AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t cheered, clapped, got excited or angry at a passage of play in about six weeks. I watch Essendon games with emptiness and devoid of emotion nowadays. I love this club, I will always love this club, but I just don’t care right now.
Id imagine its how EVERY Essendon fan feels.
Yeah we were second on the ladder.
Yeah you knew deep down
"not very deep down" we were pseudo top 4.
But maybe just maybe we could...
Bradbury the rest of the season

Sydney had 7 more turnovers than us tonight. The problem isn't the mistakes. Everyone makes them, the problem is the lack of getting value from our play.
I think there is a problem with McGrath scrubbing kicks off his shin; McKay handballing it to the opposition; or Laverde dropping a chest mark...

Glad I decided to skip this and watch a movie instead.

Result went as expected.

Was Weird and Lav worth not giving Hayes a go?
Weid had a decent game until junk time. Lav was good in the first half but shocking after HT

Anyone else at give up point - be it with the team, the club, or the sport in general?

I’ve thought I’ve been there for a while - but I watch these games with no emotion. Theres just no enjoyment to be had.

We either don’t show up at all (see St Kilda game) or we do genuinely try but just our style, skills, ability looks embarrassing, and teams when they want to try just laugh at us.

Theres only so long you can give as a supporter. To those that say “You’re not a true fan if that’s your belief” id ease up. We have been incredibly loyal. I’d argue more loyal than anyone else. But there’s a limit. Theres more important things in life.

Not at give up but I’m not giving anymore money to the club for now.

Only way I feel slightly better about this dog shit place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is hard to play fast footy and run in front of the footy if you can not perform the most basic handball skills.
Makes it impossible to defend.
Then we have the issue of sides that switch over be way and the switch back and all our blokes have just tracked the footy and left players loose on the fat side.

Anyone see Zach absolutely berate parish when he left a gaping hole for heeney to lead into in the third?
Yes .
It was back to pumpkin head Parish.

First half good. Second half bad.

Overall we need to be able to arrest momentum. Lock down the stoppage. Take the sting out of the momentum. Repeat stoppages.
First half was not good
They simply cannot convert and Sydney were in second gear.
First half opposition did not make us pay.
Connection into forward 50 is embarrassing

I’m for trading Langford and parish.

If we don’t trade Langford could we potentially flip leverde and Langfords positions.

We can’t have leverde Kelly McKay and redman all in the back half together. They just chip it sideways or bomb it long

How pathetic was Hepps “farewell to the fans” ? What a ****ing joke. He went from having half of Leongatha for his 200, to a quick thumbs up tonight.
Embarrassing.
And in the background all the electronic advertising had 10% off at the Bomber shop flashing.

I just worked out the dons problems.
If you have no game plan its easy to get into your performing top gear.
(1st gear is our top gear) Out of the blocks early sneak a few wins here and there when teams are working their way into the season. But when half-decent coaching, irons-out glitches in any type of strategy, BANG we look like some debut boxer mildly swinging arms in a windmill against Muhammad Ali.

Hawkins & LeCras could come out of retirement every year till their pensioners and kick 10 on us.

Last edited:
Sydney had 7 more turnovers than us tonight. The problem isn't the mistakes. Everyone makes them, the problem is the lack of getting value from our play.
I also think they're incapable of defending once they turn it over. It's as good as done once they turn it over because they're out of position, they don't chase, and they often lack the skill to compete one on one.

I think we win less games in our next 3 seasons than we have in our last 3, doesn't look very bright
I am not sure about that.
This preseason will be fascinating.
The first thing I noticed is how much goodwill the club has lost with its fans.
The attendance was terrible.
The club did a pathetic pr job around Dyson.
The head of media should be released.
The fans were frustrated and angry as the game wore on.

My observations for what they are worth.
You cannot have laverde, McGrath,weideman, McKay and Kelly in the backline as none of them hurt you by foot and lack penetration.
Darcy parish is a selfish footballer who has no care for defence.
He is an Adrian dodoro gift that will keep giving for 5 more years.
Only hope is a Geelong take him but Bailey smith is their obvious target.
Zac merrett is a b grade footballer. He lacks the size and prescience to break tags and was not running as hard as he should. He was also spraying a few team mates.
Ben Hobbs struggles to cover the ground, is one paced and goes to ground too easily.
Archie perkins has no work ethic, also one paced and shies away from physical contact.
Stringer and Langford are not big enough.
Harry jones is a dumb footballer. Runs a lot to the wrong places.
I will be staggered in Sam Durham is fit. He looked beaten up.
Nate caddy has an abundance of talent but just needs forward craft.

There was some good tonight.
Nick Bryan will be ok. He is not fit and was fatiguing but he should be a good afl ruckman.
I thought jade gresham worked hard tonight and does a lot of unrewarded running. His kicking is a concern.
Dylan sheil worked harder than I have seen him live in a long time.
Archie Robert’s will be pretty good. His lack of strength found him out a few times but he can play.
Caldwell is a bull but poor coaching exposed him defensively.
Draper is essendons only exciting player.
Nic Martin has the ability to finish but geez he lacks physicality.

I thought our coaching was disappointing tonight.
No rabbits out of the hat.
The players tried hard but a slow boring game style with a lack of genuine talent hurts us.

I think we are better than last year.
We need to nail this draft.
I honestly think two fast smalls is the way to go.

If there is any hope for Harley Reid through the farm at him.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back