Official Match Thread Season 35, Round 1 – Baghdad Bombers v Fighting Furies @ Abdu Prison

Remove this Banner Ad

The Greatest band ever from Deutschland.

This is from their self-titled album, and plays on the band's nickname. It shows the influence of hardcore punk on thrash (though why they're infamous is their presence at the very forefront of the First Wave of Black Metal; everything that happened in Norway owes a huge debt to Sodom).

All due respect, being the greatest band from Germany is akin to being the best bred family in Elizabeth, just sayin'...

All due respect, being the greatest band from Germany is akin to being the best bred family in Elizabeth, just sayin'...

We'll have to ascribe that to a difference in taste. In what I listen to, German bands are at the very elite, and incredibly influential upon the development of scenes in Norway, Sweden, and Poland, as a few regional examples. There's even Australian bands who played in a German rather than American style; I'll get an example.

The Greatest band ever from Deutschland.

This is from their self-titled album, and plays on the band's nickname. It shows the influence of hardcore punk on thrash (though why they're infamous is their presence at the very forefront of the First Wave of Black Metal; everything that happened in Norway owes a huge debt to Sodom).

norway blue ?

You watching this?

We'll have to ascribe that to a difference in taste. In what I listen to, German bands are at the very elite, and incredibly influential upon the development of scenes in Norway, Sweden, and Poland, as a few regional examples. There's even Australian bands who played in a German rather than American style; I'll get an example.
I mean no real disrespect, good fellow mine; I am from the 'any excuse will do' school of piss-take and when it presents itself, I have no 'will to power', to quote from something the Germans are unsurpassed at.

This is an example of what I was talking about; sadly, I never got to see them live as the singer/guitarist (and band's namesake, Pete Hobbs) has passed on.

I met the drummer once, going between gigs for eyehategod at 170 Russell St (early finish) and Dark Funeral at The Corner Hotel
(late start). He actually posts on this site, but is very into progressive rock and jazz these days.

We'll go to Poland now. This is utterly elite Death Metal, they're probably the best in the world at it right now. Will be touring in a few months.

Whatever you do, don't go for the re-recording (the one with 2000 in the title). They completely ruined it. Unfortunately Behemoth don't play anything older than this live, anymore (this at least closes the set).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The previous post is Behemoth's transitional phase from Black Metal to Death Metal; they were very much a Blackened Death Metal band then.

As a purist, I do prefer the older stuff. I like to play the Sventevith and Grom albums at 3am, when it's just me and the music.

We'll go to Poland now. This is utterly elite Death Metal, they're probably the best in the world at it right now. Will be touring in a few months.

I have to say, this is magnificent. Let's be honest, if you live in Poland right now, this is anthemic.

I have to say, this is magnificent. Let's be honest, if you live in Poland right now, this is anthemic.

Poland make some of the best extreme Metal there is, utterly elite.

But, there is a fair bit of...politically dodgy bands out there, as there are in Ukraine (when Putin said he was going after Ukrainian Nazis, he would have had no idea about what was coming out of Kharkov, but I did get a reference he didn't). OTOH, Russia is actually the centre of Nazi Metal and Punk atm, anyway.

The point is, you do need to exercise some caution with music from that part of the world.

The previous post is Behemoth's transitional phase from Black Metal to Death Metal; they were very much a Blackened Death Metal band then.

As a purist, I do prefer the older stuff. I like to play the Sventevith and Grom albums at 3am, when it's just me and the music.

Noidenous would be lovin’ your work JC!

Still in Poland, this is, IMHO opinion, the most influential band in Black Metal for the last 12 years (I'm not saying the best, but they're in the conversation). Every release from them is an event.

Hey you’re doing the song thing.

Get the kids out of the room and listen to this. Got real Ben Folds ‘Bitches Ain’t Sh*t’ vibes.

These Austrians sound exactly like they just fell out of the Viper Lounge on the Sunset Strip.

Earlier in the week I mentioned a Collingwood poster here I talk music with who is actually a top bloke (tbh 30% of my mates irl are Collingwood fans). You can blame/thank him for putting me onto these guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 35, Round 1 – Baghdad Bombers v Fighting Furies @ Abdu Prison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back