Saints in trouble again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lighting someone on fire at a party. What could go wrong? Well, this is what can go wrong. http://tvnz.co.nz/content/35312/4202557/article.html

When you light people of fire, there's a good chance they'll die. Not ****ing rocket science. My four year old knows it.

Maybe now this has been fully brought to light and exposed as a stupid prank that went wrong instead of a malicious act, we can all grow up a little, build a bridge and get over it.

The media got their story, the wrestlers got their publicity, and St Kilda once again got to temper our happy emotions with a giant kick to the proverbial balls.

Done and dusted as far as I'm concerned.

Strange to see many of you think it is funny. Maybe pay a visit to a burns ward and see how funny that is.
Would CJ be laughing if one of his family get set alight?
Strange that you would come on to another club's forum seeking to be offended...

Now Neil Mitchell is going off about the players offensive costumes, priests nuns and confessionals.

I'm Christian, and couldn't care less what they wore.

However zero sympathy here, you draw a stinking big target on your back, this what happens.

Saints are a target of their own making.

That's not being sanctimonious, that's just a fact.

The magnifying glass is peering at seaford now, and it's only week one.

Strange to see many of you think it is funny. Maybe pay a visit to a burns ward and see how funny that is.
Would CJ be laughing if one of his family get set alight?
Take it to the main board.

we can all grow up a little, build a bridge and get over it.

You've got the point and missed it at the same time.

Many are looking for the players to grow up a little, and stop handing bad press to the media on a platter.

You don't have to like the way the media portrays St Kilda, but you (and the players) should accept that it is the current reality.

Some of your earlier posts were too quick to cast blame to others:
"What can be done about publicity wh0res seeking to drag our club through the mud?"
"Someones story is not adding up. Do we start hiring the QCs and get them for slander?"
"He has no idea who the player was, but is certain enough to run to the media that it was a Saints player? Yeah, right!"

It was our player. We have gifted a negative story to the media. One that continues today.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fiery-dwarf-jape-afls-latest-sorry-episode-20130903-2t3dt.html

On August 26, AFL officials drove to Seaford, sat St Kilda players down and did as they had done with players at numerous other clubs and spelt out the dangers of binge drinking on Mad Monday and the pitfalls to be avoided.

They plainly forgot to discuss the most obvious and important advice: ''Do not set fire to a dwarf. In fact, under no circumstances go near a dwarf entertainer with a naked flame. And while you are at it, do not set fire to each other.''

This is the weirder-than-life reality show that periodically percolates around the St Kilda Football Club. Why did it have to be StKilda?

That started out as drunken high jinks - lighting each others' shoelaces when players were not looking, moved into lighting the back of each other's clothes - and escalated into putting a flame to the entertainer's shirt.

(the Daily Filth has a lovely double page spread on page 4-5)

You've got the point and missed it at the same time.

Many are looking for the players to grow up a little, and stop handing bad press to the media on a platter.

You don't have to like the way the media portrays St Kilda, but you (and the players) should accept that it is the current reality.

Some of your earlier posts were too quick to cast blame to others:
"What can be done about publicity wh0res seeking to drag our club through the mud?"
"Someones story is not adding up. Do we start hiring the QCs and get them for slander?"
"He has no idea who the player was, but is certain enough to run to the media that it was a Saints player? Yeah, right!"

It was our player. We have gifted a negative story to the media. One that continues today.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/fiery-dwarf-jape-afls-latest-sorry-episode-20130903-2t3dt.html

On August 26, AFL officials drove to Seaford, sat St Kilda players down and did as they had done with players at numerous other clubs and spelt out the dangers of binge drinking on Mad Monday and the pitfalls to be avoided.

They plainly forgot to discuss the most obvious and important advice: ''Do not set fire to a dwarf. In fact, under no circumstances go near a dwarf entertainer with a naked flame. And while you are at it, do not set fire to each other.''

This is the weirder-than-life reality show that periodically percolates around the St Kilda Football Club. Why did it have to be StKilda?

That started out as drunken high jinks - lighting each others' shoelaces when players were not looking, moved into lighting the back of each other's clothes - and escalated into putting a flame to the entertainer's shirt.

(the Daily Filth has a lovely double page spread on page 4-5)

I am happy to admit I was wrong, that there was more to the story than a cynical ploy for publicity, but it also wasn't the ritual sacrifice the hysterical media reaction.

