Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW an informant of mine who is generally pretty accurate with his mail reckons Kenny might be gone by the end of today - don’t at me - jus passing on what I was told
Stop making things up

Agree generally, we fall over in big games and we've got a few of those coming up.

Apart from when the coach's contract is on the line. Then they seem to win those games. Or just enough of them to give him slightly more time.

The going was tough in 2022 and 2023 and we strung some wins together to get the heat off of him.

In 2022 they were in finals contention at 8-8 and then lost 4 games in a row. Had Clarko not been so outrageous with one demand in particular, he would have been the coach for the 2023 season. Port tried to get rid of Hinkley in 2022 but no one wanted him, and by the time Essendon showed interest it was too late.

In 2023 they certainly won a solid string of games to take pressure off Hinkley.

What is a pattern though is that this team has not been able to step up and elevate their level of performance when the other team does. As in, finals and other games of significant importance (such as showdowns), the Club has a long history under Ken of not getting the job done because their can't handle the pressure. They are fine though when they put internal pressure on themselves to raise their performance in an average game because the other team doesn't place as much importance on the game. But later in the year the final five games of the season in particular are against teams fighting for a top 4 or top 8 position, and thus I would expect to get their best effort. History shows that when going up against an elevated level of effort, Port under Hinkley will flounder, and I don't expect that to suddenly change.

FWIW an informant of mine who is generally pretty accurate with his mail reckons Kenny might be gone by the end of today - don’t at me - jus passing on what I was told

I wish this was true, but know it to be false.

If he is sacked sometime this season, it will be announced on a Tuesday after a footy committee meeting on a Monday night, with the Board ratifying the decision the following morning.

In 2022 they were in finals contention at 8-8 and then lost 4 games in a row. Had Clarko not been so outrageous with one demand in particular, he would have been the coach for the 2023 season. Port tried to get rid of Hinkley in 2022 but no one wanted him, and by the time Essendon showed interest it was too late.

In 2023 they certainly won a solid string of games to take pressure off Hinkley.

What is a pattern though is that this team has not been able to step up and elevate their level of performance when the other team does. As in, finals and other games of significant importance (such as showdowns), the Club has a long history under Ken of not getting the job done because their can't handle the pressure. They are fine though when they put internal pressure on themselves to raise their performance in an average game because the other team doesn't place as much importance on the game. But later in the year the final five games of the season in particular are against teams fighting for a top 4 or top 8 position, and thus I would expect to get their best effort. History shows that when going up against an elevated level of effort, Port under Hinkley will flounder, and I don't expect that to suddenly change.

If he is sacked sometime this season, it will be announced on a Tuesday after a footy committee meeting on a Monday night, with the Board ratifying the decision the following morning.

What was the demand from Clarko?

Alfie to get the sack?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand this bit, he is a coach, we didn't need to trade him? Who cares if no one else wanted him.

I’ll add onto what PowerBaz said: What were the demands that Clarko had that the club said no to him?

GC away - 50/50, yes they are good there, but we also haven't lost to them since 2011.
Richmond home - 90% win. Night game brings it down from certain.
Carlton away - Certain Loss
Sydney home - 33% chance. Night game Vs top side, likely loss, despite the fact we've won 7 in a row against them.
Melbourne away - 20%-40% chance. Likely loss.
Showdown - 50/50 at best. Crows with nothing to play for and confident against us will be dangerous, only help would be if they are playing for kids with a focus on development.
Freo away - 20% chance. Likely Loss.

At 10 wins now, I think it is reasonable to say we could finish anywhere between 11 to 14 wins.
Disagree.

GC: 50-50

Richmond: 90% win

Carlton: likely loss

Sydney: 50/50 (but I reckon 55/45 we win)

Melbourne: reverse of Sydney 55/45 we lose but could be 50/50

Showdown: 60/40 win (home showdown
no excuses enough is enough)

Freo: 55/45 loss

I don't understand this bit, he is a coach, we didn't need to trade him? Who cares if no one else wanted him.

It was about getting off the remaining 800-900k left on his contract. At the time they couldn't afford to get rid of him unless it was for someone like Clarkson. The financial circumstances however have since changed and are no longer a mitigating factor.

I’ll add onto what PowerBaz said: What were the demands that Clarko had that the club said no to him?

This one I can't say as the information was given directly to me by someone high up at the Club. All I can say is that the demand was absurd and its enactment would have been unprecedented.

If he gets another job in the AFL Industry, whatever he is paid reduces the payout that Port has to give him.

Why do you think Brad Scott got his plumb job at the AFL when North sacked him under contract.

Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back