Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be so sure. Hinkley is a Victorian and outside of losing finals and a shit game plan his win/loss record is not too bad. Hinkley has a win record of 59.6% which is better than Clarkson, Hardwick, Lyon, Goodwin or Kingsley. You can never tell as Ross Lyon despite his shortcomings and lack of success seems to keep getting gigs.
Ross Lyon has coached three Grand Final seasons at two different teams, and has twice been one kick away from a flag. Not remotely comparable to Hinkley.

When Hinkley finally goes, a book should be published with every single Sack Hinkley thread included - one chapter per thread. Might have to split it into a few volumes. I’d pay good money for it.
I think I figured out how the bible was written.

The book of Gbear
The book of TazD
The book of Dr feel
The book of Tribey
The book of So Brave
The book of Teekray
The book of shulzenfest

Etc...

It was based on a thread just like this

All chapter and verse

2021 was possibly the worst prelim final performance in the history of the AFL.

Agree with your post, but if you count the VFL as the precursor to the AFL, the 1984 VFL preliminary final stands alone. I can never forget it because it ended John Cahill's Victorian coaching experience.

Essendon 28.6 (174) d Collingwood 5.11 (41) a 133 point margin.

Jack reputedly took the players onto the ground later that night and asked them to show him the holes in the ground they fell into.

Maybe there's been a worse PF result, but I don't know about it.

The Greyhound racing is actually probably why ken won't go to west coast. He'll get the sack end-of-season, then do greyhounds full time.
The type of animal is not important, its the amount of cruelty inflicted to make them do the thingy. If theres no greyhound racing in WA he could pretty easily set up a co-ck fighting ring inside the club.

Agree with your post, but if you count the VFL as the precursor to the AFL, the 1984 VFL preliminary final stands alone. I can never forget it because it ended John Cahill's Victorian coaching experience.

Essendon 28.6 (174) d Collingwood 5.11 (41) a 133 point margin.

Jack reputedly took the players onto the ground later that night and asked them to show him the holes in the ground they fell into.

Maybe there's been a worse PF result, but I don't know about it.

1721705328436.png
Not quite, but close.
33 scoring shots to 34.

What's staggering is the collective non-port view of Hinkley managing to so effectively ignore all the times we've been poor. An entire half a decade between 2015-2019 where we made the finals once for an elimination final loss. For most coaches that 5 year block alone would be more than enough to be out the door.

"But in 2020 and 2021 you were in the top 4 and almost made a grand final!"

Ok, 2020 is the asterisk of all asterisk season, and we still never genuinely felt like winning that prelim. That's arguably kernys best season. A once in a lifetime pandemic with no crowds, shortened quarters, and quarantines.

2021 was possibly the worst prelim final performance in the history of the AFL.

Yet on the back of these 2 seasons + 2 seasons over a decade ago, we're supposed to deduce stinkley is a master coach. And the other 8 seasons never happened.

Very good post. Genuine question for Port fans, has there been any time we have played finals in the last decade or so that you have felt confident Port could win the Premiership?

I know it is simple to say you need to make finals to win a Premiership, but you also need to win a minimum of three finals, and at least two of these are likely to be against teams that finish top four.

So over the course of a full season if you have a poor record against top eight teams (like we do) and an even more deplorable record against top four sides (which we do) it is highly unlikely you will get your act together and suddenly win three finals in a month.

It probably also explains why Port have only won two finals in nine years and lost their last three finals by an average of eight goals.

Carr vs Gossage 🥊

"It's the hot topic in Adelaide".

Well done, idiot.

You've admitted this is another Hinkley ploy to extend his tenure ala the Gold Coast offer and Essendon rumours.

Hinkley (or his people) are floating this idea to a gullible source in Gossage in the hope that Koch will guarantee the 2-yr contract (if not extend it).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good post. Genuine question for Port fans, has there been any time we have played finals in the last decade or so that you have felt confident Port could win the Premiership?

