Preview Semi-Final: Hawthorn v Adelaide Crows, MCG, 18 September 2015 @ 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the Hawthorn that played Fremantle and Sydney? There is no way these performances have anything to do with confidence. We possess the most experienced finals team in the competition. If a team as experienced as ours needs confidence then I should be able to hear the chattering of knees and teeth of players in other teams from fear/nervousness. All I see is a disinterested Hawthorn who are going through the motions.

We were abysmal against a team that was missing its best midfielder, half its back line and played 3 others that were 50% fit. Hawthorn failed to beat a team that had maybe 17 players on the park. Despite some losses in other successful seasons, I think given the position and the form we had going into the Richmond and Port games, and the way we played against an injury ravaged WCE on Friday, these are some of our worst performance since 2009.

What a waste given, except for WCE, the other teams in the 8 are such average sides this year. If you had asked me in which of the last three years Hawthorn had the best chance of taking the flag, I would have picked this one. All Hawthorn has to do is perform to somewhere around 85-90% of their best and they would salute. But it seems Hawthorn is about to throw it away. I don't know why but I suspect the motivation and hunger has been exhausted. A sad turning point.

Please for the sake of entertainment win the next two games so that WCE are at least challenged on Grand Final day.

Unfortunately, based on current form - Adelaide will win. EASILY!

Hey guys I have an angle for you all to have a good think about. Prior to round 23 Clarko made a strong statement that he is not a fan of wholesale rest-ups (or words to that effect) as the likes of North and Freo did, and would rather keep the numbers together for the good of team cohesion etc. And lets face it, last friday night's game was the worst game that the boys played all season, with ball fumbling, dropping the ball off the chest when kicked or hand-balled to them, kicking and Hand-balling to the opposition, and just blindly kicking the ball forward not to anyone in particular, and kicking too short to team mates and forget the contested marks etc., and moving slowly for them. So many players (including Hodge) (but not Mitch or Cyril) were virtually missing for the best part of the game, players who are normally there for most of the game. Clarko also tried some different moves like Lake up forward etc., but didn't seem too purturbed about the loss (and neither did the players), except to pay some lip service about the fumbling etc. I have a strong feeling that Friday's game was given up to save us having the week off as Clarko wanted to keep the momentum going through to the final. And wouldn't the Coasters and all the pundits be thinking W/C are in for a walk in the park against us in the G/F? Lovely to be under the radar and then deliver the killer punch on the big day!!

Yeah........ Nah

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would use Burgers as Gunston's replacement.

Duryea starts on Cameron.
Stratton to Betts
Lake to Jenkins
Frawley to Walker
Gibson takes Lynch

Adding Shoe into forward line just takes us down one running player. I would back a smart player like Burgers to kick more goals and set up more goals than poor old Shoe.

Agree with all of that. When Lynch goes up the field, Gibbo hands back and plays the third man up/sweeper we know he loves and dominates at.

Love the idea of Burger up forward as Gunston's replacement. Don't want Schoey, would prefer Hartung to come in as Gunners direct replacement and suckling moved to sub. Give Billy a chance to run and run and run.

After seeing us look pretty tired v WCE, could we bring in 2-3 players with fresh legs (and fresh enthusiasm) for this weeks game and allow us to freshen up a few players for the prelim?

I would love Spanger in team, Litherland too. But it too late to meddle. Clarko will make minumal changes.
Frawley on Tex
Lake on Lynch
Stratts on Betts (he will not be dropped)
Duryea in the 21
Burgoyne forward
Hale is done.
Ceglar in if 100% fit.
Do NOT play Gunston (will we ever learn)

Out - Hale, Gunston
In - Cegs, Hartung (sub)
Forgive the intrusion but I don't think Lake on Lynch would be a great match up for you guys. He works up the ground alot and works his opponent into the ground with his superior tank. He's probably best used on Jenkins.

Hey guys I have an angle for you all to have a good think about. Prior to round 23 Clarko made a strong statement that he is not a fan of wholesale rest-ups (or words to that effect) as the likes of North and Freo did, and would rather keep the numbers together for the good of team cohesion etc. And lets face it, last friday night's game was the worst game that the boys played all season, with ball fumbling, dropping the ball off the chest when kicked or hand-balled to them, kicking and Hand-balling to the opposition, and just blindly kicking the ball forward not to anyone in particular, and kicking too short to team mates and forget the contested marks etc., and moving slowly for them. So many players (including Hodge) (but not Mitch or Cyril) were virtually missing for the best part of the game, players who are normally there for most of the game. Clarko also tried some different moves like Lake up forward etc., but didn't seem too purturbed about the loss (and neither did the players), except to pay some lip service about the fumbling etc. I have a strong feeling that Friday's game was given up to save us having the week off as Clarko wanted to keep the momentum going through to the final. And wouldn't the Coasters and all the pundits be thinking W/C are in for a walk in the park against us in the G/F? Lovely to be under the radar and then deliver the killer punch on the big day!!
I see where you are coming from, but completely disagree. There is not one team now, or ever for that matter, that wouldn't prefer to win 1st week and have a week off prior to a prelim. Recent history of which teams make the grand final proves it.

Cyril looks to have been the sole target for the last few weeks. I'm no football expert but maybe actually having our forwards stay at home in the forward line for a change with pop, Breust and Cyril at their feet could be a good option rather than seeing gunners and ruff in defence - it's just a random thought of course

No, too radical.

Forgive the intrusion but I don't think Lake on Lynch would be a great match up for you guys. He works up the ground alot and works his opponent into the ground with his superior tank. He's probably best used on Jenkins.
Definitely Lake on Jenkins and Frawley on Tex. Both are needed this week.

