Saints Are Finished in 2011 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not writing them off yet.

At least some of our lesser names are playing well.

Guys like Roo and Goddard can't be out of form forever.

no one has suggested for a minute hayes be replaced for ball. we know hayes is better, no question. but ball had a role too, but your team & methods couldnt see it. ball as seen as surplus cos he couldnt do the marathon running that the list cloggers were doing, and moved on. and he is grateful thankyou.

It really came down to Lenny Hayes v Shane O'Bree.

Which one would you rather be in line behind?

Ok, whilst it does look all doom and gloom, lets be a bit realistic and realise that its 6 rounds in. Saints are 1-1-3, not 0-6. The club has at least been competitive and been in winning positions in all but 1 poor loss to Essendon. Don't forget Hawthorn came back from 1-6 last season to play finals and St Kilda are still very much in the hunt this year.

Yes, I'm personally concerned with our current form, but believe there is still a lot of upside for this season. It has been our senior players this year so far who have been off the boil, who have struggled to make an impact and get the side over the line. You can't possibly tell me that players of the calibre of Nick Riewoldt, Brendon Goddard, Leigh Montagna and Sam Gilbert arent going to bounce back at some stage in 2011. Im very confidant that at sometime, and hopefully soon, they will run themselves into good form as thats what the best players do. There's too much quality there still in their prime to just waste away a season and there are a few more mid card players you could throw in there aswell.

Overall it's actually been the younger players who have impressed this season and stood up. David Armitage has taken his game to a new level with the absence of Lenny Hayes. Ben McEvoy, 21, has been solid in the ruck running a solo show and in a few years will be one of the premier ruckmen in the game. Jack Steven has been good and will get better with more games and it was a promising start for Jamie Cripps and Dan Archer. It's a myth that St Kilda dont play young players and expect to see more blooded in the coming weeks. It's these guys that leave me with a bit of hope in the coming years.

I'm not writing them off yet.

At least some of our lesser names are playing well.

Guys like Roo and Goddard can't be out of form forever.

I'm convinced it's his barbers fault!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their gameplan is outdated. The sooner they realize you need to actually score to win games the better. Atm they play with 2 much of a defensive mindset. Their defence works well in packs but they look very vulnerable 1 on 1. Also they lack penetration from their defence. Dawson can't kick well and neither can Baker and those 2 guys are their main backs. Plus they've got the mental scars of losing consecutive grandfinals. A lot of their senior players are looking like shells of their former selfs and the loss of Hayes has crippled them. They've got some quality players and they'll never be an easy team to beat this year but the way they're playing atm i just can't see them being a threat this year or anything. They'll be lucky to make the 8.

Taking Kosi at pick 2 is streets ahead of taking Josh Fraser at pick 1 over Pavlich.

choosing Fraser was a better decision than their actual 'priority' pick, their father sons were better decisions than both.

Presti was on Collingwood's list last year and was drafted in 1995

Johnson '00, Didak '01, Swan '03, & Maxwell '04, were the only players recruited in the next 10 years who played in the flag team.

Any decision to go young was one of necessity rather than invention.

Their gameplan is outdated. The sooner they realize you need to actually score to win games the better. Atm they play with 2 much of a defensive mindset. Their defence works well in packs but they look very vulnerable 1 on 1. Also they lack penetration from their defence. Dawson can't kick well and neither can Baker and those 2 guys are their main backs. Plus they've got the mental scars of losing consecutive grandfinals. A lot of their senior players are looking like shells of their former selfs and the loss of Hayes has crippled them. They've got some quality players and they'll never be an easy team to beat this year but the way they're playing atm i just can't see them being a threat this year or anything. They'll be lucky to make the 8.

Incorrect, we had more scoring shots than Adelaide but couldn't buy a goal for most of the match. 9.17 is an inaccurate aberration by any measure for us, particularly in the 1st quarter when we managed just 6 points due to inaccuracy. It's not the game plan, it's all between the ears.

The fact is, beyond Fisher, our top 5 haven't been performing.

Both Goddard and Riewoldt seem extremely stressed, probably from the Grand Final performances. Riewoldts stress will be about his inability to stand up, despite shot delivery all day, being played out of position, and a piece of magic caused almost entirely by Shaw, will be affecting them. Goddard will stress over his and the teams performance, asking why they couldn't stand up, and did he do enough to win it? They will also struggle to compensate for the loss of Hayes, our obvious spiritual leader.

For Montagna and Dal have struggled since Hayes went down. A tag that was normally rotated between 3 is now between 2, and therefore, the responsibility normally shared between 2, now falls to a lone player. Tagged has been unable to break loose, which means free has so much fall to him.

Quite soon, it will become close to a mathematical impossibility for us to make the 8. At that point, 2 things should happen.

1. Knowing that the season is gone, Lyon should play kids, who have never had a greater opportunity to get, and secure a place in the side. A lot of energy will be injected into the team.

2. The weight of expectation is likely to leave Goddard and Riewoldts shoulders. They'll play football because they enjoy it, and they'll be better for it. Fewer dropped marks, stupid kicks etc.

These two things are also likely to co-incide with our 2nd Bye, and after that, an easier run of Games.

I believe we'll be talked about Hawthorn 09/10 style, before fading as our kids tire, and it becomes nigh impossible to get into the 8.

Johnson '00, Didak '01, Swan '03, & Maxwell '04, were the only players recruited in the next 10 years who played in the flag team.

Any decision to go young was one of necessity rather than invention.

Neccessity, invention.....pfft. It doesnt really matter. They are just words. Invention is neccessary in AFL footy. You never expect to have many premiership players in your team from a draft ten years ago.

All credit to Collingwood for rebuilding, and to select on form, not reputation. I'm glad we werent carrying baggage around like Kozi Baker and Blake.

This thread has way too much Collingwood and Luke Ball in it.

Looking forwards, things don't look good for this season but that is it. Decisions on who or what to trade must wait until the end if the year. More kids should be played, some of them look like they will go OK. Armitage has been a revelation.

For mine the biggest choice is whether to keep faith in Lyons or look for another coach. It's a tough call. He clearly has many excellent qualities but has he lost the faith of the group? Only the insiders know. The main difference between saints '10 and '11 is in the players head (and Lenny, of course).

A new coach could achieve wonders next year. Just look at what Hird has done!

It is still possable for the Saints to come good in 2011, but 1000 to 1 odds.

2012 and onwards, don't know, maybe yes, maybe no. I thought we were done in 2007 when we failed to make the eight & then in 2008 I could not see were improvement was going to come.

The gap between being a good team & a bad team is so small & much is mental. The baby bombers looked like a certain thing for a three peat. So did Geelong.

Armitage has been a revelation.

Thats a huge call. He's about to turn 23 and was a top ten draft pick. Taken a pick after Ben Reid and pick before Nathan Brown and a round before Chris Dawes, all talls who are supposed to take longer according to the well accepted theory.

He's starting to play somewhere near his potential. But revelation? Naaahhh.

Thats a huge call. He's about to turn 23 and was a top ten draft pick. Taken a pick after Ben Reid and pick before Nathan Brown and a round before Chris Dawes, all talls who are supposed to take longer according to the well accepted theory.

He's starting to play somewhere near his potential. But revelation? Naaahhh.

He's had potential since his first game but Ross never gave him game time to develop!

But, I believe there were some off field issues that may have been behind some of this, its hard to know the extent of these issues though.

Armitage has stepped up to creditably fill the void left by Lenny. That is my point. How many other kids could step up if given similar responsibility. The saints should spend this year finding out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back