Autopsy Round 7: Richmond v Collingwood @ MCG - Change for Port Adelaide

Vote for your MVP's for the game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You missed my point. It's not that we weren't allowed to play 'our' way earlier.... it's that we weren't working hard enough to play 'our' way. The way we play involves a lot of gut running off the ball.... That off the ball running wasn't there early today.... then the work-rate and preparedness to run improved and results started to work out.... skills were the only thing that less us down after qtr time, not workrate.

The players are under pressure. Have you heard anything the players have said this season? Don't listen to the media, listen to the players. They have taken blame for the efforts. The coach has made errors too but mainly with selection. The game-plan hasn't changed much, just our work-rate to actually enable the game-plan to happen.

If you go to the games, sit up with a bit of elevation and watch what happens away from the ball.... It's the running patterns and work-rate when player's don't have the ball that dictates how we go.... In combination with our intensity and effort to get the pill....

Party, I think we agree on a number of things here. My preffered position at a game is above as I a HUGE advocate of what players do when they dont have the ball

All the young blokes should get another gig next week.
This list does have the talent.. Still think we would benefit from another coach

I remember everyone bitching about Jack moving up the ground away from Full forward.
He's a much better footballer for it.
He's a better player than than when he was winning Coleman medals.
I sometimes wonder if people realize just how good he is.
He's easily our most skilled player.
In fact I reckon he's one of the best pure footballers in the game.
Magnificently skilled on both sides,smart and just getting better.
Couldn't agree anymore with this. I absolutely love watching Jack play. Like you say, his skills and footy smarts are way up there with the best.

Fun win, good to beat the Pies again, the first after a drought is always the hardest.
Our I50 conversion was great after the first qtr, kicked straight too, Dimma's sticking with the open forward line, I wanted it changed back to the 2013 congested version...though I still do.

Thought McBean was good, got involved and had a hand in multiple goals in the 2nd qtr, missed 1 and was unlucky the lead/mark in the 2nd qtr was touched.

The backline was good once Rance went back there, the forwardline worked well together and our mids held their own.

Ins- McDon, Conca, Sheds
Outs- Batch, Hunt, Menadue
(Morris to backline)

Rodney - when you have one of the best defenders in the competition why would you start him (or play him) out of position
I said starting him wasn't a great idea.
Nothing wrong with trying things during the game as it develops though.
It's developing both him and the team.
Creates options for us.

Fun win, good to beat the Pies again, the first after a drought is always the hardest.
Our I50 conversion was great after the first qtr, kicked straight too, Dimma's sticking with the open forward line, I wanted it changed back to the 2013 congested version...though I still do.

Thought McBean was good, got involved and had a hand in multiple goals in the 2nd qtr, missed 1 and was unlucky the lead/mark in the 2nd qtr was touched.

The backline was good once Rance went back there, the forwardline worked well together and our mids held their own.

Ins- McDon, Conca, Sheds
Outs- Batch, Hunt, Menadue
(Morris to backline)
I can't see Hunt being dropped.
He does a lot of hard work with multiple efforts.
Something that goes unnoticed and would be great if some others adopted.

Watched Dimma's post-game presser - he said even his wife was saying all week 'what are you doing playing Rance in the middle?'
Wonder if she's free to be a caretaker coach?

That answers it. Anyone that has a wife that asks why you are doing some thing knows that you press ahead with it no matter what. There is noting worse that tellin the Mrs you might have got it wrong.....Full support dimma. Get it now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very impressed by the boys today.
Cotchin led from the front today. He was absolutely sensational.
Deledio, well what can you say. He is our best player.
I'll repeat that for anyone who doesn't think so.
Brett Deledio is our best player.
Rance was terrific once he went down back, as before that our back line was in disarray (hopefully not a preview of what 2016 will look like)
Grigg has been one of our best players this entire season. Sure, he does some stupid things, but so do all players.
Vickery was also great. I'm not a fan of him, but he was very good today. More of that please.
Great team performance today and good to see the boys come back in the last after the Pies hit the front.
Good for our mental strength, confidence and belief.
Let's see how we back it up next week against Port. They are definitely beatable and we owe them one from the elimination final disaster last year.
Well done Tigers.