I despise the way the media has portrayed out club, which has caused misinformation and outright lies to be leveled at our players (someone in the thread on this in the scandal board said the Nick R was "fiddling with schoolgirls" - no idea where he got that from!) and, while I can accept our players are doing the wrong thing, other clubs players do exactly the same stuff and virtually get away with it because there is less of a story in a Bulldogs, Gold Coast or Melbourne "scandal" than there is in a St Kilda one.

There are absolutely no winners here, we all lose.

ACA story tonight about it.

Maybe Tracey has discovered a dodgy past association.

blake-729-620x349.jpg

Or maybe there was another party in her "nude drunken evening with James Packer".

other clubs players do exactly the same stuff and virtually get away with it because there is less of a story in a Bulldogs, Gold Coast or Melbourne "scandal" than there is in a St Kilda one.

They're not repeat offenders are they? In isolation there's really not much in each incident. But it adds up. The media eat this up, they absolutley love it, and because it's St Kilda invovled again makes it a story in itself, irrespective of the actual incident and it's facts.

To us diehards, we learn enough about the situation to form our own judgement. But to others who barely dabble in AFL they watch/listen to media, see St Kilda involved in more unsavoury behaviour and it taints their entire view of the club. This is 100% why we struggle so much for sponsors. Why would a company, trying to build its brand and exosure want to associate with a club a majority view as trouble, when there's 17 better choices out there? (When was the last time we held onto a jumper sponsor for back to back terms?)
This is a serious serious problem that spreads into every facet of the club, we're already falling way behind the rest of the competition, and I'm extremely worried because it's becoming clear the after 4 or so years of stupidity, there are still no effective measures in place.

Overblown or not, I don't care about the actual story, I am however absolutley livid we have invited all this negative attention on ourselves again, ESPECIALLY after the weekend we had. We of all clubs should know by now how scrutinized player behaviour is.

And in regards to recruitment, forget Dustin Martin, forget Taylor Adams, forget Dayle Garlett. This club does not have the capacity to manage any of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it pretty amazing that anyone thinks in this day and age it is a good idea and I believe the trouble started with whoever the individual was that thought it was a good idea to hire them as you would have to be pretty classless to think it is somehow fun to have dwarves at a party.

I get that lighting the bloke is world class stupid.

What I don't get is the feeling amongst several posters about how bad hiring the dwarf (or dwarfs maybe, I dunno) in the first place. Pretty sure they weren't just dragged off the street and made to perform, it's part of how these particular individuals make their living (and by "particular individuals" I don't mean dwarfs in general. Just these particular dwarfs).

This guy is an entertainer. He lives off of being hired. I don't understand what the issue is with hiring some entertainment.

Boardwalk Empire is a good show.

Agree PS

Markworth, Newnes, Geary, Ross, Ben all seem sensible enough young men.

I get that lighting the bloke is world class stupid.

What I don't get is the feeling amongst several posters about how bad hiring the dwarf (or dwarfs maybe, I dunno) in the first place. Pretty sure they weren't just dragged off the street and made to perform, it's part of how these particular individuals make their living (and by "particular individuals" I don't mean dwarfs in general. Just these particular dwarfs).

This guy is an entertainer. He lives off of being hired. I don't understand what the issue is with hiring some entertainment.

Boardwalk Empire is a good show.

Strippers, pole dancers and a variety of other unsavoury acts are also legal and how people make a living, BUT if we hire such acts, including dwarf performances, we leave ourselves open to adverse publicity. This isn't about casting aspersions, on any of those groups and their right to earn an income; but whether it is appropriate that the St Kilda Football club, or their players, have them for entertainment at any function.

Would Hawthorn, Geelong or the Swans have allowed this to go ahead? Not a hope in hell. This isn't rocket science and if they don't have someone at the club with the media and public relations skills, then they need to hire someone. Essendon have PR Companies micro managing the biggest scandal, in the history of the game, to try and minimise the impact on sponsors, members, supporters etc. We have minor dramas that could have been easily averted and if they do happen, WE SHOULD have this being managed immediately.

Think of when Eddie stuck his foot in it, with comments about Adam Goodes. Unacceptable by anyone's reasoning. If this was St Kilda, there would have been no comment from the club, for two to three days, then a statement on the web site, that the club was investigating the matter. All followed up a day or two latter by some action. Eddie went straight on the offensive, with a press conference, evening appearance on AFL 360 to try and manage the whole affair. Like Eddie or not this is irrelevant. He professionally dealt with it and did everything to minimise the effect on himself and Collingwood and to take air out of the whole issue. We as well as letting this type of rubbish happen, seem incapable to handle any scandal or event, in an speedy and professional manner.

