Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just listened to it - I didn’t hear him mention “the list”. I heard we’re not one of the best teams in the comp we have to keep working - but I also heard “at our best we can match it with any team”. This was after we were smashed by Brisbane. I was at that game, I would have thought those comments were very optimistic under the circumstances.

Expat, then HE is the problem. You don’t have a third option.

He was saying how young and inconsistent the players were, and that we weren’t as good and consistent as the Lions were.

Who do you think he is saying is the reason for that?

Expat, then HE is the problem. You don’t have a third option.

He was saying how young and inconsistent the players were, and that we weren’t as good and consistent as the Lions were.

Who do you think he is saying is the reason for that?
He'd never deliberately say it was his fault, it's almost a freudian slip without directly saying the contradicting part. What he said is definitely a more subtle version of what some fans say, as in "Ken's done very well with the list he has, they've overachieved with him at the helm" when it begs the question, who built the ****ing list???

Like that fake spring you get every year, campaigners come every year like a pilgrimage each late August to the sack hinkley thread, telling us where are your boos now.

We tell them who gives a shit about H&A, it's flags that matter. They scoff, Ken then chokes on his wheaties the morning of the big game. And so on it goes.

the lion king disney GIF

Like that fake spring you get every year, campaigners come every year like a pilgrimage each late August to the sack hinkley thread, telling us where are your boos now.

We tell them who gives a shit about H&A, it's flags that matter. They scoff, Ken then chokes on his wheaties the morning of the big game. And so on it goes.

the lion king disney GIF
It’s especially wild now considering we saw a textbook Hinkley-Port finals campaign only last year. I got the optimism in 2020 when we hadn’t been in finals for 3 years, but right now we’ve made finals in 3 of the previous 4 seasons, and underachieved to varying degrees in all 3 appearances. Literally no reason for anyone to say “where are your boos”. Alas, I think we’ll see more of the same. It’d be very nice to see a grand final and a flag but there’s no reason to think we will do it other than JHF being even better than last year and Sweet being growing into a very handy option that we didn’t have last year. Even then it takes 3 consecutive wins against top 8 sides and that doesn’t seem too easy to achieve for this club.

It’s especially wild now considering we saw a textbook Hinkley-Port finals campaign only last year. I got the optimism in 2020 when we hadn’t been in finals for 3 years, but right now we’ve made finals in 3 of the previous 4 seasons, and underachieved to varying degrees in all 3 appearances. Literally no reason for anyone to say “where are your boos”. Alas, I think we’ll see more of the same. It’d be very nice to see a grand final and a flag but there’s no reason to think we will do it other than JHF being even better than last year and Sweet being growing into a very handy option that we didn’t have last year. Even then it takes 3 consecutive wins against top 8 sides and that doesn’t seem too easy to achieve for this club.
Butters a year older George kicking goals jhf a year older Willie in form Logan Evans BZT rat can mark ..

Plenty more going for us this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butters a year older George kicking goals jhf a year older Willie in form Logan Evans BZT rat can mark ..

I‘d just ticked past 24 hours awake when I sent that and am at work. I only mentioned the two most obvious factors in my opinion, but given the reigning premiers aren’t in the equation, you’d have to think every club in the 8 has at least a few reasons why they’re better equipped to win it than they were last year. We don’t necessarily have an upper hand over the likes of GWS and Sydney in this regard in all honesty.

Dixon not cooked.

I would give anything for Houston, Farrell and Marshall to be fit and firing, but Flankers can be replaced, Key Pillars in Ruckmen, Key Forwards and Key Backs can not. This year is almost the reverse of previous years.

It's hard not to draw comparisons between our current 2020-23 period and Chocos 2001-03 period of finals failure.

Backlash, criticism and pressure from key stakeholders (in this instance the fans) may again force an urgency to get it done.

A fourth top 4 finish in 5 years, would be torturous to not convert that into a GF appearance at minimum, despite all preconceived doubts.

The test for whether Ken gets a pass mark for 2024 hasn't started yet. Doesn't even start next week tbh. At some point this year we'll be either two or three wins away from a premiership and one loss away from season over. The test starts then.

It's a test he's failed every time he's been faced with it before, no matter how good we've looked up to getting to that point. I'm not at all convinced this year is different, but I would love it to be. Even though the result on the scoreboard wasn't that impressive, JHF's will to win dragging us over the line in the Melbourne game gives me a sliver of hope that it could be.

Last edited:
I‘d just ticked past 24 hours awake when I sent that and am at work. I only mentioned the two most obvious factors in my opinion, but given the reigning premiers aren’t in the equation, you’d have to think every club in the 8 has at least a few reasons why they’re better equipped to win it than they were last year. We don’t necessarily have an upper hand over the likes of GWS and Sydney in this regard in all honesty.
Go to bloody bed...

I was thinking back to Ken's 'tears' after the win against the Saints where he said something like 'we're only two games away from top 4 but it feels like we're bottom 4'.

That's exactly the pressure we as supporters expect of the club.

I see several opposition board posters 'want' Port to win a premiership so that Ken can tell us to GAGF but we would love nothing more for him to do that.

The list is there, the structure and gameplan is there. If he wants a premiership, it's there for the taking.

Go to bloody bed...
I’m stuck in the middle of a 7-5 shift and the only reason I had to stay up was to write a match report for a local footy game. As for why that took me an entire night, that’s half to do with pre-existing ADHD and half to do with my passion for footy being absolutely drained. And why has that happened? You guessed it…
Ken Hinkley is the reason I will end up being awake for at least 33 hours. People want to tell me booing is bad because poor little Kenny’s feelings, if you truly believe all humans are equal, this ****er has ruined my enjoyment of something I had for my entire life and was willing to go into a debt in excess of $30k to study so I could work in the industry. My hatred for this campaigner goes deeper than any hatred I have for anyone, except maybe one other person.

"Now the real stuff begins and it simply must be a grand final or bust for Ken Hinkley’s PAFC career and a premiership or bust for his legacy. Will he go down as a zero premiership player and coach at AFL level? Or can he deliver to the members that elusive 2nd AFL flag they have been demanding?

If he does, there will not be a single member, coach or board member who regrets holding the club and coach accountable to its mission of ‘existing to win premierships” in whatever way they could."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back