Many positives from today's game.
1 Elite players stepping up.
Major contributions from Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt, Miles, B Ellis, Martin, Rance and Maric.
2 Our Backline continues to look solid
The back 6 made Collingwood earn their goals. Only look vulnerable when Collingwood had fast ball movement into their forward line.
3 Our A game is as good as anyone's in the league.
When we attack with fluency, we will quickly impact the scoreboard. The second quarter performance showed we can goal at almost every forward entry.
4 Our debutants looked up to AFL standard
Was impressed with the 4 new boys. Even though the stat sheet didn't reflect their performances all them competed well. McBean looked lively and competed well to keep the ball in the forward line. Elton showed he can lock down a key position defensive post. Corey Ellis will be better in the run and contributed to some scoring chains. Connor Menadue also provided contests to keep the ball locked in on the wing.
5 Indirect play tends to result in turnovers and scoring chances to the opposition
When start passing the ball side ways and to a free player nearby, we tend to cough the ball up and result in a turnover goal to the opposition. Much better when we are taking the game on.
6 Shaun Grigg is the most improved player on out list. He showed genuine class and leadership today.
7 Our forward line looks good with 3 forwards.

Ins Ben Griffiths, Sheds, Conca
Out McBean, Menadue, Elton

The new boys are showing something....C Ellis will be a gun. I was a big critic of Grigg........but he has improved and seems to be more physical. Loved his game today.

Ca't wait to get Griffiths back in.

The new boys are showing something....C Ellis will be a gun. I was a big critic of Grigg........but he has improved and seems to be more physical. Loved his game today.

Ca't wait to get Griffiths back in.
Corey Ellis' underground kick that set up Deledios second last quarter goal told a fair bit about what we have on our hands.
That was real smart. Cool under pressure.

Corey Ellis' underground kick that set up Deledios second last quarter goal told a fair bit about what we have on our hands.
That was real smart. Cool under pressure.

Yeah, I liked his kick early in the game to a leading forward KPP marker to.

Seems to be a bit of Lenny Hayes about him. Just a touch of his poise and composure

I would sub him to ensure he stays in the firsts and gets the exposure to the faster game and different opponent styles. I think some of his smarts can rub off on the others hopefully!:thumbsu:

Post game discussion and changes for Port Adelaide.

So glad I got to post this
I feel like I should have made the "Pies" bit emerge from his mouth after the punch

I feel like I should have made the "Pies" bit emerge from his mouth after the punch

Missed opportunity, as is not having 'do we flick the bean?' alongside 'changes for Port' in the thread title.

Regardless of the result I actually enjoyed watching us play today, that was the biggest positive for me, that feeling made 10x better by the fact we ended up winning. All you can ask for is effort and it was certainly there today, still a lot of improvement to be made with our skills but if they give that effort and hunger every week it's a huge step forward

