Prediction Round nine, team changes for the saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinating.

After hearing the VFL report, confirming my view of the even group touting for positions, and the doubtful because of injury, it’s going to be a fascinating selection night.

Fascinating.

I’m going to wait for announcement time, then use the iPhone as you can reveal line by line.
So I’m going to slowly look at line by line.

Fascinating.
I think Ins/Outs are up the top though so spoiler alert. You were at the VFL-Sier deserving recall?

Bucks was pretty clear in the presser last week that Sier needs a bit of footy under his belt to be considered for seniors. He's only played two VFL games.
Different for WHE then. Assume different types of players would be the reason?

I think Ins/Outs are up the top though so spoiler alert. You were at the VFL-Sier deserving recall?
Actually not.
On an iPhone device go to match centre; tap the Collingwood game; tap teams (the middle tab I think);
Team is seen so it’s easy to do line by line and enjoy the build up, who is in and who is out.
You don’t see ins/outs on that system till tram is completed as it’s on the bottom.

Re Sier from VFL?
If I’m brutal he’s probably a game or two away; but internally they may feel ready to pull the trigger.
He would have got say 20 odd possessions, some strong traffic driving, where I thought, he’s back.
A few strong tackles, where the opposition knew they were tackled.
Created a goal and kicked his own goal.
There was one backwards handball, delightful.
So getting close which is great news.

Actually not.
On an iPhone device go to match centre; tap the Collingwood game; tap teams (the middle tab I think);
Team is seen so it’s easy to do line by line and enjoy the build up, who is in and who is out.
You don’t see ins/outs on that system till tram is completed as it’s on the bottom.

Re Sier from VFL?
If I’m brutal he’s probably a game or two away; but internally they may feel ready to pull the trigger.
He would have got say 20 odd possessions, some strong traffic driving, where I thought, he’s back.
A few strong tackles, where the opposition knew they were tackled.
Created a goal and kicked his own goal.
There was one backwards handball, delightful.
So getting close which is great news.
Sorry, didn’t realize you were on a tram at the time.

Different for WHE then. Assume different types of players would be the reason?
Needs based I suggest.
Buckley will ultimately pick the 22 he and his coach colleagues feel are best served to beat the given opposition.
If they feel Sier I’d fitness ready, then his VFL would be enough to get the nod.
That’s the unknown.

I’m of the firm belief they know Sier is a fine player.
I’m also of the belief that Brayden hasn’t yet strung games together like Treloar, Adams, Beams et al that says auto selection.
But they know he’s good and are trying to build him to a level where he’s in the side automatically- because his play and talent earn that status.

Sorry, didn’t realize you were on a tram at the time.
Touche

(Spell check - But I’m on the Sier tram, yes :))

Needs based I suggest.
Buckley will ultimately pick the 22 he and his coach colleagues feel are best served to beat the given opposition.
If they feel Sier I’d fitness ready, then his VFL would be enough to get the nod.
That’s the unknown.

I’m of the firm belief they know Sier is a fine player.
I’m also of the belief that Brayden hasn’t yet strung games together like Treloar, Adams, Beams et al that says auto selection.
But they know he’s good and are trying to build him to a level where he’s in the side automatically- because his play and talent earn that status.

IMO, he’s been a needs based inclusion all year because the midfield mix has been off for all but one or two matches. The thing is conditioning hasn’t exactly been Sier’s strong suit, hence the niggly injuries he seems to cop, so I’m ok with him being held back for another week. I think the club erred in bringing WHE back underdone and the long game was the better approach. Injury management wise it’s about the only misstep we’ve made this year.

Sam Edmund floated it re Elliott. On the basis of the discussion I expect Elliott to miss, but I would have the reason up in the air because Edmund hedged his bets between hammy and quad. After last weeks stuff up I’m thinking he was a bit hesitant to just go with what he thinks it is. Whether it’s Wells or Varcoe to replace him is the real question.

IMO, you go Wells because we know what Varcoe offers so a different mix might be beneficial long term. I also don’t think we’re going to learn more about Wells with a sixth week at VFL level that we don’t know after five.

Last edited:
Let’s hope it’s a precaution and minor.
Safety first approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, he’s been a needs based inclusion all year because the midfield mix has been off for all but one or two matches. The thing is conditioning hasn’t exactly been Sier’s strong suit, hence the niggly injuries he seems to cop, so I’m ok with him being held back for another week. I think the club erred in bringing WHE back underdone and the long game was the better approach. Injury management wise it’s about the only misstep we’ve made this year.

Sam Edmund floated it re Elliott. On the basis of the discussion I expect Elliott to miss, but I would have the reason up in the air because Edmund hedged his bets between hammy and quad. After last weeks stuff up I’m thinking he was a bit hesitant to just go with what he thinks it is. Whether it’s Wells or Varcoe to replace him is the real question.

IMO, you go Wells because we know what Varcoe offers so a different mix might be beneficial long term. I also don’t think we’re going to learn more about Wells with a sixth week at VFL level that we don’t know after five.

I'd love to see Wells and Sier both back sooner rather than later, but they probably work against each other in terms of rotations and the likely minutes they'd play.

Interesting week for selection. Will Mayne and Thomas be available? If not, combined with Elliot that's three forced outs. Reid and Wills stay in if that's the case?

It's a bummer about Elliott.Hopefully it's just hamstring tightness/awareness and not a full blown tear.

Assuming there was training today...

If Elliott got through the game on Saturday I'd be surprised if he'd done anything?
I know he was on the bench when JDG kicked that goal off the ground, and stayed there for the rest of the game (as did Jordy, who had ice on his shin).

Not sure when Elliott came off originally though.

If Elliott is indeed out, we will have quite a few outs.

The possible injured or concussed: Mayne, Thomas, Elliott

The auto selected when right: Beams (definite), Cox.

With Cox in then the balance issue pushes Reid out.

Hence this week:

In: Cox, Beams, Sier, Wells

Out: Mayne, Reid, Thomas, Elliott

Cox for Reid
Beams for Mayne
Sier for Thomas
Wells for Elliott

B. Langdon ~ Roughead ~ Maynard
HB. Crisp ~ Moore ~ Howe
C. Sidebottom ~ Beams ~ Phillips
HF. Mihocek ~ De Goey ~ Stephenson
F. Wells ~ Cox ~ Hoskin-Elliott