Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The secret to finals success is being ready in August?

In 2020 and 2021, Port won 7 out of 8 games in August and Kenny still choked in a home Preliminary Final.

Koch is an arrogant fool who knows nothing about Port's history.

And if we lose you won't hear a word from him until March next year.

Is this the first thing he's said all year?

Weird considering since he retired from Sunrise he was apparently going to have " more time around the club"

That was bizarre.

Went into the 2014 and 2015 seasons with Schulz/Butcher as a tandem — and seemingly all summer planning was geared to recognising the importance of a forward line featuring two legitimate key pillars — and yet seemingly couldn’t wait for the faintest justification to revert to Schulz or bust, rather than persist with a reliable structure otherwise deemed to be pivotal to winning.
This single point forms perhaps my biggest critique of Williams' coaching.
Williams was very single minded in his ' Tredrea or bust ' game plan, despite having some pretty handy key forwards on the list during his tenure who could have been that reliable second pillar, and it was proven time and time again that it would not stand up when it counted.

I recall a game at the MCG in his first season against North when Port went in with Tredrea and Lockwood in tandem, they completely bamboozled the North defence and kicked ( I think ) 10 between them and Port lost by a goal, arguably attributed to a very dodgy free in the last minute to Peter Bell which was the difference.
For some weird reason the very next week Lockwood was dropped and never played again, and suffered a career ending back injury playing at Centrals, if my memory is correct.

This seemed to be a constant pattern, try it out for a week when one of the other forwards blitzed it in the SANFL, then when they proved to be a handy second pillar and outshone or complemented Tredrea, they were dropped straight back.

This single point forms perhaps my biggest critique of Williams' coaching.
Williams was very single minded in his ' Tredrea or bust ' game plan, despite having some pretty handy key forwards on the list during his tenure who could have been that reliable second pillar, and it was proven time and time again that it would not stand up when it counted.

I recall a game at the MCG in his first season against North when Port went in with Tredrea and Lockwood in tandem, they completely bamboozled the North defence and kicked ( I think ) 10 between them and Port lost by a goal, arguably attributed to a very dodgy free in the last minute to Peter Bell which was the difference.
For some weird reason the very next week Lockwood was dropped and never played again, and suffered a career ending back injury playing at Centrals, if my memory is correct.

This seemed to be a constant pattern, try it out for a week when one of the other forwards blitzed it in the SANFL, then when they proved to be a handy second pillar and outshone or complemented Tredrea, they were dropped straight back.

Can't believe Williams held Bowen Lockwood back from outshining tredrea 😡

I think you can be critical of Choco and ask whether we should have got 2 or even 3 flags out of that list...

But at the end of the day there are lots of great sides that don't get any at all. Port of 18/19/20 went empty-handed (and only even made finals in one of those seasons). Saints of 10-11 came up empty. Pies of the early 2000s, etc. They aren't easy to win and generally you need to be a really special coach to get it done, no matter how good the list is.

The key is HOW we lose. Not all losses are equal.

Two somewhat recent examples should suffice: (a) losing the 2020 PF hurt, but the 2021 PF was unacceptable; (b) missing Finals in 2015 was disappointing, but in 2018 was unacceptable. The former ones are forgivable; the latter are not.

Moreover, the longer a coach stays in the position, the heavier burdens losses become — regardless of how they happened. At some point, his ability to win without loads of luck must be questioned.

This isn’t true only now, for Hinkley and for Port. It always applies to all coaches and clubs.

IMHO I think he has done a phenomenal job getting the best out of what you have on your list
and trading out disruptive elements like Wingard.
I had to split this sentence into two distinct quotes because it just feels like an unbelievable contradiction. You wanna tell me the bloke who headed the club during the career of possibly the most naturally talented footballer to put on a Port Adelaide jumper, maybe ever, gets the most out of the players? When this same player got carted off the second shit started going sour? Not a single off-field indiscretion in his career either so I'm just gonna come out and say that's a bullshit call.
Chad Wingard is probably the biggest individual reason why I support Port Adelaide so I'm a little bit biased when I say what I've said, but come the **** on man. We saw what Chad Wingard was able to do, particularly between 2013 and 2016. If you can't make Chad Wingard work, you've got no chance.

