Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

We shouldn't tank. You cant deliberately tank and turn that culture around. But I think we we should look at who in our squad has some trade value and who is non-essential in 2-3 years time. Sloane is gone. We need to trade Lynch too. Is it too late to trade JJ to Brisbane for example.

How far is too far? Do we even look at trading one of our best players to have a crack at Lukosious. Would Matt Crouch or Daniel Talia get us Lukosious?

I know it sounds ridiculous. But is there really any point going through a rebuild half arsed? Its pretty clear that this group isnt going to win it, so should we just give as much as we can to the next group.
Essentially it’s not tanking... it’s more that we are just playing all our youth, getting all our stars injury free and ready for next year and seeing who’s worth keeping and who needs to go..

Let's just find out some answers about players once and for all.

Dear, O'Brien, himmelberg, Hampton, etc.

If we've atleast tried and it didn't work, then we're working on facts and I'm sure those players cut would appreciate that we actually made an informed decision based on performance.

If we're lucky, we could actually find a player.

Change up the structure and look at alternate strategies, again if we're lucky we might find something that would be worth persisting, excepr we've learnt this in a real game scenario.

Get all the assistants to swap roles and give them freedom and a few games to try their ideas. Perhaps even give aspiring assistants a shot.

The amount of things we could learn would be invaluable.

This is a massive opportunity for the future, but I see people realistically hanging on to the now.

This administration would rather see us scrape into a meaningless 9th than learn all those important things about our side and coaches.

Every administration we have ever had is the same. Too scared to fall off a bit. If he actually have some balls, we could use this disgusting pile of cr@p to our advantage.

Sounds good, but it ain’t happening, there will be no backing off.
I don’t think it matters really... look at the draw remaining...

Freo (a)
Hawks (a)
WC (h)
Tigers (a)
Cats (h)
Lions (a)
Dees (h)
Power (h)
Giants (a)
North (h)
Carlton (a)

Tell me which ones you would pencil in right now as wins.. I reacon brissy and Carlton are certainties.. although brissy in brissy...

87bc858ce7bdf3e2ae87b45d3bf06964.jpg

Essentially it’s not tanking... it’s more that we are just playing all our youth, getting all our stars injury free and ready for next year and seeing who’s worth keeping and who needs to go..

I would argue that if we wanted to tank we would continue to play our aging, injured or cooked players. For example, tanking = continue to play Sauce over ROB. But yeah, Gallucci, Murphy and Fogarty need to play all of the remaining games. Milera must play half back flank. Gibson and Mackay back to the SANFL. Gibson delist. Not up to the shutdown role, gives us nothing.

You don't tank, that is deliberately trying to make results happen to drop you on the ladder.
I know some might not mean it in the true way of tanking but some no doubt do.

You cotton wool players who need it, find out who you keep or move on, experiment etc.
If you lose more games than you otherwise would have by doing that, great, better draft pick.

We are in big trouble in 2018, standing right on the cliff of needing to decide to do these things to prepare for next year and the future.
The health of our list being the main reason.

But we know it won't happen and we will play for 8th/10th/whatever spot all year, have players get surgery done late, make decisions after resting players in the off season that they now need surgery, mess up their next pre-season etc.

I don’t think it matters really... look at the draw remaining...

Freo (a)
Hawks (a)
WC (h)
Tigers (a)
Cats (h)
Lions (a)
Dees (h)
Power (h)
Giants (a)
North (h)
Carlton (a)

Tell me which ones you would pencil in right now as wins.. I reacon brissy and Carlton are certainties.. although brissy in brissy...
Haha shit, brilliant.

For those of you that had some hope that we had a chance still, tonight should have quashed that faint hope.

Once you come to that realisation it does have some benefits, it takes the stress out of it and you can think about what’s best for the club.

We could easily lose our next 4 games, which includes Freo and Hawks away, whilst we are still depleted. Then we play West Coast and Richmond away. We still have though games against Melbourne, GWS, North, Geelong and some others.

Some of you might not like it, but for us it means missing the 8 and finishing as low as we can.

Our main competitors have all benefited from low picks, our only one is Gibbs and he’s a ring in. This strategy has failed us for 20 years. And yes we made last year’s GF, but we lost and Martin killed us.

This is a super draft, we have to bring in quality talent and that must include a low pick below Port to have any hope to get a slider.

If Sloane does go, that’s 2 low picks.

Without elite talent we will continue to fall short.

This also means smart decisions need to be made.

Jacobs needs to be rested and we have to see what ROB can do with some games, quite frankly it can’t be worse than what Jacobs is offering.

Mackay? Piss off and Milera plays off half back.

Galluci plays, even if he stinks he plays.

Tex comes back, Fog stays, Jenkins pisses off.

Anyone who won’t be here next year doesn’t play, that includes Lynch if he’s going.

We won’t do it, but that’s what we should do.

Either way, we are going to fail, accept it and relax.

Nothing in this post requires correcting.

Tex and Sloane will need a couple of games to settle as well, we can win a few in row late but should be about curtains by then.

Despite tanking, if at the very least you roll the dice on the younger, inexperienced players, because we learn nothing otherwise.