Problem is that leaves Gibbo on Lynch and takes Gibbo away from the 50m. They might have to play a rolling type role where Birch takes Lynch when up the ground and Gibbo stays closer to home. Birch is probably tall enough to compete with him when he's up the ground.

Strat/Duryea/Gus will have to play well on Eddie and Cameron who were both very damaging. I'm maybe more nervous about those 2 than the big guys.

What happened to the Hawthorn that played Fremantle and Sydney? There is no way these performances have anything to do with confidence. We possess the most experienced finals team in the competition. If a team as experienced as ours needs confidence then I should be able to hear the chattering of knees and teeth of players in other teams from fear/nervousness. All I see is a disinterested Hawthorn who are going through the motions.

We were abysmal against a team that was missing its best midfielder, half its back line and played 3 others that were 50% fit. Hawthorn failed to beat a team that had maybe 17 players on the park. Despite some losses in other successful seasons, I think given the position and the form we had going into the Richmond and Port games, and the way we played against an injury ravaged WCE on Friday, these are some of our worst performance since 2009.

What a waste given, except for WCE, the other teams in the 8 are such average sides this year. If you had asked me in which of the last three years Hawthorn had the best chance of taking the flag, I would have picked this one. All Hawthorn has to do is perform to somewhere around 85-90% of their best and they would salute. But it seems Hawthorn is about to throw it away. I don't know why but I suspect the motivation and hunger has been exhausted. A sad turning point.

Please for the sake of entertainment win the next two games so that WCE are at least challenged on Grand Final day.

Unfortunately, based on current form - Adelaide will win. EASILY!

Current form or last start?

Adelaide lost to Geelong and weren't exactly world beaters last night. Hawks got done by a couple lengths in a group 1, Crows got up by a short half head in a group 3.

I'll take the Hawks. Easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is it !! Chip was bought in for these type of match ups. Has the speed, height and strength to go with tex!! Lake on Jenkins is a given. Birch usually takes lynch so that leaves Gibbo to float and get some bounce back across HB. Interesting today that on SEN, they were mentioning Strattons loss of speed!! They were genuinely asking 'where is he at?' Well, he be on Betts imo. Duryea on Cameron. But if our mids don't use the ball well going inside fifty then we will be in trouble. Having said that I wouldn't put it beyond us to score heavily as the doggies had 32 scoring shots. Just make sure Sloane doesn't get it in space!!
Hartung in, gunno out
Schoey for suckling.
Isaac sub but only for two and a bit qtrs.

Definitely Lake on Jenkins and Frawley on Tex. Both are needed this week.

Problem is that leaves Gibbo on Lynch and takes Gibbo away from the 50m. They might have to play a rolling type role where Birch takes Lynch when up the ground and Gibbo stays closer to home. Birch is probably tall enough to compete with him when he's up the ground.

Strat/Duryea/Gus will have to play well on Eddie and Cameron who were both very damaging. I'm maybe more nervous about those 2 than the big guys.
That makes a lot of sense. Shutting him down goes a long way to beating us.

Lol great angle.. However I don't think the game was given up. We were beaten comprehensively. It was hurtful to watch.

A home prelim was up for grabs. We failed..

Soldier on now.. Straight sets would put an end to the era. A win, and we are back.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Watching replay of first quarter of West Coast game and Breust, McEvoy and Roughy all missed very easy goals and at the other end the shocking Suckling kick in leads to a ridiculous Eagles goal.That is a 4 goal difference in favour of Eagles that will never be repeated. We didn't play bad we played careless.Once the tone was set it was hard to come back.Particularly the way the umps chose to pay iffy free kicks.

Shoemakers will come in and play a role. Pretty much the best back up as you can get for Gunston.
If Schoey doesn't get picked this week it will almost feel like he's done his dash at the club.

It's too late to be balancing a list now - it's September and there is no room for players who haven't played more than a handful of games between them to all come in at once. If these boys aren't up to it and they go out in straight sets, so be it, the time for wholesale changes is round 1 2016 and build from there.
Couldn't agree more with you.it should have been done through the year instead of running out the same old side every week.players that weren't performing down to boxhill but it's to late now.past reputations should not come into play but unfortunately they do

How can you win any game of football when you have players that turn up with the selective intensity level of Breust, Roughead and Suckling. In the case of Hill and Stratton they are just not good enough. How did Stratton get a 4 year contract? He must have an excellent manager as this has all the hallmarks of a Nick Holland/Brad Sewell contract, for mine Litherland already has more to offer and would make a better opponent for Betts on Friday night.
Why would you play Frawley in the forward line when the only 2 assets he has is reasonable strength and good closing speed. He can only play in defence and then as a negating player on a KPF. Gibson is finished as a footballer and has been woeful for most of the year, never has to compete for his position and I think there are more worthy candidates at BHH.
Absolute disgraceful team selection by Clarkson and co in the west coast game. I would much rather players that are prepared to compete in the contest and to that extent bring in Duryea, Anderson, Hartung, Litherland and Spangher.
For mine a lot of hawthorn players got shown up as pretenders and Breust, has to be the most over-rated player in the AFL.
Agree there

Couldn't agree more with you.it should have been done through the year instead of running out the same old side every week.players that weren't performing down to boxhill but it's to late now.past reputations should not come into play but unfortunately they do

Theres about six who have played more than a couple of games

Question,why Stratts on betts? Stratts can't keep upright keeps falling over.doc or Gus better choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back