VFL Sandy vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

So you don't think Billings is an elite kick then?

If you wish to disagree that is fine and is what forums are for. But without saying why it is pretty meanigless. From what I have seen Billings will not become a absolute gun for the Saints playing in a small forward role. I believe that we will see his best by playing another role, and indeed he has mainly played other roles in games this year.

Billings may well be on a slow burn as different players develop at different rates, but at present compared to players of his age his delivered play does not scream future gun IMO, but rather good to very good. Being a Top 3 pick has no meaning from the moment a players name is called out.

I like virtually all StKilda fans hope that he does become a gun as we desperately need some. But if you speak with opposition fans there is a huge gulf between how the they rate him, and how many StKilda fans do.
that's because they haven't seen what he's capable of, both on game day and in his draft videos. Only now are oppo fans starting to give Paddy the same credence that I had afforded to him fairly early on, because only now is he combining all his little patches of brilliance into one game (pack marks, ground ball skills, pirouettes through tackles, field kicking etc..). Billings is a seriously good kick, doesn't worm burn them like Goddard used to, but I can't remember seeing a better kick at the saints over the past 15 years (Harvey's kicks under 30 metres were better). I think you severely underrated Billing's contested marking and crumbing ability. He hasn't shown much of it lately, but he has shown it, and it's only a matter of time until he starts to put it all together.

What I'm most impressed with is his ability to accumulate the pill. He was seen more as a Wingard type prior to the draft, low possies but big impact, but he clearly has the ability to average high 20's in a few years if we play him in the centre.

I would like to see him play with a bit more intent, but I feel that will come when he feels confident out there, like he's 'the man', to use a richo phrase.

that's because they haven't seen what he's capable of, both on game day and in his draft videos. Only now are oppo fans starting to give Paddy the same credence that I had afforded to him fairly early on, because only now is he combining all his little patches of brilliance into one game (pack marks, ground ball skills, pirouettes through tackles, field kicking etc..). Billings is a seriously good kick, doesn't worm burn them like Goddard used to, but I can't remember seeing a better kick at the saints over the past 15 years (Harvey's kicks under 30 metres were better). I think you severely underrated Billing's contested marking and crumbing ability. He hasn't shown much of it lately, but he has shown it, and it's only a matter of time until he starts to put it all together.

What I'm most impressed with is his ability to accumulate the pill. He was seen more as a Wingard type prior to the draft, low possies but big impact, but he clearly has the ability to average high 20's in a few years if we play him in the centre.

I would like to see him play with a bit more intent, but I feel that will come when he feels confident out there, like he's 'the man', to use a richo phrase.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have no doubt aboout the talent that Billings had as a junior. However as yet he is not displaying that at the same level in the AFL.. Hopefully he will.

My earlier reply was about Billings being a better option in the midfield than as a small forward, and in that it perhaps looks like we agree.

Last edited:

Development is the name of the game at present.

Sincs, Lonie & JB are all babies & have deficiencies to work on. I love the way that Richo is managing them.

If he's being harder on them than others it's because he knows how vital they are to where we want to be.

I have little doubt that Gresh will receive similar treatment over the next 18 months as well.

Let them work on things at a lower level with a slower pace & less intensity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you don't think Billings is an elite kick then?

If you wish to disagree that is fine and is what forums are for. But without saying why it is pretty meanigless. From what I have seen Billings will not become a absolute gun for the Saints playing in a small forward role. I believe that we will see his best by playing another role, and indeed he has mainly played other roles in games this year.

Billings may well be on a slow burn as different players develop at different rates, but at present compared to players of his age his delivered play does not scream future gun IMO, but rather good to very good. Being a Top 3 pick has no meaning from the moment a players name is called out.

I like virtually all StKilda fans hope that he does become a gun as we desperately need some. But if you speak with opposition fans there is a huge gulf between how the they rate him, and how many StKilda fans do.

Honesty who cares how opposition supporters rate any of our players?

Until recent years, you'd never hear a good word spoken about Roo... Did that make him any less of a champion?

Until recent years, you'd never hear a good word spoken about Roo... Did that make him any less of a champion?

You must only know morons then. Plenty of opposition fans that I have spoken with with over the years have acknowledged Roo as being elite, wanted him at their clubs, worried how their teams can shut him down etc. I ignore the rabid ones that every club has including St Kilda.

All fans tend to over-rate their own players and in particular young players who they hope will bloom for obvious reasons. So I tend to discount the views of people about players from their own clubs. But it is interesting to hear how various players not from their own clubs are rated and lusted after. Who they feared etc.

Last edited:
More of a BLT fan to be honest
Or a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich - where the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomatoes are ripe, ooh, they're so perky, I love that.

You must only know morons then. Plenty of opposition fans that I have spoken with with over the years have acknowledged Roo as being elite, wanted him at their clubs, worried how their teams can shut him down etc. I ignore the rabid ones that every club has including St Kilda.

All fans tend to over-rate their own players and in particular young players who they hope will bloom for obvious reasons. So I tend to discount the views of people about players from their own clubs. But it is interesting to hear how various players not from their own clubs are rated and lusted after. Who they feared etc.
I dunno man. Ive seen plenty of legitimate questions/discussions about shit like "who has the better riewoldt" (pro tip, its us.) etc.. It really only has been recent that I think he has hit a "True legend of the game" mark which actually makes other people sit up and agree about his ability.

Or a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich - where the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomatoes are ripe, ooh, they're so perky, I love that.

Mutton sounds like something you snack on while riding your penny farthing bike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a line by Billy Crystal, in one of the greatest movies of all time.

Man I thought I was all over the pop culture references...... I'm getting old, I don't remember anything before last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Sandy vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back