Preview Semi Final: Hawks vs Sydney Swans, Teams and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hawks vs Someone (Next Final)

Look our midfield were down last night from players who we all know can turn it on in finals.

Rioli probably played his worst game I have ever seen, just seemed disinterested and his mind was else where. But he is a super star and he will be alright next week.

And clarko had a rare bad week in the coaching box/boundary.

Savage has to come in- brings some serious speed and if buddy isn't playing we need him to kick some goals.

Ellis/Bruce- I'd prefer Ellis because in a struggle when the game is close this kid never fails to step up

Osborne- gets a reprive did absolutely nothing last night, but with buddy missing probably has to play.

Schoenmakers- I reckon both Sydney and St Kilda's forward suit his game

Schoey needs these matches. He needs to see where he goes wayyyy wrong.

He runs under the ball, can't mark and butchers the ball. He did take a pack contested mark that wasn't paid, and I was happy with that.

He needs another year, but the Zac Dawson similarities are staggering.

sure are a lot of glass half-empty peeps in this thread, the season is not gone, we have at least one game left.

I'd move Shoe to FF. Stratton in at the back, and Lewis will probably get rubbed out by the match review penises.

My glass is half full - of beer :)

sure are a lot of glass half-empty peeps in this thread, the season is not gone, we have at least one game left.

I'd move Shoe to FF. Stratton in at the back, and Lewis will probably get rubbed out by the match review penises.

My glass is half full - of beer :)

Lewis will be fine.

Bateman out Savage In

Osbourne lucky to stay in because of Buddy

Lisle in for Buddy

Stratton in for someone. I would like schoey to keep his spot though

I would like to see Ellis brought back into the side. I think the game may have caught up to Changa, do you guys expect to see him to retire at seasons end? Not keen on dropping Shoenmakers, wouldn't do much for his confidence...even though Lisle wen't okay in defence mid season, I cant see him taking Shoey's spot and Shoey going to CHF, both are inexperienced and who is to say that Lisle isn't going to get murdered in the exact same fashion next fri. Bringing Lisle in gives us the option of a switch (an option we didn't have last night) if Shoey does find himself pressure cooking again. Would also love to see Hodge playing at CHF. Though we probably need him on the ball I think that he is under utilized as a forward. I remember him kicking 6 against the dogs a couple of years back.

Here are the changes I would like to see this week,

OUT:
Buddy, Bateman,

IN:
Lisle, Ellis/Bruce

Lineup: key players in bold based on last nights efforts

FB: Murpy, Gibson, Guerra
HB: Birchall, Schoenmakers, Burgoyne
C: Smith, Mitchell, Suckling
HF: Puopolo, Hodge, Whitecross
FF: Bruest, Lisle, Rioli
R: Bailey, Sewell, Shiels
INT: Lewis, Ellis, Hale
SUB: Osborne

We are Hawthorn. We do not limp off quietly into the night. A wounded predator is a dangerous predator. Check out what happens in the Collingwood game today to see what I mean.

Lots of calls for Stratts to play CHB this week, I see... Bite your tongue, Agent Smith, bite your tongue.

Out: Buddy, Bateman, Suckling.

In: Lisle, Stratton, Savage.

Suckling is tough call but he was nowhere when the game was in the balance and hasn't done much in the last month. On that, he unfortunately misses out.

I hope they don't drop Shoey. The 20yr old got completely outplayed, but damn he kept throwing himself into it (which is more than we can say about some more exp team members) If he is dropped, IMO it would be a death knell blow to his confidence which would be very battered right now. He has also held his own against both sides in the earlier games this year IIRC.

I hope the young guys got their nerves out last night, and Izzy gets some coaching on how to pace himself this week.

I hope our stars, esp. midfield, got a good wake up call this week and step forward in a big way next week. Including Rioli.

I think Johnson would be an interesting addition for Bailey.

I think we can make a really decent showing next week, even without Buddy, if people step up, which they have done most of the year.

There's a lot of I hopes there, but while I am no expert in any way shape or form, I do have faith in my team to step it back up. They have been doing it all year.

Edit: Sorry that was a bit of a ramble, but hopefully my points are in there somewhere. ;)

Out: Buddy, Bateman, Suckling.

In: Lisle, Stratton, Savage.

Suckling is tough call but he was nowhere when the game was in the balance and hasn't done much in the last month. On that, he unfortunately misses out.