Grimes- Played one of his better games, certainly his best for the year and maybe last year as well, really strong and composed. Took me back to when we were starting to call him just about our best defender before he got hit by injuries
Deledio- Was great, and stood up when it counted. Real leaders game from him today and even though he still isn't 100% still had a real impact up forward for us, you can see his importance
Martin- Another good game for Dusty, bit lazy with his kicking at times but is certainly a very good player, still waiting for him to really take a game apart this year
B.Ellis- Disposal wasn't great but still played a good game, provides us so much run and carry, pretty invaluable to our side now, if he gets his disposal up to scratch world at his feet.
Grigg- Was fantastic, this was back to his best 2012 football, needs to stay at this level consistently and he becomes genuinely a very good player, he's shown us he's capable of it, now do it every week.
Reiwoldt- Seriously underrated this bloke, such a clever and skillful player, easily #1 in both those area's at Richmond, continues to kick just as many goals up the ground as he did at FF, can do it all.
Cotchin- I was seriously proud of the guy today, has copped a lot this year, some warranted some way over the top, and of all the great players who were out on the ground today when the game was there to be won, he was the one who stood up and not only seized the moment but destroyed it. His last quarter was the best a Richmond player has played this year. Luv u Cotchy <333
Batchelor- Thought he struggled a bit today, and has dropped off a bit in recent weeks. Not sure if this is to do with Grimes coming back or if he is just going through a dip in form, but with guys like Short/Conca/McDonough available for selection and Grimes playing well down back, wouldn't be against him going back to the 2s and finding the form he showed at the start of the season. Also get a haircut m8
Houli- Was excellent on the rebound as always but thought he was very good defensively today on multiple occasions, having a great season sneaky AA chance, would be thereabouts at the moment hasn't put a foot wrong
Rance- What a superstar this guy is, pushing him into the midfield didn't quite work on early but went back and had a massive presence as always, went at over 90% again.
Maric- Played on two young ruckman and showed them a lesson in how to ruck, great game from the big fella, can't help but love him.
Chaplin- Had his frustrating moments as he often has but overall played a decent game, important for the way we structure up down back
Miles- No fuss footy but he was really good today, was a bit worried about him this year but today his inside work around the stoppages was excellent, stood up in the absence of titch.
Hunt- Serviceable game from Hunt, playing at a decent level at the moment but if he doesn't want to become handy depth in the next season or two needs to find another gear
Vickery- Liked Ty's game, played with urgency at times which you rarely see from him, hopefully a stint in the two's has shown him he needs to work and earn his spot. Some criticised him for turning his back and tacking the set shot at a crucial stage, but he backed himself and nailed it so massive props to him for that.
Vlastuin- Played yet another solid game down back, would love to see him get a crack in the midfield soon. Would love to see Castagna too, win/win?
C.Ellis- Belongs at AFL level you can clearly see that. Not at the stage where he can have a massive impact yet but some of the little things he does is very promising
McIntosh- Had another decent game Kamdyn, good to see him keeping his place on merit and becoming part of our best 22, if he can sharpen his skills up will be a very good player.
McBean- A skinny first gamer KPF playing in a big game against 60,000 doesn't sound like a very good proposition, and while he didn't have a great impact I liked the way he presented and attacked the contest. Probably makes way for Griff if he is right to go but shouldn't be too disheartened by his first attempt
Menadue- Similarly to Bean was always going to be a tough ask for him to come on in his first game and have a big impact, but he got himself a free kick and almost kicked a goal, landed a few nice tackles as well. Still one i'm very bullish about.
Morris- Whatever you spin about his defensive pressure and setting the tone and the like, on output he is simply a liability as a forward. It's an easy place to get lost in if you don't know what you're doing down there and that's what he looks like at the moment, completely lost. Staggers me he gets a game when you have guys like McDonough, Short and even Lloyd in the 2's who have the makings of very good small forwards, simply holding the team back at the moment as much as I love what he's all about.
Elton- Didn't have a great day at the office, but you have to remember he is a second gamer playing on some very big boys. Don't think Astbury offered a whole deal more over the last few weeks so i'd give him another week or two to show us what he can do.

Good win, enjoyed watching the boys play again, go Tigs!

Buckley insisted the issue had nothing to do with yesterday’s dramatic five-point loss to Richmond, but was bemused by how Cloke was viewed by officials.

“He dead set gets nothing from the umps. I don’t know what it is, I don’t know what it is,” Buckley said.

“He gets nothing when he looks like he’s being infringed and he only has to sniff to give a free kick away.”

crying-waterfalls.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 7: Richmond v Collingwood @ MCG - Change for Port Adelaide

Back