Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken Hinkley, the Australian rules football coach and former player, is sometimes nicknamed "Daddy Donuts" due to his resemblance to a character in a popular Australian television advertisement for Donut King, a donut chain.

The nickname is a lighthearted and humorous reference, often used by fans and commentators to affectionately refer to Hinkley. It's not an official title or a reference to any specific achievement or trait, but rather a playful moniker that has stuck due to his physical resemblance to the character in the advertisement.

I don't think we need to worry about AI taking our jobs anytime soon

Why can't those bozos see that how Hardwick speaks and the message behind it is what the fans want, what the players and the club needs to be successful.

And we had it. Ingrained in our culture and we willingly and deliberately pissed it away on a bumpkin from Camperdown.

Our culture’s fantastic if you’re pursuing a mildly successful family business model where everyone gets along, no toes are stepped on, tough conversations are forbidden, and the primary goal is a healthy balance sheet year on year.

View attachment 2066971

Anyone know what Dimma is talking about here? Surely the job of a head coach isnt to get results out of players, I mean he cant kick it for them can he?
I would wager that he's never demanded an apology from one of his players.

Our culture’s fantastic if you’re pursuing a mildly successful family business model where everyone gets along, no toes are stepped on, tough conversations are forbidden, and the primary goal is a healthy balance sheet year on year.

This 100%, even if we afford Koch the benefit of the doubt that this isn't necessarily what he wanted to instill, this is what has been.

I can't fathom how they reconcile this with our past culture and success and tick everything off?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This 100%, even if we afford Koch the benefit of the doubt that this isn't necessarily what he wanted to instill, this is what has been.

I can't fathom how they reconcile this with our past culture and success and tick everything off?

Ruthless expectations and demanding a flag on a non-negotiable timeline is seen as deluded behaviour from a bygone era.

The “it’s not the SANFL anymore”/“supporters don’t understand how hard it is”/“supporters expectations don’t help” messaging has been pretty consistent on this.

Maybe they’ll switch gears when the debt is finally retired in the coming year or two, but it all seems fairly cushy and comfortable finishing with more wins than losses, and benchmarking against popular external expectations.

“They’re hard to win”.

It's because David Koch pushes the line that "we're not in the SNAFL anymore" and "we're just a poor little battler club from Alberton".

In Koch's eyes the culture that drove he PAFC into the AFL has no place in the AFL.

We exist to exist and make the community proud. :mad:

Ruthless expectations and demanding a flag on a non-negotiable timeline is seen as deluded behaviour from a bygone era.

The “it’s not the SANFL anymore”/“supporters don’t understand how hard it is”/“supporters expectations don’t help” messaging has been pretty consistent on this.

Maybe they’ll switch gears when the debt is finally retired in the coming year or two, but it all seems fairly cushy and comfortable finishing with more wins than losses, and benchmarking against popular external expectations.

“They’re hard to win”.

Spot on again, there's no argument that anyone could ever make to convince me this is anything other than simply a loser mentality.

Cliche but, really, Fos would be spinning.

We exist as an organisation to win them, who cares how hard it is, it's supposed to be hard.

The excuse making and mentality accompanying it is the biggest issue within the club. Makes my blood boil.

You have to also ask, why not embrace the pursuit and stop with the excuses and the only reasonable explanation is that people are covering their arses and avoiding accountability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Failure but accountability. Sing it Dimma.

I mean the sort of narrative almost trying to be weaved that Koch is not a footballing administration cretin is laughable.
Id happily just accept it if our club would call failure failure, rather than trying to spin everything.

If we fail but we're all pulling together to fix things its a fine spot to be.

If we fail and say "but our win percentage bla blah blah" we stay in no mans land.

Spot on again, there's no argument that anyone could ever make to convince me this is anything other than simply a loser mentality.

Cliche but, really, Fos would be spinning.

We exist as an organisation to win them, who cares how hard it is, it's supposed to be hard.

The excuse making and mentality accompanying it is the biggest issue within the club. Makes my blood boil.

You have to also ask, why not embrace the pursuit and stop with the excuses and the only reasonable explanation is that people are covering their arses and avoiding accountability.

That plus Hinkley forever talking up the opposition. For once I'd love to hear, "Good luck to them, trying to close down all our strengths."

That plus Hinkley forever talking up the opposition. For once I'd love to hear, "Good luck to them, trying to close down all our strengths."

I know it's well established in here what his jig is, and it's still important to not promote arrogance and an underestimation of our opposition, but practically every game Hinkley is singing the praises of whoever we are playing and building it up as though beating them is climbing Everest.

Surely someone from within could bring it up with him and maybe question perhaps instilling some self belief?

But then again, the mentality has permeated the club right through.

I know it's well established in here what his jig is, and it's still important to not promote arrogance and an underestimation of our opposition, but practically every game Hinkley is singing the praises of whoever we are playing and building it up as though beating them is climbing Everest.

Surely someone from within could bring it up with him and maybe question perhaps instilling some self belief?

But then again, the mentality has permeated the club right through.

So true, and the 'monumental event' type behaviours seen for some regular minor round wins.

Id happily just accept it if our club would call failure failure, rather than trying to spin everything.

Yep, exactly.

Just call failure failure and success success. Losing is failure and winning is success. It's not a difficult or complicated idea to comprehend. It sounds so simple but the guiding philosophy of a sports team should be that winning is good and losing is bad. You should be unhappy when you lose and happy when you win.

Somewhere along the road we lost that mentality and moved into the realm of 'winning is hard', 'it's not the SANFL anymore', 'connection is more important than winning', etc. This is the sort of stuff all losers tell themselves and that's unfortunately what we've become.

“They’re hard to win”.
Someone needs to tell them they're not that fücking hard to win. Curing cancer or putting humans on Mars is hard. By contrast, there's a 100% certainty every year that someone will win the flag. Amazing as it sounds, I've even heard a rumour that they themselves think they can snag 3 in 5 years.

How much mileage is Kenny's winning % getting on multiple media outlets lately jeezus some of these surface level dills have been told the breakdown on top 8 and top 4 sides more than once yet they are still running with it.
It's why we have to keep the Bottom Ten Ken and Daddy Donuts monikers front and centre.

It sounds so simple but the guiding philosophy of a sports team should be that winning is good and losing is bad. You should be unhappy when you lose and happy when you win.
Careful with that argument. Koch's data tells him that Hinkley is the winningest coach of all time so we should be shooting for a 20 year tenure.

If we fail but we're all pulling together to fix things its a fine spot to be.

If we fail and say "but our win percentage bla blah blah" we stay in no mans land.
The thing is if you are accountable you don't need spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back