In 2020 and 2021, Port won 7 out of 8 games in August and Kenny still choked in a home Preliminary Final.

Oh my goodness, could this turd just keep his mouth shut for once?

Just curious, do you apply this same description to the games record holder at Port, Travis Boak?
Seeing as he is a blow in Victorian country potato from Torquay on the Great Ocean Road.

Surely he'd qualify as a loyal Port man now?
Loyal is brushing off a dynasty in Geelong because you'd rather remain at your struggling club and try and help build the club back up, and going on to play more games for them at AFL level.
Loyal is not threatening to leave for Gold Coast (oh how I wish he did) because Kochie hurt your feelings, loyal is not siphoning millions of dollars from a club while not delivering any success (premierships), loyal is not being the only coach to renegotiate the KPI targets in your contract during COVID so it was harder for the club to sack you.
I want him gone, I wish he'd left, I hope he does soon. But don't try and imply that he's loyal to this club. The only reason he's stuck around is because it's convenient and our club is run by spineless wimps who are too scared to make the bold call to have sacked him at the many opportunities it would have been appropriate to. I feel physically sick when anyone tries to say this ****er is loyal, and it's not because he's from Victoria. Hell, I'm from Melbourne myself. It's because he's a conniving little campaigner who, along with David Koch, embodies the fact that we're a shadow of what Port Adelaide used to be.

Just curious, do you apply this same description to the games record holder at Port, Travis Boak?
Seeing as he is a blow in Victorian country potato from Torquay on the Great Ocean Road.

Surely he'd qualify as a loyal Port man now?

You fail to understand not just Port but football clubs in general. It's never about where someone came from.

There is an enormous gulf in the behaviour of Boak and Hinkley towards the club over the journey, both in how they've embraced the club and what they've sacrificed to be here. Boak sacrificed to stay here and has fully embraced the club, both in being front and centre in the Prison Bars movement and showing deference to our legends.

Hinkley hasn't shown a skerrick of interest in the club he's coached for 12 years. Never embraced the history or the heritage before him, likely because of the poor light it casts him in. He doesn't care about the club beyond his friends and the fact that we employ him and that extends as long as we continue to employ him. He's never coming back through the doors at Alberton when we finally get rid of him.

Who the * are "Ken Hinkley's men" you absolute fool Koch. Get out of my club, both of you.

No Twitter for me. 😒

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David, every time you open your mouth, you're either fellating Hinkley, or making yourself out to be a bigger fu**wit than you are already perceived as. So don't do it. A sacking requires no speaking part on your behalf.

I thought it was a pretty straight forward interview from Koch.

It is easy when things have been done well and they have this year.

The only real issue I have with the interview is that Koch doesn't acknowledge that last year with the 13 in a row and peaking our players mid season also lead to him and the administration making a very poor decision on keeping Hinkley and then the finals went bad.

According to him, there was level of accountability with the Lions loss and they went away and fixed it the team which I don't think you can deny as we are playing a different brand of football. A few of the things that were fixed up have creeped back into the team but we will see how all of that goes.

I really do think there must be some credit given to the coaching and admin staff with the changes they have done since the Lions loss because the Port Adelaide brand of footy is back.

Loyal is brushing off a dynasty in Geelong because you'd rather remain at your struggling club and try and help build the club back up, and going on to play more games for them at AFL level.
Loyal is not threatening to leave for Gold Coast (oh how I wish he did) because Kochie hurt your feelings, loyal is not siphoning millions of dollars from a club while not delivering any success (premierships), loyal is not being the only coach to renegotiate the KPI targets in your contract during COVID so it was harder for the club to sack you.
I want him gone, I wish he'd left, I hope he does soon. But don't try and imply that he's loyal to this club. The only reason he's stuck around is because it's convenient and our club is run by spineless wimps who are too scared to make the bold call to have sacked him at the many opportunities it would have been appropriate to. I feel physically sick when anyone tries to say this ****er is loyal, and it's not because he's from Victoria. Hell, I'm from Melbourne myself. It's because he's a conniving little campaigner who, along with David Koch, embodies the fact that we're a shadow of what Port Adelaide used to be.
Again , I reiterate, the loyal Port man comment was in relation to Boak, not Hinkley.
I'm well aware Hinkley isn't and won't ever be considered part of the inner sanctum and I know first hand the huge sacrifice Travis made to stay with Port, knowing the close family bond and the pull to go home to a close knit club and community at Torquay.

