Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

We lost a GF because our senior players shat the bed, none of that is Hamishs fault.

He has done a remarkable job with what he's been given, considering we are a club adverse to bottoming out.

If they weren’t the right players for the job and should have been replaced then yes he didn’t provide replacements that’s his job

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they weren’t the right players for the job and should have been replaced then yes he didn’t provide replacements that’s his job

Youre kidding ?? It was his fault Gov and Smith went down injured, it was his fault the selectors were stupid enough to pick Otten, it was his fault we didnt have a fit player on the bench midway through the 2nd quarter.

This place was better when you werent here.

But you are a babbling, incoherent mess in your increasingly bizarre thoughts particularly when you post “late at night”

Waiting for you to chime in with your non-value added comments, surprised it took so long.
do you have anything value added?

Also, have been avoiding late night chats, Have changed my medication less aggressive. no flashbacks. able to sleep.

I like Pyke as a coach, but how sad is it to look at this squad and think what it could have achieved with Walsh.
Like everyone, I was horrified by Walsh's death. I've never known an incident or year like it. It's sad beyond sadness, but cannot be changed.
At the time we were sitting 7th, 7 - 5, 109%, hardly tearing it up. We will never know what would've happened after that. We did well to finish 7th on the back of four wins from Rounds 19-22 which included a really good win against WCE at home (57 points, they were second, we were 8th).
We're in a similar position now (might well be 7-5 after next round) but people are howling, even though we've been decimated by injuries. Part of the widespread unhappiness has to do with getting to, then losing the 2017 GF.
Most of us had big expectations for 2018-2019, that we'd at least replicate 2017 form and go one better. Those expectations have been torn, just like those hammies.
However, it was Pyke who coached us to the PF in 2016 and the GF last year. Pyke's actual results are being compared unfairly to Walsh's potential results.
Pyke's not responsible for the spate of hamstring injuries. That falls squarely on Burton's and Hass' shoulders. If they had any self-respect they'd admit their failures and resign. Certainly the way Pyke's tenure will be judged is affected by this year's results and he will suffer (rightly or wrongly) for Burton's and Hass' mistakes.
Selection-wise, however, the buck stops with Pyke --- full responsibility --- and many of us are finding unfathomable his reluctance to drop Mackay or Atkins or anybody else for poor form. I just don't know why he's so inflexible.

Agree again.
That should have included Dangerfield. I don't care that he played well enough to be CC. He got that Brownlow on the back of his years at the Crows and was always going to win at least one. The club should have told him to re-sign or play a year in the SANFL. Dangerfield can play The Family Card all he wants --- his #1 priority is himself.
Same, Lynch, and yes, even Sloane. Re-sign, or piss off. I've loved the ways Sloane's played for us, but he had little impact for us last year and his injury this year has devalued him on the market. You want to go? OK, we're going to reward players who'll be with us next year and the year after.

Agree with this. We've tried the softly, softly approach with non-SA born players and it hasn't worked. If they haven't re-signed by round 14 they go into the reserves. It may upset the player but stiff shift it would send a strong message to the rest of the playing group. I'm sure Levers teammates would have been happy for us to drop him and not gift him a GF. Give a player who is loyal to the club an opportunity instead - i.e. Doedee.

We have nailed so many picks have the best list and it’s just unlucky we can’t win a flag

Yup there it is. Shall I get the goalpost moving gif out again?

Name me one high end pick Ogilive has stuffed up? There is literally just one pick under 40 which has bombed, and that was a token select the best south australian pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great, Marty is back with his "hoc ergo propter hoc" arguments.

tenor.gif

Do you see a premiership trophy in the cabinet

Stop making irrelevant excuses you pick 42 players as every team cops injuries with enough depth to carry you through

He hasn’t done his job and we look crap for the next 5

If you were late for an appointment because your car ran out of fuel, you would blame the car manufacturer even though you are incapable of reading the warning lights...

We know you like to continually blame the one guy who is actually doing a top job compared to his counterparts, yet haven't mentioned anything about who has really derailed our season.

You are either incredibly thick or a troll.

With the players he missed out on losing two years of first rd picks? They would have been the age profile to replace the senior players you defended during the year. Remember it was you that kept backing them in and saying you can’t replace a winning team, one of those was Otten who failed badly in the GF.

Who said anything about sending them out there to lose??...
Not sure what he meant, myself, other than to say many people have been talking in here about 'tanking'. I take 'tanking' to mean, well, not playing to lose (against the rules) but selecting/playing with the probable result of not-winning *wink wink*. As if there's a real difference. :drunk:
Some coaches have been more imaginative than others in that respect eg by "resting" players, or playing others out of position.
I don't recommend or condone tanking and I'm not sure if you did either.
Fwiw, I think this is spot on:
Tell every bloke that pulls on the jumper their position in the squad is on the line and to play their guts out.. let’s see who’s worth keeping and who’s trade bait/delist material. We’re sending them out there to see what we have to play with next year win, lose or draw.
:thumbsu:

Have we got a team that is capable of winning a flag.
YES OR NO?
The question makes no sense. Repeating it doesn't help. It's not as cut-and-dried as "YES OR NO".
Our best-22 is capable of winning a Flag, which is true of maybe 6 sides every year, but so what?
Best anyone could say is "I hope so", although if you looked at Sunday's side, and the Sunday before that, you'd probably say "I seriously doubt it".
Although --- did you pick the Bulldogs after round 11, 2016? Richmond, last year? ;)
Too much can happen week-to-week to be definite.

Can you expand on that, please?
ALL clubs are player-reliant. A coach can have the best structures, ideas for roles etc, but if the players are crap ... o_O

Not only that, but KPFs have been used to straighten up a side since the inception of the sport.

The issue may be that we're carrying two pseudo KPFs in Jenkins and Lynch.

Do you see a premiership trophy in the cabinet

Stop making irrelevant excuses you pick 42 players as every team cops injuries with enough depth to carry you through

He hasn’t done his job and we look crap for the next 5

You're actually serious aren't you.

17 fit players halfway through the 2nd quarter, at which point we were still a goal up. I fail to see how injuries are Hamishs fault.

We are 6-5 with most of the top 10 of our BnF out, and we have 1 top 10 pick on our list...... that we traded from another club.

Are you still getting over the fact the guy we picked over Burton is having a MUCH better year??

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back