I'd like to see Suckling move up the ground to the wing or half forward. I think hes been a bit flirty with his kicks around the backline lately, last night he put someone seriously under the pump and they were lucky they got a free. Would like to see him launching passes into the F50

Also forgot to add, the only drop I am 100% on is Bateman, as much as I love the dude, I haven't seen him play an 'on' game all year. And was nowhere last night.

Last edit (I'm a bit out of it today): If Lisle comes in, have to add my voice that I would prefer him at the back end of the field than forward...

A few looked out of their depth last night, we cannot win the Premiership this year with them in the team, sorry and they must be dropped - Shoenmakers, Bateman and Osborne.

I still have faith though. No doubt we have the talent, at one stage we had 6-7 more scoring shots than Geelong it must be a positive. We only lost by 30 points and so many senior players were well below their usual output. The decision making was just mindboggling. Hodgey's pass in the 3rd? We'll be back next week no doubt :thumbsu: Here's hoping we get another crack at them in 3 weeks time! WE CAN BEAT GEELONG NO DOUBT!!!

Stratton>Shoenmakers (Shoe is simply out of his depth, Stratts MUST play)
Bateman>Bruce/Ellis/Savage (Staggered Changa was picked, he is finished)
Osborne>Bruce/Ellis/Savage (Ozzie just doesn't impact the game)

What I'd like to see :

B: Guerra Gibson Murphy
HB: Burgoyne Stratton Birchall
C: Smith Mitchell Lewis
HF: Whitecross Hale Rioli
F: Puopolo Franklin/Lisle Bruest

R: Bailey Hodge Sewell
I: Shiels Suckling Ellis SUB:Bruce/Savage

Our form over the last few weeks has been ordinary. I was very optimistic prior to the game but in hindsight we came in with some worrying signs. Just getting over the line against GC and the Cats smashed the Pies.

Regardless of which personnel takes the field next Friday night, we are 1 win away from finding the belief and form to take us to the prelim. The great thing is that our destiny is in our hands now. We only have ourselves to blame if we lose again next week.

I'd like to see Suckling move up the ground to the wing or half forward. I think hes been a bit flirty with his kicks around the backline lately, last night he put someone seriously under the pump and they were lucky they got a free. Would like to see him launching passes into the F50
Was on the wing most of last night from my observations, but i may have been blinded by the avalanche of abuse spit spewing from my mouth for large portions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many things for the selection panel to think about for next week after there were so many passengers. I was really disappointed with our stars, but Rioli in particular. I love the guy, but he has a long way to be considered a superstar (which many people believe he is). He will probably cop a hard tag next week and he needs to respond with a 4 quarter effort.

Our tackling was pathetic. I don't know how many times I thought we had a player wrapped up to see him burst through. Even the Cats younger players were brushing off our "tackles" and getting into space with inpunity. We will not win if this doesn't improve.

Regarding the changes, I think we definitely need Stratton in for Murphy next week. I think Murphy has improved a lot, but he got absolutely carved by Johnson and it was only poor kicking for goal that made Murphy's game look better than it was.

Bateman has been a great servant of the club, but he was absolutely appalling. He barely touched the ball and must be replaced by either Savage. I know his form hasn't been great, but he one of the few guys we have that can run with Montagna.

Lisle must come in and play on Kosi/resting ruckman with Shoe going forward (even if Buddy plays). Our forward line was non existant, other than Buddy, and we need someone who can be a decent target.

I have loved Bruest's work this season but in the high pressure games he has been well held. I think Cheney should come in to add some hardness and also free up Puopolo to play midfield/forward.

Other than that we need a huge lift from Rioli, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Hale, Osborne and Guerra who were all below their best and a better game plan. You cannot stuff around with the ball in high pressure games. Geelong shut down our switch and we continually kicked down the line to a contest which is not our strength. We must take the game on more to allow guys like Suckling, Hodge, Smith, Burgoyne, Rioli and Mitchell the chance to get into space more consistently.

Whoever we play, it's going to be a tight contested battle so we must do better at the clearances. We have not lost 2 in a row all year so let's hit back hard and show all the people who are writing us off that we are not done yet.

Stratts BOG BHH ressies Semi today.
As you would expect. Needs to be recalled.