To address your other post re: Wingard, yes, he was talented, but from the POV of an outsider, and many others outside the PA inner sanctum, he was seen as a ' showboater ' and someone who had developed an opinion that he was bigger than the club, and this detrimentally affected his onfield performances and those of the players around him, and the club suffered as a result. So IMHO to trade him out was a good move and in keeping with the PA ethos. Interesting to note that neither Clarkson, nor Mitchell, has been able to do anything with him, and I'm sure you'd agree their coaching pedigrees far surpass Hinkley's.

You fail to understand not just Port but football clubs in general. It's never about where someone came from.

There is an enormous gulf in the behaviour of Boak and Hinkley towards the club over the journey, both in how they've embraced the club and what they've sacrificed to be here. Boak sacrificed to stay here and has fully embraced the club, both in being front and centre in the Prison Bars movement and showing deference to our legends.

Hinkley hasn't shown a skerrick of interest in the club he's coached for 12 years. Never embraced the history or the heritage before him, likely because of the poor light it casts him in. He doesn't care about the club beyond his friends and the fact that we employ him and that extends as long as we continue to employ him. He's never coming back through the doors at Alberton when we finally get rid of him.
This was a great post for the most part but I will take exception to the bold / italic part.
I might not understand the intricacies of PA in fine detail, but PA seem to be a very esoteric case when it comes to football clubs.
I don't like to parade my own experience on public forums and appear as a ' know all ' but I have been involved since the 70s is some way with Queenscliff, even since living in SA, and there is a very strong community link with the sporting clubs as there is with many small regional towns and traditional clubs. Ex players etc don't fade into the sunset, they remain part of the club, and I can tell you they are circling like sharks awaiting Darcy Gardiner to call time at Brisbane and ' come home '. Kyle Hartigan ( ex Crows & Hawthorn ) was imported at great expense to the club this year, and played 3 games, up to Round 5. Not been seen since, either in the side or at the club. Understandably he has a gig as assistant coach at Werribee VFL, but you're either part of the club or you're not. So I understand well enough.

Boak showed great "loyalty" back in the early 2010s when we desperately needed it, I'm sure he was handsomely rewarded for his "loyalty". Unfortunately the club in return has paid back that loyalty far too liberally. Should have traded him out years ago.
"Loyalty" is a meaningless word in pro sport it's not 1955 no one is playing for the love of the club.

Boak probably stayed out of loyalty to his mates not 'the club'. But he still made the decision to stay knowing deep down he was passing up on field success, the extra financial incentives that come with playing for a successful Victorian club and the obvious of living close to his family. He deserves some credit for that.

Again , I reiterate, the loyal Port man comment was in relation to Boak, not Hinkley.
I'm well aware Hinkley isn't and won't ever be considered part of the inner sanctum and I know first hand the huge sacrifice Travis made to stay with Port, knowing the close family bond and the pull to go home to a close knit club and community at Torquay.

To address your other post re: Wingard, yes, he was talented, but from the POV of an outsider, and many others outside the PA inner sanctum, he was seen as a ' showboater ' and someone who had developed an opinion that he was bigger than the club, and this detrimentally affected his onfield performances and those of the players around him, and the club suffered as a result. So IMHO to trade him out was a good move and in keeping with the PA ethos. Interesting to note that neither Clarkson, nor Mitchell, has been able to do anything with him, and I'm sure you'd agree their coaching pedigrees far surpass Hinkley's.
Weird, I think most Wingard haters think the exact opposite. That he lost the passion for the game and focused too much on off field crap like video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back