Autopsy Round 8 : Hawks strangle Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Great team game. Plenty to point out but the team play was excellent today l. So well drilled

Gee it’s nice having a few who can clunk it in a pack these days

This is how I see it also. Today was such a great team effort. Really thrilled for our midfield group who worked so hard this week against Giants run, and with Jaeger held again.

Happy Mothers Day Mum!! The Hawks turned it on for you!!

Good win but we're still painful to watch for the most part.
Nothing wrong with getting excited but wins like this dont change all the issues/concerns that were raised throughout the week about our list, youth ect.

True, but just after a good win against a more fancied opponent, surely we can save those thoughts for a later time?

Mothers Day I miss a game, we win.

Only got to see the last half and listen to most of the second on the radio on the way home.

Our last quarter was football dissection of the three peat era, albeit without being to score as much. But pinpoint passes that tire the opposition, make no doubt today the score flattered them not us.

I'm gonna say something about two people, someone who I've said has a fundamental issue at this point in his career in no real tank. Cousins, he doesn't have a tank yet and perhaps never quite will, I'm sure he'll get better with more pre seasons, but there is no doubt he is the most tired man ever to go onto a bench every single time. He is prepared to use 101% of that tank to get the best out of himself so I respect that. The other is Scully who someone mentioned did 94% of game time (though he was more a half flank than wing but then perhaps that means he ran further) he is physically not strong, however he is mentally strong to never stop running and covering ground that others cannot.

It was a good game up, now in our three best of the season with Adelaide and Geelong (that was a loss but a good performance)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good win but we're still painful to watch for the most part.
Nothing wrong with getting excited but wins like this dont change all the issues/concerns that were raised throughout the week about our list, youth ect.

Wins like this do change the nature of things though. Not entirely, but they do create some change.

Issues raised around our list and youth included:
- we need a KPF
- we need to consider who is going to be around on the list if we aren't contending soon

I think you can see that:
- watching a young Mitch Lewis clunk marks helps alleviate some concerns about needing a KPF for the time being
- winning games encourages us to think that we can still contend for premiership/s before a number of players retire such as your Strattons, Frawleys, McEvoys, Gunstons, Bruests, etc.

The other main issue raised throughout the week was around the slow, stagnant, flat footed, football that we are playing and how it allows opposition to get so many numbers behind the ball. Then consistently kicking long bombs and wondering why our connection between the midfield and forward line looks shot. This concern was also partially alleviated today with some faster ball movement.

Frawley is a gun full back. Surely it's time we put that position's question mark to bed.
Cameron probably should have kicked 2 or 3 but he got gifted a few shots on goal as well. In the aerial contests he played him well though. Thought we blanketed the effectiveness of Cogs and Kelly very well, Kelly was indecisive and made poor decisions all match. Today was how you blunt a good midfield.

The final result is not a true reflection on overall dominance of this game. It felt like a 10 goal win.
Yeah - would like our forward entires to result in more goals but gee our hand balling is good to watch this year.

I like Morrison. Let’s keep him in I say. At least he is inventive

Sort of like the way we played in our heyday. Deny the opposition the ball, chip it around, spread it wide and wait for the better option with precise disposal and then drill it long when the opportunity presents.
Whether it’s sustainable for the rest of the year, week in week out with our youngish team is debatable but there was a lot to like today.
I think the dropping of roughy would have also had an influence on the performance, no doubt a few of his senior colleagues would have had an “oh shit that could be me” moment and responded accordingly.

Scrimshaw huge. Morrison huge

We had blokes who stepped up who were not burgoyne, Mcevoy Worpel and Omeara which was the best thing today. Those second tier and third tier blokes played a huge role

Loving Lewis. Provided a lot for us today

That's the best answer for last week. Still in the hunt. Big scalp and a % boost

Cousins - Really important IN
Scrimshaw - Really important IN - Hope he's OK
Impey - Massive early forward.
Henderson - Hell's Bells
Loving Lewis. Forward 50 contested marks give me an internal tingle
How slick were some of Burgoyne's disposals!?
Didn't have a poor player on the ground.
Awesome underdog win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8 : Hawks strangle Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back