Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

That was an embarrassing yokel uncle trying to hang with the lads at a BBQ tier moment.. I remember wincing

Pulled that out at the culmination of the 11-4 to 12-10 collapse, despite the club being all-in on a flag with Rockliff/Watts/Motlop.

Then it was straight onto the ‘selfless Ken sacrificed his career for the good of the club’ nonsense.

Just how much of a smooth-brained, amnesiac cuck would one have to be to still defend this garbage, 5+ years later, with nothing but even more piles of ash to show for the faith invested in this compostable bucket of used paper straws?

He should have been gone when he went with the Motlop/Rockiff/Watts et al (ALL IN) and misses the finals.

People who went to Jonestown 1.0 were told as much. All in. A premiership. The stars had aligned.

12 months later it’s “co-captains give us the best chance” and “selfless Kenny”.

Rightio.

People who went to Jonestown 1.0 were told as much. All in. A premiership. The stars had aligned.

12 months later it’s “co-captains give us the best chance” and “selfless Kenny”.

Rightio.

And 6 YEARS later it's 'Ken's finally traded in the missing pieces for a premiership tilt, give him time Port fans!'.

What I find amazing is that we have really gone to the draft ONCE in the entire time Hinkley has been here.

Always bringing in missing links. In the meantime our captains and vice captains have been drafted. Imagine what they could have done if they could have gone to the draft with a full hand each year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the inevitable embarrassing EF loss comes around this year, Kornes can checkmate our ungrateful fanbase:

'No one expected Port to make finals this year.. Ken did an amazing job with what he had available!!'

FC8235CD-7E42-4201-A66E-52C1BD062B31.jpeg

My mum could guide this lot to a bare minimum 12 wins with pre-game and half-time rev-ups like, “go out and do your best” and “make sure you have fun”.

Kane has left Port Adelaide out of his top eight 🤔

View attachment 1911523
Someone has probably already said it... But this shit is just to make Hinkley look good.

When port finish top 4 it will be see what Hinkley has done... He is a top coach... Sign him up... Blah blah blah.

View attachment 1911567

My mum could guide this lot to a bare minimum 12 wins with pre-game and half-time rev-ups like, “go out and do your best” and “make sure you have fun”.
Its actually quite incredible how much more inspirational your mum sounds than our current head coach.

What I find amazing is that we have really gone to the draft ONCE in the entire time Hinkley has been here.

Always bringing in missing links. In the meantime our captains and vice captains have been drafted. Imagine what they could have done if they could have gone to the draft with a full hand each year.
2014 Draft: With hindsight I don't think I'd swap anyone available at our traded out pick or later for Paddy Ryder.
2015 Draft: We traded out pick 10 for Dixon. Eventually used by GWS to match the pick 7 bid on Jacob Hopper. It would've been pick 12 if it was in the live draft. Charlie Curnow :( then later Eric Hipwood.

2016 Draft: We clearly traded into the draft in 2016. Slid our first pick backwards effectively passing on Oliver Florent, Daniel Venables and Jordan Gallucci. And gave up our next years first. To end up with two first round picks in Marshall and SPP.
The 2016 second round pick that we also gave up for Dixon ended up back with after the 2016 trade period. And we took Atley. We also got another second round pick as part of the firsts for Drew.

2017: SPP and Willem Drew the year before are what we spent our first round pick on which ended up as Pick 12 that the Crows used on Darcy Fogarty. Its not until Oscar Allen at 21, Tim Kelly (24), Noah Balta (25) and Sam Taylor (28) that I'd be too upset at missing. And all those guys would've been real reaches at pick 12. We'd more likely end up with Fogarty or Jarrod Brander.

Signing Rockliff and Motlop as free agents gave up pick 32. And we traded 31 for Watts so gave up Fritsch. Ballard and Harrison Petty missed with the lost Trengove free agency compo. And those two would've had to be taken significantly earlier than they were.

2019: We were clearly in this draft, taking 2 first round picks and getting forward to the first pick of round 2 with our trading.

