Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Given that 3 of the teams we have beaten in the last little bit of time have more recently beaten a lot of the sides we lost against earlier in the season, yes. I'd say you can't really judge them as inferior. If you're not willing to take recent form into account then more power to you.
Just to add to your point, current Brisbane would wipe the floor with early Essendon, Melbourne, Geelong and Collingwood!

My mum sent me this earlier today and besides all the goosebumps it engenders, I also had this thought:

Kelli Underwood would have been really confused at this point:
1719723381766.png

The Best part is we have some depth knocking the door down.

Ward / Hustwaite / Morrison (yes was sub today) / Finn / Serong / Ramsden all playing excellent football in the twos ready for the senior call up which we will need when injuries occur like today.

Last year our best 22 was competitive but it soon dropped away very quickly

The Best part is we have some depth knocking the door down.

Ward / Hustwaite / Morrison (yes was sub today) / Finn / Serong / Ramsden all playing excellent football in the twos ready for the senior call up which we will need when injuries occur like today.

Last year our best 22 was competitive but it soon dropped away very quickly
Really? Box Hill made the 2023 VFL preliminary finals. Wasn’t solely down to VFL listed talent was it?

Really? Box Hill made the 2023 VFL preliminary finals. Wasn’t solely down to VFL listed talent was it?
There's a difference between younger promising players like those listed and the players that were there last season, most of whom were older and have proved that they were VFL quality at best.

Our best players in the VFL across last season were guys like Fergus Greene, Lachie Bramble, Kosi, Long, Jeka or BHH listed guys like Mascitti, and we had guys like Ward, Finn playing in the seniors. No real argument that our depth last year was anywhere near as good as this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that we completely overhauled our forwardline in the off season I think we've done really well. We now have more wins that 2023.

It's such a weird season though - 3 absolute stinker teams and only one that's head and shoulders above the rest, means that there's a big soup of middling clubs.

Defeating a dud team like we did yesterday does two things:
1. Very clearly highlights the game plan - West coast's intensity was so low you could see exactly how we wanted to play and what we would do if the opposition didn't put pressure on us.
2. Highlights where the work needs to be - the forward line.

We got enough inside 50s to put in a historical victory. I loved watching the whole game, didn't share the frustration that others did, but there is something missing up there. Dear and Watson - maybe it's just time needed for them to develop and then we'll have that extra marking target and extra potency. But right now there's a big hole up there. Not the worst problem to have.

Sam Mitchell's presser was interesting - didn't smile once. He wasn't happy with that win and spoke of how he sees the best teams being a fair way ahead of us. He also said we have shifted from a goal of "putting ourselves in winnable positions" which says we're doing better than expected.

All the focus with Sam Mitchell was how he would make us more attacking - but in fact he's made us really strong defensively.

It's all coming together. This is amazing to watch. We're a long way from the finished product and the coaching crew clearly aren't going to feel satisfied with a 'pretty good' season.

Given that we completely overhauled our forwardline in the off season I think we've done really well. We now have more wins that 2023.

It's such a weird season though - 3 absolute stinker teams and only one that's head and shoulders above the rest, means that there's a big soup of middling clubs.

1. Very clearly highlights the game plan - West coast's intensity was so low you could see exactly how we wanted to play and what we would do if the opposition didn't put pressure on us.

We got enough inside 50s to put in a historical victory. I loved watching the whole game, didn't share the frustration that others did, but there is something missing up there. Dear and Watson - maybe it's just time needed for them to develop and then we'll have that extra marking target and extra potency. But right now there's a big hole up there. Not the worst problem to have.

Sam Mitchell's presser was interesting - didn't smile once. He wasn't happy with that win and spoke of how he sees the best teams being a fair way ahead of us. He also said we have shifted from a goal of "putting ourselves in winnable positions" which says we're doing better than expected.

All the focus with Sam Mitchell was how he would make us more attacking - but in fact he's made us really strong defensively.

