Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be dissing B grade amateurs mate. That's not cool
h594qr8.gif

Quite right, my apologies to all. I think Colac under 9s girls t-ball thirds have more hunger, so I'm not sure where 'our boys' belong should they have to be moved on to a place that matches their level of effort. Maybe the Barwon Prison number plate stamping line?

^ Only if Vinnie Jones is involved somehow... or the Australian equivalent at least ;)

Of course it's the job of the coaches to guide players and support them, but they need to be met half way. There is no way you could tell me with a straight face that it's all down to the coaches. Our players haven't been known for a strong work ethic in the past, nor have they been known for being all that professional either.

Some of it comes down to admin, some to coaching, some to players. Some of our players deserve to be smashed though, there is no denying that.

With most of the playing group, I think it's fundamentally about mental strength. It clearly is a simple workrate issue with Sylvia though, for example.

Of course it's the job of the coaches to guide players and support them, but they need to be met half way. There is no way you could tell me with a straight face that it's all down to the coaches. Our players haven't been known for a strong work ethic in the past, nor have they been known for being all that professional either.

Some of it comes down to admin, some to coaching, some to players. Some of our players deserve to be smashed though, there is no denying that.

No, definitely not.

And I'm not trying to.

These guys are mainly young blokes, they can still be influenced by a change in direction.

The current predicament is of Neeld and the admins making however - we still won 8 and a 1/2 games as a club with a 'lazy' reputation.

If neeld gets the sack, and the board decides to appoint another rookie coach, we should fold, for we are too incompetent to be an AFL side.

Lots more water to go under the bridge before Neeld gets the sack. We don't need to go that far just yet.

Changing ingrained cultural problems is not a short term fix, simply implementing the change is long term let alone adopting it as non negotiable.
This was an area which I was required to assist in former employment, changing workplace cultures, and it needs all participants to be rowing in the same direction and a strict adherance to the fundamentals being introduced just to get of the ground.
Sounds simple but isn't as it also requires people to relinquish power and position and giving up that is not easy, most will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo, in administration, on the Board and in the footy department people in positions of power do not give that up lightly.
For us we are talking a number of seasons before an acceptable culture is adopted , not saying it can't happen sooner but that would be the exception rather than the norm.

Funnily enough one of the first culture change building blocks is to replace managerial positions and to replace with a fresh face who brings new ideas and is willing to do whatever is required.
I admire Schwab for how he handled himself regarding his exit and for doing the right thing by the club but his replacement is important to get right and has his work cut out.
This is the first step.

I have noticed that Neale Daniher, Dean Bailey and Mark Neeld all played less than 100 games in their respective careers (to be fair, Daniher had numerous injuries) and played in no premiership or GFs between them.

Geelong have had an interesting formula with their last four coaches- Malcolm Blight, Gary Ayres, Mark Thompson, Chris Scott.

What do the four all have in common?

They all played over 200 games in successful eras, and in multiple premiership teams, by successful coaches.

Malcolm Blight- North Melbourne 70's, 1975, 1977 Premiership player. Coached by Ron Barassi.

Gary Ayres- Hawthorn 80's. 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989 and 1991 Premiership player. Also two-time Norm Smith Medallist. Coached by Allan Jeans.

Mark Thompson-Essendon 80's-90's. 1984-85 and 1993 premiership player. Captain of 1993 premiership team. Coached by Kevin Sheedy

Chris Scott-Brisbane 2000's. 2001 and 2002 Premiership player. Missed 2003 because of injury. Coached by Leigh Matthews.

They played in successful teams, in successful eras, by coaches who knew success. So they brought that to Geelong, to teach us how to have a successful era as well.

Melbourne need to use this critera for their next coach. Maybe Adelaide assistant Darren Milburn, the three time Cats premeirship player. He fits this critera. If John Worsfold becomes available, he fits the criteria as well.

Melbourne have to start getting in "success-stories" to have their own success.

It's a fair point, but not necessarily a recipe for success. Neil Balme played 150+ and played in two premierships and didn't really help us.

Even some current 'Premiership' coaches have only achieved success as coaches, e.g. Clarkson, Roos - so it's worth remembering that sometimes coaching success comes without playing success.

But as I said, I agree with the gist of your post, and even if not in the head coaching role it would be very helpful to have some around who knew what it took to go all the way.

Lots more water to go under the bridge before Neeld gets the sack. We don't need to go that far just yet.
I'd think (and hope, if I actually liked him) that we wouldn't pull the gun on the coach. But realistically, he's a loss this week and a defeat at the hands of GWS away from being punted.

Win games, or go.

Simple proposition, and one which didn't exist under Bailey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne have to start getting in "success-stories" to have their own success.
A coach needs to have his own house in order before he can tell others how to sort theirs.

Something neither Bailey or Neeld have had.

Daniher earned the respect of the group and was a 10 year coach, but his lack of experience wasn't ideal.

I'd think (and hope, if I actually liked him) that we wouldn't pull the gun on the coach. But realistically, he's a loss this week and a defeat at the hands of GWS away from being punted.

Win games, or go.

Simple proposition, and one which didn't exist under Bailey.

The GWS game is a big one, I'll give you that. If we were to get rolled by them at the G then serious, serious questions would need to be asked. There is no argument from me there.

i think paul roos and or rodney eade would bring a good culture to the club, both are proven good coaches that know what it takes. paul roos might be a long shot tho

The GWS game is a big one, I'll give you that. If we were to get rolled by them at the G then serious, serious questions would need to be asked. There is no argument from me there.

Whilst a loss to GWS or GGS would be embarrassing (but lets face it - the last 2 weeks = embarrassing anyways), In my opinion Neeld should be allowed to finish his contract. Hardwick still has not beaten the Gold Coast Suns.

Whilst a loss to GWS or GGS would be embarrassing (but lets face it - the last 2 weeks = embarrassing anyways), In my opinion Neeld should be allowed to finish his contract. Hardwick still has not beaten the Gold Coast Suns.
You serious?

A loss to either means that Neeld has made us the worst side in the competition.

You serious?

A loss to either means that Neeld has made us the worst side in the competition.

Yeah I'm serious. We already are the worst side in the comp even if we do beat GWS. We know this already. I don't think sacking Neeld before his contract is up is beneficial. Wait until it's over and see who is available, because atm no-one is available.

Yeah I'm serious. We already are the worst side in the comp even if we do beat GWS. We know this already. I don't think sacking Neeld before his contract is up is beneficial. Wait until it's over and see who is available, because atm no-one is available.
Plenty experienced coaches are available.

Plenty experienced coaches are available.

Don't want Eade, Choco is probably happy at Richmond. Roos wont coach us, Ratten is iffy at best. Clarkson is my preferred and I think he may be available come end of season. That's how I feel. In your opinion do you feel we are the worst team in the comp?

Don't want Eade, Choco is probably happy at Richmond. Roos wont coach us, Ratten is iffy at best. Clarkson is my preferred and I think he may be available come end of season. That's how I feel. In your opinion do you feel we are the worst team in the comp?
I think so, yeah. I also think we have absolutely no confidence as a unit. Neeld's efforts have been really bad.

If we drop next week, particularly in a manner like the last 3 matches, then Neeld has to go. No questions asked.

Bring in a caretaker, treat the whole year as a massive preseason for 2014. May as well.

I don't know what we should do. My guy feeling is to stick by Neeld, simply because I don't want us to just get in the habit of sacking coaches. Would a new coach even be able to do any better? I doubt it.

But is Neeld the right man for the job? Right now I doubt that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back