2014 Draft: With hindsight I don't think I'd swap anyone available at our traded out pick or later for Paddy Ryder.
2015 Draft: We traded out pick 10 for Dixon. Eventually used by GWS to match the pick 7 bid on Jacob Hopper. It would've been pick 12 if it was in the live draft. Charlie Curnow :( then later Eric Hipwood.

2016 Draft: We clearly traded into the draft in 2016. Slid our first pick backwards effectively passing on Oliver Florent, Daniel Venables and Jordan Gallucci. And gave up our next years first. To end up with two first round picks in Marshall and SPP.
The 2016 second round pick that we also gave up for Dixon ended up back with after the 2016 trade period. And we took Atley. We also got another second round pick as part of the firsts for Drew.

2017: SPP and Willem Drew the year before are what we spent our first round pick on which ended up as Pick 12 that the Crows used on Darcy Fogarty. Its not until Oscar Allen at 21, Tim Kelly (24), Noah Balta (25) and Sam Taylor (28) that I'd be too upset at missing. And all those guys would've been real reaches at pick 12. We'd more likely end up with Fogarty or Jarrod Brander.

Signing Rockliff and Motlop as free agents gave up pick 32. And we traded 31 for Watts so gave up Fritsch. Ballard and Harrison Petty missed with the lost Trengove free agency compo. And those two would've had to be taken significantly earlier than they were.

2019: We were clearly in this draft, taking 2 first round picks and getting forward to the first pick of round 2 with our trading.
Here are some What Ifs that surround the strategy of what we were doing 2016 to 2019 because in my opinion with a different coach and a few different moves we would be flag favourites for the next 5 years.

I'm not criticising the picking because I have much more confidence in Cripps and Parker than Stinkers. I'm criticising the strategy which would not be a part of their mandate. The strategy is sackable.

2016 - don't really have an issue in the picks because I believe they identified Marshall and Powell-Pepper getting Drew was a bonus. However for some reason we had nothing late and this is the list of players that we passed over not having a pick to pick instead Trengove Watts, Motlop, McKenzie, Rockiff who are either gone or on last legs. The list: Sean Darcy, Tom Stewart, Brennan Cox, Esava Ratagolea, Darcy Cameron, Willie Rioli, Jack Graham, J Daicos F/S, Luke Ryan, Nick Larkey, Mitch Lewis plenty of busts too but how many AA and Premierships in that lot. They would all be playing and reaching their peak NOW and a few we subsequently used draft capital on to get later. But they had a 25% chance of picking someone who was going to be very good just by chance.

To make things worse in the Rookie Draft - Sam Draper, Rowan Marshall, Stengle and Cameron Zurhaar get picked up too

We picked up Ladhams as a Rookie, Lienert and Eddey

2017 - For instance Watts for 31 - that turned into Fritch but in the next 10 selections were Tom McCartin, Harrison Petty & Nathan Murphy also at one stage we had Pick 34 which we received for Impey and we swapped for a 2018 2nd Round plus 59 Joel Garner & 63 I think Dom Barry. Anyway 34 if we'd kept that, the next 10 included Petty, Murphy, Charlie Ballard and with the change we used to get Garner and Barry the following were still available in the next 10 Zerk-Thatcher, Meek and Xerri.

Multiple key position players were available who would be a perfect age for now.

2018 - I'm not going to argue about what we did - the Impey pick was used as part of the Rozee trade up to 5. Did we pay too much who knows in hindsight people can say if we had the key backs from the year before and didn't get Duursma it wouldn't have been the end of the world but no regrets getting X.

2019 - I'm not going to argue with what we did because we picked well. Don't like what we lost to get the 2 picks particularly because we started with pick 10 gave away 2 players and ended up with lower picks. Again good picking bad strategy. What's better Bergmann, Georgiades and Williams or Pickett, Ryder and Howard? I think we've done OK.

So the next couple years we trade away to get Jones and bring in Lord with a late pick. Then lose Ladhams and trade up to get Sinn and get Viscentini and Jackson late.

I guess my gripe is nowhere do we bring in 4 players one from each round its always staggered and then a few stragglers at the end to fill the list. We had the chance to have a really good team now but missed the boat because Stinkers thought he could buy a Premiership in 2016. But he was wrong. Very Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back