The AFC board should start looking at back office restructures too, they are incredibly complacent at West Lakes and this farce of a season will cost memberships from an aging fanbase. It’s very telling of club culture when its performance suffers more from losing a GF than not making one at all.

I heard Fagan not so long ago say something about this club is not one that can afford to drop down the ladder, have poor seasons, drop off.. so they have to be creative, stay around the mark etc.
So you know what aint happening.

I'm not sure (apart from obviously no one wants to be shit) why this club in particular can't afford to do that, but anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard he isnt looking at any offers yet from the club. I even heard that the club expects or knows he is going.
It’s what we all expected so doesn’t come as a surprise. That being the case, the club has to ensure we use the rest of the year to get players right physically, games in to younger players and bank picks 7 & 8.

If we finish 12th we let Sloane go
As long as his price doesn't drop below Band 1 compo then it's a must.

Best thing for us is to get him absolutely cherry ripe, even with a mini pre season, to have a crack in the last 6 rounds of the season and hopefully play out of his skin to show potential suitors that he is still worth a big contract.

Once we get players like Walker, McGovern, etc back we might sneak into the 8, possibly make a semi final. But yeah, going to have to go 10-1 the rest of the season to get 2nd 3rd or 4th and that is impossible because the 3 games after the bye are almost certain losses, esp Eagles at their home away from home and Tigers at the G. I say just play out the season and give some of the younger players (Fogatry, Gallucci, Dooday, Milera Jr, bring in Ben Jarman) more games. Might have been different if we did not drop 3 winnable games this season.

I heard Fagan not so long ago say something about this club is not one that can afford to drop down the ladder, have poor seasons, drop off.. so they have to be creative, stay around the mark etc.

I'm not sure (apart from obviously no one wants to be shit) why this club in particular can't afford to do that, but anyway.
Thanks to our fitness staff and a tough run home, they may not have a say.

We have a huge, extremely loyal fan base...of course we can tolerate a bad finish this year.

A successful draft haul would see a resurgence of belief in the fan base that would carry us into 2019 anyway.

Stop with the mediocrity Fages, buy in some decent staff and give it a proper crack next year.

The club will once again do the exact opposite of what a club in this position should do.

The club should pump games into Gallucci, Fogarty, Poholke, Murphy, McPherson (when fit), O'Brien and more. Injured players should take their time in recovery. This will likely cost the club finals.

What they will do is shaft Gallucci, Fogarty and others as soon as possible, instead giving games to Otten, Gibson, Mackay, Jacobs, Hampton and Cheney. They will rush players back from injury. We'll grind our way to 8th and lose first week of finals. That'll give us a double digit pick and no success.

Last edited:
For those of you that had some hope that we had a chance still, tonight should have quashed that faint hope.

Once you come to that realisation it does have some benefits, it takes the stress out of it and you can think about what’s best for the club.

We could easily lose our next 4 games, which includes Freo and Hawks away, whilst we are still depleted. Then we play West Coast and Richmond away. We still have though games against Melbourne, GWS, North, Geelong and some others.

Some of you might not like it, but for us it means missing the 8 and finishing as low as we can.

Our main competitors have all benefited from low picks, our only one is Gibbs and he’s a ring in. This strategy has failed us for 20 years. And yes we made last year’s GF, but we lost and Martin killed us.

This is a super draft, we have to bring in quality talent and that must include a low pick below Port to have any hope to get a slider.

If Sloane does go, that’s 2 low picks.

Without elite talent we will continue to fall short.

This also means smart decisions need to be made.

Jacobs needs to be rested and we have to see what ROB can do with some games, quite frankly it can’t be worse than what Jacobs is offering.

Mackay? Piss off and Milera plays off half back.

Galluci plays, even if he stinks he plays.

Tex comes back, Fog stays, Jenkins pisses off.

Anyone who won’t be here next year doesn’t play, that includes Lynch if he’s going.

We won’t do it, but that’s what we should do.

Either way, we are going to fail, accept it and relax.
Massive error not playing Milera off half back to accommodate Mackay in side - awful decision

Having said that trading out Charlie Cameron without trading in a direct replacement just as bad a decision because has created a domino effect

We shouldn't tank. You cant deliberately tank and turn that culture around. ...
... Could not be a better time in our entire history to do it with so many SA youngsters likely to feature high in the draft.
Sounds good, but it ain’t happening, there will be no backing off.
I've said before that it's like the fates lining things up for Crows to draft some good SA talent - maybe as far as taking things out of the Club's hands with all the injuries we've copped as the Club's policy seems to be to never give up getting as high up the table as possible.

I would argue that if we wanted to tank we would continue to play our aging, injured or cooked players. For example, tanking = continue to play Sauce over ROB. But yeah, Gallucci, Murphy and Fogarty need to play all of the remaining games. Milera must play half back flank. Gibson and Mackay back to the SANFL. Gibson delist. Not up to the shutdown role, gives us nothing.
Crikey, you might have just blown the Club's cover!

Just play Gallucci, Fogarty, Milera, Doedee, Murphy for the rest of the year.
There's no point playing Smith,B.Crouch, Sloane or Gov next season. I rather keep them and get them for next season.
So we play our best 22 in the SANFL and the remaining AFL list in the AFL? This ought to really piss off the SANFL - can we still win the SANFL premiership? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back