Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Right now the stats that show we have improved feel a bit like my mum saying I am handsome but the pretty girls still won't go out with me.

The real stats that matter are PF and PA.
Yep, easy to win the ground ball gets if your kicks and handpasses don't hit a target. Good sides move the ball from end to end without it hitting the ground. Even the Bruest goal which was one of our best, impy missed the pass to Mitchell.

Even if Sam was going poorly (his not) I would still resign, stability is such a crucial factor in development.

Nothing worst then changing coaches to early, just creates more mess.
While I don't think this is applicable to this situation, there is one caveat. If a coach were available who was clearly the best coach in the game (maybe ever) pulling the trigger could be a benefit. In 1993, the Detroit Red Wing snatched up Scotty Bowman, even though Bryan Murray had guided the team to improvement each year. Seemed to go quite well for them.

Some of those losses were heart breaking. We had opportunities to win and couldn't take them.
Yep. 2012 Easter Monday I remember well we were three goals up at 3QT then kicked 0.5 to Geelong 4.1 and lost by 2 points.

Later in 2012 Geelong were up by 51 points in the second quarter then we were up by 8 points with three mins to go in the last. Think we all remember what happens then... :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. 2012 Easter Monday I remember well we were three goals up at 3QT then kicked 0.5 to Geelong 4.1 and lost by 2 points.

Later in 2012 Geelong were up by 51 points in the second quarter then we were up by 8 points with three mins to go in the last. Think we all remember what happens then... :(

The one where Isaac missed the running shot in the f50. Then was dumped and should have been a downfield shot in the pocket
Umpires again. Actually this was post threepeat.

Gazey on cut the crap should voice over Chris Scott ‘ I’m not going to pot umpires cos they’ve helped us v hindered us by at least 10:1

The wheelo ratings site gives a good overview of stats, but the thing I like it about the most is that it has an option to look at stats for the last 5 games only(and you can also look at differentials over that time).

In this regard, here are some good ones for us.

3rd in the comp for Scoring shots per inside 50.

3rd for Marks inside 50.

3rd for Disposal efficiency, which leads into us also being 3rd in the comp for Disposal per Clanger.

1st for turnovers.
No, this doesn’t mean we turn it over the most. We turn it over the least.

In the last 5 weeks we are 7th for Centre Clearance differential. This is what is now getting us into and keeping us in games.

6th for contested possession differential.

3rd for intercept possession differential.

1st for ground ball gets differential. A clear strength. Double the amount of the second placed Lions.

4th for scores from kick in differential.

The wheelo ratings site gives a good overview of stats, but the thing I like it about the most is that it has an option to look at stats for the last 5 games only(and you can also look at differentials over that time).

In this regard, here are some good ones for us.

3rd in the comp for Scoring shots per inside 50.

3rd for Marks inside 50.

3rd for Disposal efficiency, which leads into us also being 3rd in the comp for Disposal per Clanger.

1st for turnovers.
No, this doesn’t mean we turn it over the most. We turn it over the least.

In the last 5 weeks we are 7th for Centre Clearance differential. This is what is now getting us into and keeping us in games.

6th for contested possession differential.

3rd for intercept possession differential.

1st for ground ball gets differential. A clear strength. Double the amount of the second placed Lions.

4th for scores from kick in differential.
Yet another clear bunch of stats showing our gameplan.

Midfield is a strength, when it is rolling it's hard to stop. Even when it isn't, the group are still competitive and good. As shown by the ability to win post clearance ball, use the ball well and transition footy. Forwardline potency has been key and that's without Lewis, clearly in the right direction.

On top of this stat below we are also 2nd in the comp over the last 5 games for Shots on goal per inside 50.

1st in the comp over the same period for Score from kick ins. Thanks Karl!

On top of this stat below we are also 2nd in the comp over the last 5 games for Shots on goal per inside 50.

1st in the comp over the same period for Score from kick ins. Thanks Karl!

The Will Day effect.

The Will Day effect.
Much more than that.
I have it on good authority that we’ve made some tweaks to our gameplan that are best encapsulated by the corporate line of “small change, big impact”.

Much more than that.
I have it on good authority that we’ve made some tweaks to our gameplan that are best encapsulated by the corporate line of “small change, big impact”.
Mitchell seems to be the best week to week changes coach I have seen in a while, calling Hale rainman in the interview was interesting to.

Seems to really focus on particular key standards each week and just fortunate to replay the port loss again this week by keeping a lead. The point of focus on skills being all decision based, you can see it starting to permeate across the list and in games now, still a ways to go but it’s there

Much more than that.
My leaders using the same line. Must have watched the same tedtalk lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back