Preview Saints vs Bombers Fri 14 July Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking likely Hickey will play next Friday night, Billy has been superb and deserves a rest.

Acres for Membrey and sit him forward perhaps? He's played the position before and can take a good contested mark. Don't think Paddy is ready.

I imagine Mav will be a very good chance to return if we have to replace both Skunk and Jill, unless Freezer was pulled and not injured/sore.

Doubt immensely that we'll rush Paddy straight back in.

If both Newnes and Skunk miss it will be Acres and either Mav or Freezer, I expect.

Should be good game for the neutral to watch I reckon.

Hopefully we don't drink our own bathwater after a good win, Essendon can be a very good team on their day, but are clearly inconsistent. Must win for us obviously.

Would be happy for Paddy to come in for Membrey personally.
Rice should be getting closer and closer you'd think.

Don't see why Weller would sneak straight back in.
If it's not Freeman then who else would it be? It doesn't sound like anyone else was pulled late for Sandy except for Acres and while most have been bagging Mav relentlessly, he's still generally been finding enough of the ball (for the role he plays) and it's pretty obvious that he's been injured for probably most of the year, so a week off might have done him a lot of good.

I hope they don't rush him back if he's still not right though. We need a fully fit and in form Mav in the team if we make the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judging from sandy and the mystery surrounding Freezer being out.

I'd say Acres and Freezer in and possibly Hickey.

Don't see why Weller would sneak straight back in.
Well Freezer would probably be best like for like replacement for newnes. Quick, high endurance and can do a lot of the contested stuff as well. Only difference is he can't go back and play defence like newnes. But Mckenzie/savage will play more defence next week.

My comments are probably more pertinent to the post game thread than the preview thread but here they are anyway.

Our biggest improvement is in our defence. The impact of Brown-Carlisle is immeasurable. For so long we have had to make do with undersized defenders being monstered by big-bodied forwards. Not any longer. How many times has Jack Riewoldt towelled us up in recent years ? It was great to see him running around virtually kickless for a change. Last week McCarthy for Freo and before that Lynch for the Suns were equally impotent. If we can nullify Daniher next week in a similar fashion it will go a long way towards us winning.

My only concern there is what happens if one of Brown or Carlisle suffer a serious injury ? We would be stuffed because there would be no one to fall back on with any confidence. The lack of development of Goddard due to injury is a missing piece of our overall development to this stage.

Boy, Koby Stevens has surprised me. I had him in the Aaron Fiora category when we recruited him but he is much better than that. Maybe even better than Faz who we also got from the Dogs. Tough inside but creative outside. Sure he does a few too many helicopter kicks but right now he's been our second most productive midfielder for the season, after Seb.

I'm still a Hickey fan in the great Longer-Hickey debate but you can't fault Billy's endeavour. It's purely a matter of what you rate more highly on the day. Around the ground possies (Hickey) or contested ruck work and hits to advantage (Longer). Clearly Billy's game was a good match up for Nankervis and he took him to the cleaners.

I've always been a DMac fan but he's running low on credits at the moment. He just coughs it up too much and seems to play nervous. Almost like he knows he has to perform or he's out the side. Obviously it would be a good to give him a run of 5 games to let him strut his stuff but with finals a possibility no player has that luxury.

The same applies to Paddy. It would be great to just let him have a crack at it, but the last 7 times Paddy has been out of the team we've won every game. Clearly a forward line structure of Rooey, Bruce and Membrey is a winner. With Membrey likely to be missing for a couple of weeks I really hope Paddy can grasp the opportunity this time.

That said, I expect Acres will replace Membrey. He's the nearest we've got to what Membrey brings to the table. A couple of goals and a run through the midfield from Acres would go some way to filling the void.

Despite our great effort against the Tigers I think Essendon will be a real test. We need our team defence to be at it's best. The Bombers have been playing well even when they've lost ie. against Sydney and no doubt they will try and run us off our feet.This is one week when we will need to kick straight early.

This is a bit of dejavu. The next 3 week block against Essendon and away games against Sydney and Port looks awfully like our horror three week draw against the Swans, Dogs and Crows earlier in the year. Let's hope we do better this time around. A possible finals berth depends on it.

Finally, it would be great to see Jake draw first blood against his old team and to see BJ go all angry again when they lose.

Hard to tell until we know how everyone pulls up but I agree that Acres will be first in for Membrey.

After that, if Newnes is no good I think Weller will come in and play forward and Acres pushes up the ground a bit. Paddy would be an outside chance instead of Weller, but I just can't see it happening considering he hasn't played for a month.

Really hoping Longer pulls up alright as he absolutely destroyed Nankervis last night.

Was Freeman an injury withdrawal today? Does anyone know?
Sandy Twitter account

389924_e5fe7558cde85604af8cffc81182b7f2.png

Huge game for us and if we win it it will really be something. Not because Essendon are amazeballs or anything, but because:

-We'll probably get hyped up this week like Melbourne and Richmond have in recent weeks and it's hard for young teams to not drink their own bathwater when that happens.

-We're coming off back-to-back 6-day breaks, including a trip back from Perth and I reckon the team would have been pretty stuffed by the end last night, being down a rotation for perhaps the last 45 mins with Newnes off and coming off the first of those 6 day breaks and the trip back from Perth.

-It will need to be our 5th win in a row if we win it and that's no mean feat.

-We're likely to be without Membrey, who's been very important for us for the last 18 months and in particular late v Freo and obviously last night, with his 5 goals. May also be without Newnes, who was on target for about 40 disposals last night until he got injured.

Overcome possibly all that and any other negatives that pop up in the meantime and beat the very capable Essendon and it will be a super positive for the club.

Reckon if Newnes is out we need to bring in a small def. option with Tippa and Fantasia they have a good small fleet by the time u add in some mids rotating through. Rice in for me and give him a lockdown job on a small fwd.

Longer - Hickey swap is an easy one if required, and Acres-Membrey makes sense also.

If Freeman is ready he comes in for Dmac who was made to look average which given the score line says something. Sav can play defence if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back