Shoey to CHF
Lisle FF
Stratts CHB

this....

also include

Outs: Breust (caned by Hunt last night, a good lesson for the kid but not good enough to stay in.
Bails (inj.)
Bateman

Ins: Savage, Cheney and PJ

Oh, all our stars were down last night...this won't happen again, where everyone is shizen

Stratts has to play.

Cheney is a dark horse - we know he can defend.

Savage is out of form, but can provide run - key against the Saints.

Bailey should come up. Bud's a chance. Bateman is finished.

Interesting week ahead...

Savage , Ellis , Lisle, Cheney for Shoe, Whitecross, Changa and Buddy.

Need to run the pants off the next opponent as both swans and saints will do just that plus give our mosquitoe fleet of fwds every chance of posting a winning score. If we choose to bomb and hope, our goose is cooked in the semis.

this....
Oh, all our stars were down last night...this won't happen again, where everyone is shizen

Agree

I think

B: Guerra Gibson Murphy
HB: Stratton Lisle Birchall
C: Smith Mitchell Savage
HF: Whitecross Shoey Hodge
F: Rioli Hale Bruest/oz

R: Bailey? Burgoyne Sewell
I: Lewis? Shiels Suckling Puopolo

Not sure what happens with bails or lewis, not sure who you would sub either, wouldn't be pop, maybe punky/oz and put pop up forward or savage mb?? Think we need savs run though.

Hodge didn't look 100% but tries regardless. what a man. can help up forward and rotate through the middle, needs to get out of his kicking slump (especially in front of goal) asap.

Would like to see silk get a decent crack in the middle, and bring in stratton as the 3rd man up style player off that hbf. I'm not confident at all hes ready to come in and go head to head with someone like roo etc. at a chb, would blow up in a quarter. Lisle has the height and length to get in the way enough and hopefully quell whoever he stands, not expecting him to shut anyone down, and although it appears clarko likes him up forward, he just doesnt seem confident in his kicking/doesn't appear to have that real killer instinct i think to be playing up forward just yet.

Give shoe a crack up there, we need to persist with him. I'm a fan of the kid but last night was completely horrid and he deteriorated greatly as the game went on. Confidence nil. Needs to get angry and aggressive, plays too 'nice' and also watch the bloody ball. Too busy looking to make contact and trying to think where he should be in the contest that he doesnt judge the ball drop or time his spoil attempts at all. never seen so many 'uncontested' marks in a pack of ~10 blokes.

not sure who deserves to play more out of bruest and oz, both did little last night and suckers was almost useless. guy has a weapon i'm not sure why we dont just see what buddy or cyril can do 1 on 1 before the help arrives. guess we wont find out this week...Hale needs to do something. again plays too 'nice' just bust packs or something and get the dukes up there and command that ball like you own it.

not sure what else we can do, as i know its not our gameplan to move the ball quickly and immediately through the centre, especially if bud isnt home, but we move it slowly, and if there is a turnover we still get burnt on the rebound as they beat us back.

interesting to see who gets up and whos available etc.

Schoey needs these matches. He needs to see where he goes wayyyy wrong.

He runs under the ball, can't mark and butchers the ball. He did take a pack contested mark that wasn't paid, and I was happy with that.

He needs another year, but the Zac Dawson similarities are staggering.

Agree with this 100% - same applies for all the kids.

Regardless of whether we win the Premiership or not, the experience the guys can gain from these types of games is invaluable.

There are plenty of positives still to find this season.

We beat Essendon without Buddy, we can beat St.Kilda or Sydney without him, we have a second chance and alot of good footballers who will be looking to redeem themselves - 2011 isn't over yet.

People calling for the Shoe to be moved forward are dreamin. Anyone who has played the game knows its heaps easier running in straight lines from defence,rather than playing forward and having to turn to goal.

He was all at sea last night, he is probably still having nightmares. Give Lisle a go

People calling for the Shoe to be moved forward are dreamin. Anyone who has played the game knows its heaps easier running in straight lines from defence,rather than playing forward and having to turn to goal.

He was all at sea last night, he is probably still having nightmares. Give Lisle a go

Huh..... he played his entire junior career as a forward, his form up forward was the reason why we drafted him and why he was rated in the top 20. He's at sea because his opponents are bigger stronger and he has no idea how to play the man. Let him have a go at creating space and finding the ball rather than chasing an opponent, it might actually give him some confidence having his sole focus just being on the pill.

Have a look at his highlights...he's a natural forward.

[YOUTUBE]eO8tcPSGU4k[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back