Day is a star

Although Lewis ran out of puff, his first half was huge. So glad he’s back

A negative has been that every game from and including the Geelong game we should’ve been at least two to three goals further ahead at 1/2 time, we’ve missed a lot of easy goals. Shooting our selves in the foot.

Phenomenal performance by Reeves really. He's just clearly beaten the best ruckman in the comp, on form. Reeves sits 4th in the comp for total hitouts and is coming with a bullet.

Worpel not getting enough love here. He's currently 7th in the comp for clearances and contested possession. He's a beast.

Nash has just beaten Bont. A top 3 player in the comp.

Day has just hit 30 touches and was probably BOG.

Weddle looked good.

Mitchell being subbed a poor decision.

Lewis' first half was off the chain good.

Umps ruined us in the end. We're not that far off.

Hard which is bad at handballing? Hmmm 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Sorry but I can’t say that I agree with that.
He has no idea how to flick it around by hand in defence like other sides do. Just watch him when the situation arises, he will instead do a quick arc and on the boot long. Pressure by hand is not his go, and I think he understands that

Overall, a lot to like despite the result.

Reeves is continuing to build and starting to contribute at ground level with handballs and tackles. Also clunked a few which is nice.

Lewis is back!

Day, Newk, Nash and Ward all good.

Agree with others that CJ has been fumbly, and today was one of Morisson’s poorer games.

Greene struggled, but it may be lack of partnership with Lewis and not being the main man - he still could have had 2 or 3 goals though.

I’m not a fan of dropping players after one match, so Rama and Weddle get another run for mine.

I worried before the game that we were a rotation short in the midfield and I think it panned out that way. Not sure for who, but I’d love one of the CMacs back in

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back