I know it is simple to say you need to make finals to win a Premiership, but you also need to win a minimum of three finals, and at least two of these are likely to be against teams that finish top four.

So over the course of a full season if you have a poor record against top eight teams (like we do) and an even more deplorable record against top four sides (which we do) it is highly unlikely you will get your act together and suddenly win three finals in a month.

It probably also explains why Port have only won two finals in nine years and lost their last three finals by an average of eight goals.

I think we were good enough to win it in 2014 and 2020 and good enough to make the grand final in 2021 (we would've been well beaten by Melbourne but they were a clear standout that year).

2013 and 2017 we were solid but ultimately making up the numbers. 2023 we were not good enough to play finals by the time we got there and were always going out in straight sets.

2014 was the year that got away, for mine.

If the mid year slump didn't happen and we found ourselves top 4, we could have very well won our way to a home prelim and it's anyone's game from there. During the minor round we lost to Sydney by 4 points away, beat Hawthorn at home, beat Geelong convincingly at home and run over the top of Freo late, at home.

We proved ourselves against half of these sides, away, in September anyway. We should have beaten Hawthorn on prelim final day, beat Freo at home in a semi and Geelong at the G wouldn't have posed a threat to us with our run and gun. Sydney were a poor showing on GF day and, had we got there, I reckon we would have ran all over the top of them late.

I haven't had a shred of faith that Port could get it done in a big game, since 20/9/14.

"It's the hot topic in Adelaide".

Well done, idiot.

You've admitted this is another Hinkley ploy to extend his tenure ala the Gold Coast offer and Essendon rumours.

Hinkley (or his people) are floating this idea to a gullible source in Gossage in the hope that Koch will guarantee the 2-yr contract (if not extend it).

It’s such a hot topic that none of the mainstream radio stations in Adelaide that no one spoke about Ken to WC this morning, and yesterday 5AA didn’t mention it once, apart from a caller who quizzed them on the matter, and Rowe threw water on it by saying “the source is unreliable.”

It’s such a hot topic that none of the mainstream radio stations in Adelaide that no one spoke about Ken to WC this morning, and yesterday 5AA didn’t mention it once, apart from a caller who quizzed them on the matter, and Rowe threw water on it by saying “the source is unreliable.”
Gossage broke the Simpson sacking so in that instance, he wasn't unreliable.

Why would West Coast waste time on a coach like Hinkley knowing that they are going to have to go through the whole process again in a few years? He may be good for a couple of rebuilding seasons but he's not the guy for the longer term. They'd be better off trying someone new from the get go.

Once Hinkley is finally done at Port I can't see him getting another head coach job anywhere in the AFL. He was past his use by date seven years ago.
It doesn't pass the sniff test. Even if they were keen on Ken, an organisation that is run as well as West Coast would know that a head coach whose been in a job for the last 12 years would need a significant rest, e.g a year off, before even thinking about throwing their hat in the ring for another senior gig.

i can't believe what the perth radio guy i've never heard of said!

Gossage is a pretty prominent media figure who has been in the game for a very long time and would have good contacts. I suspect he's found out that Hinkley's name has been raised by West Coast power brokers and has put a stack of mayo on it to make a story out of it. Probably ends up nowhere but who knows.

Gossage is a pretty prominent media figure who has been in the game for a very long time and would have good contacts. I suspect he's found out that Hinkley's name has been raised by West Coast power brokers and has put a stack of mayo on it to make a story out of it. Probably ends up nowhere but who knows.
We can always dream.

Actually, we've all been dreaming for a while now to have ken sacked. So dream harder I guess?

For me clearly 2020 prelim against Richmond where we lost due to a lack of composure and Scott Lycett getting killed by Nankervis. That was the Dustin Martin game for me. If he did not play - we win easily.

I also think our chances in that game would have been greatly enhanced if we still had Chad Wingard.

I think we would have been a good chance in the GF against the Geelong at the Gabba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back