Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day. So, re the WCE coaching search -- nothing leaking out of the club whatsoever...

You nuffies over here ain't got some resident insiders who've heard anything?

I could search back ITT for info, but you know. To be fair I come in peace etc.
AFL Club: West Coast

1725045529304.jpeg

The "200+ post" Club

8 people have already reached the threshold. I'm surprised we have a new leader!

1. tribey, 249
2. gbear, 247
3. philreich, 237
4. sobrave, 220
5. TazD, 207
6. Us against the rest, 204
7. EskimoPAFC, 204
8. rogerjames, 202

[8,957 posts in]

Last edited:

The difference between Williams and Hinkley is also that the team under Williams was an unquestionably fantastic football team from 01-04. Personally I feel the first half of 2014 is the only time I've felt a Ken Hinkley era team has been genuinely good. Even the top 4 finishes from 2020-2024 I've at no point felt like we are an elite football team.

The "200+ post" Club

8 people have already reached the threshold. I'm surprised we have a new leader!

1. tribey, 249
2. gbear, 247
3. philreich, 237
4. sobrave, 220
5. TazD, 207
7. EskimoPAFC, 204
8. rogerjames, 202

[8,957 posts in]
Jesus. I thought gbear s lead was unassailable.

The "200+ post" Club

1. tribey, 249
2. gbear, 247
3. philreich, 237
4. sobrave, 220
5. TazD, 207
7. EskimoPAFC, 204
8. rogerjames, 202

[8,957 posts in]

Sorry have been busy with writing a uni assignment these past couple of weeks, but it is now submitted and I am ready to retake my sack Hinkley post mantle post count again.

The difference between Williams and Hinkley is also that the team under Williams was an unquestionably fantastic football team from 01-04. Personally I feel the first half of 2014 is the only time I've felt a Ken Hinkley era team has been genuinely good. Even the top 4 finishes from 2020-2024 I've at no point felt like we are an elite football team.

Williams had passion and drive. I remember him taking the team to the members side countess times at footy ark. Hinkley doesn’t look like he is present most times and when his job is at stake he cries like a baby!

The KPI’s (if we are to believe what was reported) were taken out because he took a pay cut.

One might have thought a coach coming to the club and saying 'you know, I'm really not confident I'm actually going to be able to achieve anything in this role, I'm willing for you to cut my pay as long as you also lower my expectations' might have been a red flag for a club with half a brain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth would West Coast want Hinkley. If it was as a Choco Melbourne role I'd understand it but seriously he will take that list nowhere. All he might do is add a couple more Pick 1 's and maybe a compo pick.

Here's a question half the coaches in the league have been there for about 10 years the other half are re-building. If you are an assistant coach if you are saying no to re-building teams you are kidding yourself. They are the only jobs that you can get. Carr is the lucky one but has had to wait...he must be mid 40's by now.

He can be a burner as well, get those early picks in the name of ‘development’, pay him to take the burn. Then go into the coach you want.

With Hinkley they don’t have to go to a completely useless assistant type to ruin their career. He can still sell a little hope too.

whereas m7 you'd prefer a coach gifting games to a rogue's gallery of tiny and/or spudish flankers that would have Commissioner Gordon on the Batphone post-haste in desperation
I don't think that players like Nick Salter, Damon White, Scott Bassett etc wouldn't be considered tiny or spuddish flankers?
On the other hand - Simon Phillips, Cameron Hitchcock, Daniel Stewart, Stephen Daniels, Nathan Steinberner et al who were gifted games when they were obviously not up to AFL standard.....

G'day. So, re the WCE coaching search -- nothing leaking out of the club whatsoever. In fact, as some journos have noted, it's conspicuously, deafeningly quiet. This is creating the feeling that something is pretty well lined up and being kept under wraps, which in turn would suggest a targeted head-hunt of someone experienced, since we'd be getting wind of fresh prospective candidates coming and giving presentations etc. And so, well you can see where I'm going.

You nuffies over here ain't got some resident insiders who've heard anything?

I could search back ITT for info, but you know. To be fair I come in peace etc.

It's you and Brisbane.

Fagan is going to throw in the towel though stress. The Hawks issue has got to him.

Ken goes there.

Williams had passion and drive. I remember him taking the team to the members side countess times at footy ark. Hinkley doesn’t look like he is present most times and when his job is at stake he cries like a baby!
I've never questioned his passion and drive, my question around him was twofold - lack of a back up plan once his imitation of Pagan's Paddock was exposed and Tredrea was nullified by opposition teams, as North and the Toilet Ducks did with nauseating regularity - and his reluctance to use good performing SANFL players in key forward roles they were suited to as it would upset the above apple cart, preferring to either allow them to languish in the lower competition or fester on the list.
IMHO there was some redemption for this in 2004 when the use of a second key tall up forward ( Thurstans ) proved a valuable foil. But realistically the penny should have dropped way before then.

He can be a burner as well, get those early picks in the name of ‘development’, pay him to take the burn. Then go into the coach you want.

With Hinkley they don’t have to go to a completely useless assistant type to ruin their career. He can still sell a little hope too.
So you're advocating a Hinkley/Matthew Knights double bill. They'd be lucky to crack a win for the season and Reid will be playing for [insert big Melbourne club].

Sorry have been busy with writing a uni assignment these past couple of weeks, but it is now submitted and I am ready to retake my sack Hinkley post mantle post count again.
Looks like I'll have to settle for 3rd. All good - I'm kinda used to being the Third Reich :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back