Official Match Thread Season 35, Round 1 – Baghdad Bombers v Fighting Furies @ Abdu Prison

Remove this Banner Ad

Once upon a time there was a band called Slayer. Their first five albums are Thrash Metal perfection. After that, it fell away.

This is the title track of album number 6, which was their last good album (until World Painted Blood, their second last album). It was half killer, half filler.

This is killer, and to me is in their top 10 (the band stopped playing it years before retirement, so clearly don't agree with me).

The album was terrible, at this stage they were coasting on past glories (but they were still epic live).

This song, however, is one of their greatest accomplishments.

Going to indulge myself with a brief aural retrospective of Death, who first defined Brutal Death Metal yet weren’t willing to be bound by the strictures of the genre.

This is from 'Scream, Bloody Gore'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Death's final album was 'The Sound of Perseverance'. At this stage Chuck Schuldiner was fighting the brain tumour that ended up taking his life, which may have been behind the radical change in vocal style. I said a few posts ago that I rate 'Leprosy' as the greatest pure Death Metal album. That's only because TSOP transcends genre boundaries and stands alone. This is Chuck Schuldiner's finest hour.

Prior to his passing, and actually to recording TSOP, Chuck wanted to explore the technical, progressive music he was making on the last few Death albums, in a way that broke beyond the boundaries he felt Death Metal imposed.

Control Denied was recorded with his musicians, but the singer from Pharaoh; if he'd lived, this is where Chuck's career would've gone.

If anyone is curious, the drummer on the final Death album, Richard Christie, was a total fanboy. He felt the need to impress Chuck, so made sure that every single beat counted. That's why he played so hard and so technical.

Second Wave Black Metal from Japan. They signed to Deathlike Silence Productions, the label ran by Euronymus (guitarist for Mayhem, later murdered by Varg Vikernes who was at that time their bassist). To go back to an earlier point, the label was named after a track from Sodom's debut full length, 'Obsessed by Cruelty'.

A tribute to our opponents this week:

And I write out a list
Of all the people
That won't be missed
You've made my shitlist

A tribute to our opponents this week:

And I write out a list
Of all the people
That won't be missed
You've made my shitlist

I prefer this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 35, Round 1 – Baghdad Bombers v Fighting Furies @ Abdu Prison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back