It's all coming together. This is amazing to watch. We're a long way from the finished product and the coaching crew clearly aren't going to feel satisfied with a 'pretty good' season.
We are more attacking too though; in each of our past 5 games we've kicked between 85 and 107 points.

I think our forward line works pretty well, the issue has been wastefulness more than anything. Over the last 5 games we have the highest expected score per game in the league, and the most shots. The difference is that we're about 6 points off kicking our expected score (on average, last night was much worse) and Brisbane, Carlton and Sydney are kicking 10+ more.

Also West Coast do have probably the best KPD pairing in the league for all their other failings.

4th best defensive rating according to Squiggle. And moving towards that defensive premiership zone.

I think our inaccuracy and inexperience contributes to this.

Our forward mix is Chol (new), Ginni (new), Dear (new + first year), Watson (new + first year) and occasionally Hardwick (new). Gunston & Moore are our most experienced with each other followed by CMac. Regardless of individual performance, it can be difficult for everything to gel.

Despite this we generate a lot of shots on goal. I'm optimistic about what the return of Lewis, combined with an additional 1-2 years of development and continuity, can do for our forward potency.

A bit of an overview into what we are doing very well at the moment(over the last 5 weeks).

Hawks 1st in the Comp for Disp Eff in last 5 weeks.

1st for rebounds per oppo in50.
2nd for marks in50.
2nd for marks in50 per in50
3rd shots on goal per in50
2nd scores from CB
2nd scores from kick in
3rd defensive loss %
4th for scores from stoppage

Now for all the things we squeeze the opposition on while doing it well ourselves.

1st inside 50’s differential
1st mark in50 differential
1st scores from kick in diff
2nd scores from stop diff
1st scores from CB diff
2nd scores from defensive half diff
1st intercept possession diff
2nd meters gained diff
4th Centre clearance diff
4th intercept mark diff
2nd marks on lead diff

A bit of an overview into what we are doing very well at the moment(over the last 5 weeks).

Hawks 1st in the Comp for Disp Eff in last 5 weeks.

1st for rebounds per oppo in50.
2nd for marks in50.
2nd for marks in50 per in50
3rd shots on goal per in50
2nd scores from CB
2nd scores from kick in
3rd defensive loss %
4th for scores from stoppage

Now for all the things we squeeze the opposition on while doing it well ourselves.

1st inside 50’s differential
1st mark in50 differential
1st scores from kick in diff
2nd scores from stop diff
1st scores from CB diff
2nd scores from defensive half diff
1st intercept possession diff
2nd meters gained diff
4th Centre clearance diff
4th intercept mark diff
2nd marks on lead diff
That is massive growth from a team that was 0/5

Like the way Sammy has implemented one of his strengths as a player into the team. The ball carrier across the board is very effective at drawing an opponent to them prior to releasing to a teammate. Works very well to create space and usually gives the receiver more time to dispose to the next player in the chain, all positive flow on effects and the results are showing.

I think our forward line works pretty well, the issue has been wastefulness more than anything. Over the last 5 games we have the highest expected score per game in the league, and the most shots. The difference is that we're about 6 points off kicking our expected score (on average, last night was much worse) and Brisbane, Carlton and Sydney are kicking 10+ more.

Also West Coast do have probably the best KPD pairing in the league for all their other failings.
We still flub far too many chances. Missed shots, or just not making the right decision. 2 meters out next to the behind line trying to "center it" 30m out from goal. just snap a goal, dribbles with players on the mark, I think ginny missed a snap when Moore was alone in the goal square, a few times we move the ball and it's just 1 handball too many or we handball behind someone so instead of that play being a walk in goal it's a turnover 60m from goal.

When we start being lethal on those turn overs and hitting the scoreboard we will get some huge wins and challenge the best.

We are improving and Macdonald and Mackenzie have started that. Watson, Ginni and Dear start converting regularly look out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back