This inability to move quickly is shown by the failure of social media and generating quick news and highlights to members, via email, or through the web site and this lack of professional haste is even more damaging when there is a problem. We have high profile business people on the St Kilda board, who have these contingencies catered for in their own businesses, so why aren't the same staffing and processes in place for St Kilda. This is something that can be fixed with the right people, systems and procedures. It clearly needs to be done now.

Strippers, pole dancers and a variety of other unsavoury acts are also legal and how people make a living, BUT if we hire such acts, including dwarf performances, we leave ourselves open to adverse publicity. This isn't about casting aspersions, on any of those groups and their right to earn an income; but whether it is appropriate that the St Kilda Football club, or their players, have them for entertainment at any function.

Would Hawthorn, Geelong or the Swans have allowed this to go ahead? Not a hope in hell. This isn't rocket science and if they don't have someone at the club with the media and public relations skills, then they need to hire someone. Essendon have PR Companies micro managing the biggest scandal, in the history of the game, to try and minimise the impact on sponsors, members, supporters etc. We have minor dramas that could have been easily averted and if they do happen, WE SHOULD have this being managed immediately.

Think of when Eddie stuck his foot in it, with comments about Adam Goodes. Unacceptable by anyone's reasoning. If this was St Kilda, there would have been no comment from the club, for two to three days, then a statement on the web site, that the club was investigating the matter. All followed up a day or two latter by some action. Eddie went straight on the offensive, with a press conference, evening appearance on AFL 360 to try and manage the whole affair. Like Eddie or not this is irrelevant. He professionally dealt with it and did everything to minimise the effect on himself and Collingwood and to take air out of the whole issue. We as well as letting this type of rubbish happen, seem incapable to handle any scandal or event, in an speedy and professional manner.

This inability to move quickly is shown by the failure of social media and generating quick news and highlights to members, via email, or through the web site and this lack of professional haste is even more damaging when there is a problem. We have high profile business people on the St Kilda board, who have these contingencies catered for in their own businesses, so why aren't the same staffing and processes in place for St Kilda. This is something that can be fixed with the right people, systems and procedures. It clearly needs to be done now.

I think that's bs

But at any rate, as much as I appreciate your lengthy response, it still doesn't explain what makes the dwarf entertainer unsavoury. Is he a stripper?

I am one of the people that think the PC rubbish and 24/7 indepth view on players is a very bad thing. I hate it and there is no way that I would have subjected myself to it when I was a young man. When I think of the things I got up too. :oops: It's like one of those ads when the middle aged driver is stopped at the lights beside their younger version.

But I am also a realist, that is the world as it is and we have to accept it. In the real world there are hunderds of people ready to make a living by dumping shite on St Kilda. Hunderds of thousands of fans who love nothing better then to laugh at St Kilda becouse it makes their disgusting club look better. And the club has in the past made themsleves an easy target. The crap they write costs the club money and that costs the club games.

St Kilda has in the past and still does handle these things very poorly. We should have sued the arse off worse of them in the Duthie affair and not given her any money whatsoever. No hotel rooms when she was thrown out, called her what she was and Caro can go flush herself.

But as well as getting rid of the "easy victim" tag for every rabid journo and attention whore out there. we also need to deal with the problem we do have. The players do stupid things. The scum would have nothing to write about if they did not do stupid things.

So when a scandal of any size happens we need to do the following

- React quickly, within hours, "we are concerned and are investigating"
- Have our lawyers phone the typical scum and give them due warning "we are watching, if you are going to write on this, warn your insurer now"
- Discover what happened
- Tell the truth
- Do something obvious to the stupid player to teach a lesson and shut the nuffs nuffs up
- Issue proceedings vrs every media scum who so much as got one tiny little thing wrong

We do none of the above at present and so this keeps happening

The media thought it was hilarious when Jimmy Bartel dressed up as Kim Duthie at their mad Monday...Does anyone actually watch ACA? Gutter journalism at its best.

Check out the Fox Sports top ten worst Mad Monday pranks, we only rate at 9. Some bloke at number one rooted a dog last year and his mates happily taped it.

Jut heard the fellow involved was paid $50,000 to go on ACA, good for him!!! Mission accomplished.

The guy involved in the Saints incident on Monday do you mean? If so bloody amazing. Like the US now where you can engineer an incident and then cash in on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints in trouble again!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back