Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I dunno if we did get it wrong?
I thnk Mitchell adjusted a lot the last few weeks and it's coincided with keeping CJ and Sicily much more defensive.
In saying that it’s poor, remove the cheap frees and they played well. Cj and Hardwick the worry long term for mine.

Seamus and impey are key for our drive, hats off to impey I got that completely wrong

Morris will be ready by mid year to

You obviously missed JJ walking off him to goal, and then just jogging by him to mark.

He had like 175m gained, two tackles and went by 62% efficieny. Didn't hit kick a goal. Again.

We have Butler and CMAC in the 2s. Like you've said, Brockman shouldn't be dropped.

So drop Bruest still yeah?

It's a strange hill mate. Call for Bruest to n
be dropped but saying Chad's going well. Lol

Mate you have a long standing axe to grind about Wingard so it’s not worth discussing with you. You’re never going to be close to objective.

My hand is up. I was a fan of the Wingard recruitment.

He has been a real disappointment for what we paid financially and also what we gave up in Burton and high pick.

I fully understand why Sam and co were looking at various options to move him 2 years back.

I can’t see him being on our list next season unless he takes a huge pay cut and says “I am repaying Hawthorn for the final few years of my career”

We will know more about the direction in the back half of this season.

All in all a good effort from our guys, Lewis inclusion looked to have completely changed the way we were able to go forward in the first half. He looked gassed to me late.

Was Seamus injured? Thought he was playing another terrific game.

Would like Weddle to stay, got a look of his speed when he chased after JJ at one point, the kid has some serious wheels.

I'm not sure if it's because he's carrying an injury but CJ's hands have been terrible all year, second, third and some times fourth grabs all the time from him. He has the yips and i'm not sure playing him in defence helps the side at the moment. I've always thought he had the skillset to be a terrific pressure forward but I don't think we'll see it.

We really need to get the ball in Amon's hands more regularly, he has an absolute laser of a left foot.

He has been a real disappointment for what we paid financially and also what we gave up in Burton and high pick.

I fully understand why Sam and co were looking at various options to move him 2 years back.

I can’t see him being on our list next season unless he takes a huge pay cut and says “I am repaying Hawthorn for the final few years of my career”

I think what makes this sadder was the fact Long was omitted and a Wingard-type player plays.

Long brings excellent pressure across half forward, an ability and tank to go through the middle, and size and speed making him a difficult match up.

Most of all: he is HUNGRY.

Probability suggests Wings is cooked. I love the guy. But I’d play Long all day over Wingard at this stage of the rebuild in progress.

Last edited:
In saying that it’s poor, remove the cheap frees and they played well. Cj and Hardwick the worry long term for mine.

Seamus and impey are key for our drive, hats off to impey I got that completely wrong

Morris will be ready by mid year to

I too am extremely worried about Hardwick but he seems to escape criticism/ scrutiny by Hawks supporters because he normally has a tough match up.

His decision making at times like jumping when he needs to stay on the ground and some of his field kicking at times is horrendous.

He has some mates down there that can murder the ball by foot including our skipper who twice in the first qtr kicked the ball like it was a balloon and to the opposition.

How about we stop judging Wingard on "what we paid for him"? It was 5 years ago, get over it. Dropping him won't get that currency back.

Judge him on what he actually does per game. He was ok today and decent last week. He's not getting dropped no matter how much you wish it.

It will be an interesting conversation come seasons end.

Current contract worth $750k & unless Blind Freddy was handing out contracts at seasons end he ain’t getting anything close to it.

I’d rather the club be upfront with Chad & say here’s the contract offer (X amount) comes seasons end. Take it or leave it.

If it’s leave it than start getting games into Butler over Wingard

Great to have Day and Lewis back.
Day racking them up. Lewis clunking marks albeit with rusty kicking following. Looking forward to having a tall forward who can mark from here on in.
Good to see Brooosty have his kicking goggles on today.
Good exposure for the newbies.
Newcome looked fab.
Reeves seemed great in the ruck and around the ground from what I saw of him

First half competitive, and thought we were actually better than them albeit not reflected quite as much on the scoreboard as it should have been.
Third quarter would've been a good opportunity for some shuteye but alas I stayed awake.

Still hate the roof being closed and it's a hill I'll die on. It's an outdoor sport. Wind/rain/cold etc adds an exciting element to the game when teams change ends etc. Yeah it's comfy sitting in the stands and not having to worry about it, but it doesn't and never will feel 'right' to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be an interesting conversation come seasons end.

Current contract worth $750k & unless Blind Freddy was handing out contracts at seasons end he ain’t getting anything close to it.

I’d rather the club be upfront with Chad & say here’s the contract offer (X amount) comes seasons end. Take it or leave it.

If it’s leave it than start getting games into Butler over Wingard

Hopefully he can find a purple patch of form and hit the scoreboard because we need some goals.

How about we stop judging Wingard on "what we paid for him"? It was 5 years ago, get over it. Dropping him won't get that currency back.

Judge him on what he actually does per game. He was ok today and decent last week. He's not getting dropped no matter how much you wish it.

If Butler puts together another strong game and hits the scoreboard, who else is realistic?

I too am extremely worried about Hardwick but he seems to escape criticism/ scrutiny by Hawks supporters because he normally has a tough match up.

His decision making at times like jumping when he needs to stay on the ground and some of his field kicking at times is horrendous.

He has some mates down there that can murder the ball by foot including our skipper who twice in the first qtr kicked the ball like it was a balloon and to the opposition.
Odd that you say that because Mitchelll praised him in the post match presser saying that he is a staple of the team and “will play in our next flag”. I personally haven’t noticed him playing at a lower level than usual this season. Still looks balanced and composed and along with Sis is the bedrock of our back line.

Last edited:
Worpel was firing early and like the team died out in the second half

The trading out of Titch & Jaeger has worked in the sense as it has enabled Will Day to get minutes as well as guys like Ward, Worps n co to go in.

What is has led to is that the young boys don’t have it to play out a full 4 quarters.

It will come. Be patient guys.

Hopefully Harley Reid is the reward although NMFC & West Coast are a lot worse than us

If Mitchell continues to develop I wonder if he would be considered more expendable.

Odd that you say that because Mitchelll singled him out in the post match presser saying that he is a staple of the team and “will play on our next flag”. I personally haven’t noticed him playing at a lower level than usual this season. Still looks balanced and composed and along with Sis is the bedrock of our back lin.

He's been well below his best before today. Perhaps it was a comment to encourage him getting back to his best form such as today.

Hopefully it's Moore's turn next week.

Last edited:
Odd that you say that because Mitchelll praised him in the post match presser saying that he is a staple of the team and “will play on our next flag”. I personally haven’t noticed him playing at a lower level than usual this season. Still looks balanced and composed and along with Sis is the bedrock of our back line.

Agree. I thought he played his best game of the season today and was one our best. I also think CJ played OK. Could be better but he gets involved and is always competing.

I think what makes this sadder was the fact Long was omitted and a Wingard type player plays.

Long brings excellent pressure across half forward, an ability and tank to go through the middle, and size and speed making him a difficult match up.

Most of all: he is HUNGRY.

Probability suggests Wings is cooked. I love the guy. But I’d play Long all day over Wingard at this stage of the rebuild in progress.
I’d happily send Chad to Box Hill and bring in “anyone” with a it of hunger and desire, be that Long, Butler or one of the new draftees.

JJ running off him and sprinting through the centre of the ground to slam home a goal was an indictment on Wingard.

He was very disappointing tonight for a senior player, and I think he is at a career crossroad…..needs to lift.

Autopsy Round 7, 2023 : Hawks go down to Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back