Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that losing to GWS would mean that our season was over. The return of Phil Davis and Kelly (2nd match back) made a huge difference to them and although they arguably had three of their top ten players out (Scully, Williams and Greene) they had a heap of talent on the field. Two number one picks (Patton, Whitfield), three number two picks (Coniglio, Kelly, Taranto), a number three (Griffin) plus Cameron and Shiel who were part of their pre-draft selections. All up, 15 first round draft picks.

This week we may have up to six of our best ten players missing (Sloane, Laird, Walker, Smith, Lynch and Brouch) plus McGovern, Knight and possibly Douglas who are all in our best 22 IMHO. Then there are the players returning from injury (MCrouch, Brown, Seedsman, Milera and Gibson). We would normally be no chance playing in Perth but Freo also may have some key players missing (Fyfe, 2 X Hills, Sandilands, Alex Pearce). If (and it is a big if) we can limp over the line then our season remains on life support with the hope that we will have most of our players back after the bye.

History says that teams struggling with injuries half way through the season usually find that things only get worse and tend to fall off the cliff. Perhaps we can defy history this year :rolleyes:.

History says that teams struggling with injuries half way through the season usually find that things only get worse and tend to fall off the cliff. Perhaps we can defy history this year :rolleyes:.

It's going to take a mighty U-turn at this point. ;)

Against a team that should have had us on the rack at half-time, 21 years ago.
Not sure, but you might be thinking of the 1998 GF, when NM came out on fire and beat us everywhere convincingly except on the scoreboard. Half-time scores NM 6.15 to Crows 4.3, bloody 21 scoring shots to 7!! NM adrenalin must have worn off after half time; we kicked 11.12 to 2.7 after half time. Was crazy.
1997 half-time scores were Saints 7.11 Crows 5.10

Different teams / oppo / coaches, not to mention 21 years ago.

It was you who said we were lucky with injuries last year. Clearly, we were not.
The injuries to Modra and Roo were not lucky, either.

Through the entire year I think we used the least players of any team, Smith was a loss and Gov so so he was relatively inconsistent we didn’t lose Talia laird lynch tex Sloane Crouch Betts or Jacobs when it counted and they would have been a bigger loss

You generally have three players that your team needs none of those were missing the rest need to be covered by the list that should be assembled to do so if you are saying gov was irreplaceable we definetly weren’t ready to win a flag

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure, but you might be thinking of the 1998 GF, when NM came out on fire and beat us everywhere convincingly except on the scoreboard. Half-time scores NM 6.15 to Crows 4.3, bloody 21 scoring shots to 7!! NM adrenalin must have worn off after half time; we kicked 11.12 to 2.7 after half time. Was crazy.
1997 half-time scores were Saints 7.11 Crows 5.10
97 we got owned in the 2nd quarter but the Saints couldn't put it on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith was a loss and Gov so so he was relatively inconsistent
I repeat, Gov was in good form when he was injured and would've been a welcome addition to our GF side.
so if you are saying gov was irreplaceable we definetly weren’t ready to win a flag
No, not at all. I'm saying that Gov's replacement was a lesser player, or he would've been in the side all ready.

Sometimes it's not about the number of injuries, but the timing. The Betts/Sloane appendectomies and the Smith/Gov injuries unsettled the side. Betts' gangrenous appendix in particular was a severe case. It might have been enough to put them 5% off their best which is enough in a GF to affect negatively how they played.
Ironically, the Crows played two of their best games to get to the GF. I'm still mystified by their lack of intensity in the GF.
Mr. Hyde got them there, then nice-guy Dr. Jekyll showed up.

I repeat, Gov was in good form when he was injured and would've been a welcome addition to our GF side.

No, not at all. I'm saying that Gov's replacement was a lesser player, or he would've been in the side all ready.

Sometimes it's not about the number of injuries, but the timing. The Betts/Sloane appendectomies and the Smith/Gov injuries unsettled the side. Betts' gangrenous appendix in particular was a severe case. It might have been enough to put them 5% off their best which is enough in a GF to affect negatively how they played.
Ironically, the Crows played two of their best games to get to the GF. I'm still mystified by their lack of intensity in the GF.
Mr. Hyde got them there, then nice-guy Dr. Jekyll showed up.
Gov is the kind of X factor that you need in a GF - I said all along our forward line was overrated , not enough guys that win contests and only functions when we are getting the sort of ball movement you don't get in grand finals . Gov was a massive loss , one of the more important players we couldn't afford to lose

Sometimes Marty just looks at stats

Now I know they had some superstars, all time greats and the best coach of the modern era with them, but Hawthorn missed the finals after a flag in 2008.

1 - How did that happen ?? Was it simply a massive hangover or were the losses of Croad and Crawf that big ??

and more importantly

2 - What did they do to fix it ??

That right there should be what we are looking at.

Now I know they had some superstars, all time greats and the best coach of the modern era with them, but Hawthorn missed the finals after a flag in 2008.

1 - How did that happen ?? Was it simply a massive hangover or were the losses of Croad and Crawf that big ??

and more importantly

2 - What did they do to fix it ??

That right there should be what we are looking at.

how many players want to come here that aren't South Australian (surprise surprise) or are demanding big bucks that don't fit in our cap

Probably explains why SA players are such a gold nuggets to the list if they are any good they are cheaper and dont even consider leaving in majority of circumstances unless offered a godfather offer

how many players want to come here that aren't South Australian (surprise surprise) or are demanding big bucks that don't fit in our cap

Probably explains why SA players are such a gold nuggets to the list if they are any good they are cheaper and dont even consider leaving in majority of circumstances unless offered a godfather offer
You need to get over the SA bias

The bias Is obviously there for a reason

It gives us a greater chance at a premiership history tells us that not someones opinion
How many SA players did Hawthorn have in their good years, and Geelong, and West Coast..........

SA hasn't produced an out and out gun since Adam Cooney, and we weren't in the ball park to get him

How many SA players did Hawthorn have in their good years, and Geelong, and West Coast..........

SA hasn't produced an out and out gun since Adam Cooney, and we weren't in the ball park to get him

hahahahaha are you for real

Picking SA lads will ensure cap room is available for a better list where the go home factor is taken out of the picture infact players will actually stay for less

I wasn't saying SA players are better

if you have a number of SA players in general terms you will retain them for less due to the fact they have family and friends here, its not in all instances but clearly in the majority of instances

the whole reason we lost Danger, Gunston, Lever , CC is that factor and got Gibbs its pretty bloody obvious

Through the entire year I think we used the least players of any team, Smith was a loss and Gov so so he was relatively inconsistent we didn’t lose Talia laird lynch tex Sloane Crouch Betts or Jacobs when it counted and they would have been a bigger loss

You generally have three players that your team needs none of those were missing the rest need to be covered by the list that should be assembled to do so if you are saying gov was irreplaceable we definetly weren’t ready to win a flag

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This year we've used less players than most other sides yet we have the worst injury list in the AFL.

Are you really still going on with this theory about our list?

You don't finish on top of the ladder with a percentage that is 20% better than any other team in the top four if your list isn't good enough to win a premiership.

This year we've used less players than most other sides yet we have the worst injury list in the AFL.

Are you really still going on with this theory about our list?

You don't finish on top of the ladder with a percentage that is 20% better than any other team in the top four if your list isn't good enough to win a premiership.

If you're using any type of logic to converse with Marty you will fail miserably.

You need to communicate in "Imbecile" to even have half a chance..........good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Season Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back