Prediction Round nine, team changes for the saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cox , Beams , Aish/Sier/Wells

Mayne , Reid , Wills

If Aish comes in can be on a wing or into midfield.

Sier unlikely but see how he goes today.

Think Wells won’t be far off. And if Thomas doesn’t get up think he should come in before Varcoe

Roughead?

What’s his thin ice status?
Seems to me he’s doing his job very nicely.

Been a solid citizen and combo with Moore excellent.

Plus a pinch hitter in ruck if needed.
Agree - too many here imagine a playing list is made up exclusively of superstars.

A playing list is an evolution by nature.

Recruits supplying the enthusiasm and fire to force the seniors to keep at it.
Senior role players taking the hits and creating the stage for their more talented brothers to showcase their skills.
Star senior players to supply that power and polish that every team needs.
Ageing seniors to supply that knowledge and on field leadership that young players need in their development years.

All the great teams - especially the 'era' teams have this mix right as the bedrock of their recruitment and list management strategies.

Was our best defender yesterday
He has been so steady.
Plays within his focus of ability.
Really extra good in the air.

I’m surprised a bit how well he’s gone but he’s now locked in for the full back roll.

Cheap pick up by us, and I’ll take it.

Agree - too many here imagine a playing list is made up exclusively of superstars.

A playing list is an evolution by nature.

Recruits supplying the enthusiasm and fire to force the seniors to keep at it.
Senior role players taking the hits and creating the stage for their more talented brothers to showcase their skills.
Star senior players to supply that power and polish that every team needs.
Ageing seniors to supply that knowledge and on field leadership that young players need in their development years.

All the great teams - especially the 'era' teams have this mix right as the bedrock of their recruitment and list management strategies.
Spot on.

We have a good mix too.

Beams, Adams and in different role perhaps Aish are our only mids outside yesterday’s 22 with recent AFL games.

To maintain ready to go depth* it’s important we get a run of senior games into 2 or 3 of Sier, Wells, Wills, Crocker and if his form improves Diacos.

If Wills is to be one of those depth players now he’s in the side we should give him another game or two.

* some including Sier may establish themselves in the 22

Last edited:
He's still popular, just not good enough any more to get a regular game.

Unfortunately, his body has really let him down. He's shown a lot of heart to get back where he is, but he's past it now.

I think he was able to play okay at Marvel given the smaller space. He was exposed on the MCG and looked slow and uncompetitive. He is depth. I think Wills needs to be replaced by Sier as soon as he is fit enough but if not Varcoe needs to come in for some pace, skill and pressure. Wells does not sound quite ready but obviously he is classy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am happy with how Roughead has contributed so far, but I don't think there is a match up against the Saints, so would use this to rest him.

Saints key forwards are highly mobile Bruce and Membrey. Moore to Bruce and a Langdon or Howe should be able to cover Membrey. We need to bring in more running small defenders to combat their small fleet, especially at Marvel. Someone like Quaynor might work, or bring Aish back (as much as I don't like him). Otherwise, bring in Goldsack to play on Membrey.

Brown has his weaknesses but he’s improving. Not sure he’s best 22 but while we have injuries he stays. He seems to improve as the game wears on and is always in the action deep in the last quarter
What are his weaknesses? He's missed a few set shots, otherwise I can't see any weaknesses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giving consideration and watching the replay I’m
Going against my grain of only two changes max being the norm and say there might be three changes.

Assuming Mayne with concussion will miss and Thomas is injured as well means that both Beams and Aish will return.

Beams is absolutely back if right.
Aish joins him.

I think Cox will also return and Ben Reid will make way.

Will gets a reprieve plus usually they get a couple of games.

In: Aish, Beams, Cox
Out: Mayne, Thomas (injured) Reid

Reid is at his career stage where he is good to fill in every three weeks to give someone a rest. But consecutive weeks show his body isn't up for it anymore.

Reid is at his career stage where he is good to fill in every three weeks to give someone a rest. But consecutive weeks show his body isn't up for it anymore.

One issue was WHE was uncompetitive when relieving the talls, which meant Reid had to play higher minutes than you'd want. In the second half Casboult just had to lean on Reid and he crumpled.

He probably will be replaced by Cox, but he tried his guts out. Deserves more respect than that.

Who said I didn't respect him? He did his best, but his best isn't good enough. That is the facts on the table. Why sugar coat it?

Reid is a liability. Need Cox back asap.

Hope Mayne gets up. If not Varcoe back in.

Beams for Thomas or Whe (too many outside players in the team).

Who said I didn't respect him? He did his best, but his best isn't good enough. That is the facts on the table. Why sugar coat it?
The way you worded it was a little disrespectful.

Wills out before Thomas or WHE. He was not up to the standard.

I'm not sure Cox would have fared much better against Casboult. He's the kind of player they both hate - big strong guy who can knock them off balance in a contest and make them ineffective with ease.

If we continue to go with two talls, we need WHE as he's the guy who has to pick up the slack and play as a tall when our tall forwards are on the bench or in the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back