Saints Are Finished in 2011 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can't replace Lyon.

There would be too much of a mass exodus if that were to occur. They couldn't justify to guys like Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Hayes and Goddard that they are no longer in "premiership mode" and expect them to stay around.

They need to extend his contract for at least another 2 seasons and give him the opportunity to find some quality young players to inject into the group.

However, as Paul Roos said awhile ago on the couch, perhaps it may come down to Ross wanting to go at the end of the season, if someone decided to come knocking and was interested in obtaining his services.

Some big decisions loom at St Kilda if they cannot turn their season around.

Looks like the same player to me, still lacks penetration with his kicking and still only plays limited game time due to his lack of speed and ability to cover the ground.

He has benefitted from having a good team around him, not that he didn't have that at St Kilda but maybe Collingwood's game plan or structure suits him better.
Being valued suits him better

I think Goddard would be around for another tilt but it would be hard to convince Roo, Dal and Joey that they will see out a quick rebuild, say 2 years, and then still be there for the push back up.

My problem is; If Ross was to go who do we get to replace him?

So much of today's football is about IP. There is no doubt in my mind that the extra 5% gained by the Pies last year was from the addition of Ball, Hudgton and Jolly. They all possesed details of Ross, his gameplan and how to stifle his best and most important player in Riewoldt.

St.Kilda the year before were able to almost topple Geelong with the information given by Steven King and Leigh Tudor.

Is there anyone at Collingwood right now that would really leave?

Even if we brought in a new coach I think it would be a very hard sell for the fans/players/sponsors that things would pick back up UNLESS we landed a big fish ala MM or Roos.

Regardless of what happens I'd love to see one (or both) of Alan Richardson and Dean Laidley poached to help develop the kids. I rate these guys very, very highly and they are experts in an area we need the most help with. I had hoped we'd got one this year with the issues over at Port and Richo leaving the Dons. Both would also have the standing and authority to tell Ross something I don't think he hears enough - NO.

Ross - "Gilbert doesn't want to play up forward. So for 2011 we should just keep him down back."
Laidley - "NO."

Ross - "McEvoy was a high draft pick. 2nd best ruck behind Kruezer that year. Should be right on his own for 90% game time in the middle yeah?"
Richardson - "NO"

Ross - "The two Toms - Walch and Lynch - seem to be having fun playing in the 2's. Let's let them develop there a little longer..."
Richardson and Laidley - "NO!"

Sigh...

A man can dream can't he?

I think Goddard would be around for another tilt but it would be hard to convince Roo, Dal and Joey that they will see out a quick rebuild, say 2 years, and then still be there for the push back up.

My problem is; If Ross was to go who do we get to replace him?

So much of today's football is about IP. There is no doubt in my mind that the extra 5% gained by the Pies last year was from the addition of Ball, Hudgton and Jolly. They all possesed details of Ross, his gameplan and how to stifle his best and most important player in Riewoldt.

St.Kilda the year before were able to almost topple Geelong with the information given by Steven King and Leigh Tudor.

Is there anyone at Collingwood right now that would really leave?

Matty Lappin lives 5 minutes from Seaford, given the apparent nightmare in travelling all the way to Seaford each day, you can only imagine the perilous and arduous journey he must take each day with the traffic.

btw, do Collingwood have anyone on board who hasn't played at St Kilda?

but yeah, Geelong only had about 13 of them.

Not in 2007. Their plum draft was 2001. Nice predictable response, though, shame it wasnt too well thought through.

Took them six years to rebuild - about average I'd say.

Collingwood did it in five....from 2005 to 2010. Our "plum" draft wasnt until 2006. So we really did it in four years.

No doubt by the time we win our fourth flag in this era, we'll have as many nine-ten year players as Geelong had in 2009.

With a good injury run, full pre season, why cant the saints win the flag in 2012?

- hayes back
- mcevoy and stanley reading to be ruckman
- steven, armitage, smith, cripps, lynch, siposs, heyne, winmar - youth/speed ready to go

- goddard, reiwoldt, fisher, hayes, montagna, dal santo, Gram, Gwilt, Schnieder, Milne will all be still great players, what do you think they are suddenly going to be 40 years old an useless? AND not playing finals in 2011 ALL will be fresh raring to go.

- 2 good quick players drafted this year might be all we need

This group is not done yet. laughable to suggest so. The players know it and will be back. Too many guns to give up now.

Just need R.Clarke to be consistent he is a gun when 'on' he is fast and reads play very well. He's major problem is motivation and disposal under pressure which are hard to rectify i know - but my god if he did he would make fools of all of you.

We get our best 22 on the park and some luck we could well win the 2012 flag.

With a good injury run, full pre season, why cant the saints win the flag in 2012?

- hayes back
- steven, armitage, smith, cripps, lynch, siposs, heyne, winmar - youth/speed ready to go

- goddard, reiwoldt, fisher, hayes, montagna, dal santo, Gram, Gwilt, Schnieder, Milne will all be still great players, what do you think they are suddenly going to be 40 years old an useless? AND not playing finals in 2011 ALL will be fresh raring to go.

This group is not done yet. laughable to suggest so. The players know it and will be back. Too many guns to give up now.

Just need R.Clarke to be consistent he is a gun when 'on' he is fast and reads play very well. He's major problem is motivation and disposal under pressure which are hard to rectify i know - but my god if he did he would make fools of all of you.

Commendable optimism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007 - 2001 = /quote]

Geelongs core premiership list in 2007 was formed in 2001. They had very few players from prior to that date

Collingwoods core premiership list in 2010 was formed in 2005-6. They like Geelong had very few older players in that 8,9,10 years service bracket.

Very similar rebuilds. Collingwood actually did it quicker but only at the margin. We had a bad year and picked up Pendlebury and Thomas. Geelong had a bad year and picked up Selwood. Both Geelong and Collingwood recruited decent ruckmen. Similarities everywhere. Collingwood won a flag probably a year ahead of schedule.

Because the 22 you've listed won't have anywhere near the required quality or depth in its mid-20's core to win a flag.

Compare St.Kilda's 23-26yo's in September 2012 - Goddard/Gwilt/Clarke/Armitage/Walsh - with

Swan/Thomas/Cloke/Shaw/Ball/O'Brien/Toovey/Goldsack
Ablett/Bartel/Johnson/Taylor/Kelly/Mackie/Byrnes/Blake
Hodge/Mitchell/Sewell/Brown/Guerra/Campbell/Gilham/Williams/Osborne/Ladson
Ablett/Bartell/Johnson/Chapman/Enright/Corey/Ling/Mackie/Rooke/Kelly/Hunt/Byrnes
Judd/Cox/Glass/Kerr/Embley/Hunter/Lynch/Stenglein/Hansen/Jones/Jones
Goodes/O'Keefe/Bolton/Bolton/Jolly/Davis/Kennelly/Mathews/Fosdike
and so on...

The 9 younger players you've named have less than 70 games' experience between them, and won't be seasoned enough to contend as a group.

You're right about the top end - the quality is still there on paper. But the question underpinning St.Kilda's current form slump will remain - do they still want it badly enough?

- hayes back

Really? Ok, with the list you have, you may well be able to give it a crack, but Lyon really has got to try something different or be replaced. The players have lost their confidence in themselves, each other, and the game plan. Some big changes need to be made in terms of game plan and attitude for this to happen.. And the other thing is that if the Saints really do focus everything on the 2012 flag, it's going to put back their rebuild two years, and instead of getting away with a partial rebuild now and challenging again in 4 years (if lucky) they'll have to to a total rebuild and won't challence again for around 8 years at best..

Wonder why so many opposition supporters are happy to proffer what is wrong with Saints footy and what to do about it. We should be happy if they are on the slide, because I do not yet believe they are out of contention to make the GF. Hayes is a major concern, but I would not at all be surprised if they completely make and shake the top 4.

They have the capacity, talent and incentive to repeat 2010, but is the desire what it should be? That is really the only thing missing, other than Hayes. Desire will lead to confidence and form, and then they keep winning.

Didn't have them in my top 6 before the season begun. They play a boring style of footy and lack depth. To cap it off the injury to Lenny whom I consider their most valuable player by a mile just drowns any chance they have of final aspirations this year.

Wonder why so many opposition supporters are happy to proffer what is wrong with Saints footy and what to do about it. We should be happy if they are on the slide, because I do not yet believe they are out of contention to make the GF. Hayes is a major concern, but I would not at all be surprised if they completely make and shake the top 4.

They have the capacity, talent and incentive to repeat 2010, but is the desire what it should be? That is really the only thing missing, other than Hayes. Desire will lead to confidence and form, and then they keep winning.
I don't agree. They have a very tough draw over the coming weeks, playing Carlton, Hawks, Melbourne and Freo away then the Pies. Of those games I give them a realistic chance (in their current form) of beating Melbourne, but will in all likelihood drop the other 4, which will put them at 2.5 wins after 11 rounds. They would have to win 11 straight games to be a chance of making the top four. Cannot see that happening, especially with a house as divided as theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back