Speculation Shai Bolton [OOC 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

Walter ok for #8 + #15 but Freo demanded #2 for Weller #7 + 2nd rounder for Cerra ?
and i remember the Cerra thread and most freo supporters were wanting carltons first born

What player do you get at pick #3 ? Shai is a known gun in a top team and could mean a premiership for fremantle
#3 is his value if he was up for trade
Weller was a special extortion of a desperate club. Incomparable I hope. It is entirely Richmonds right to extort given the contract status but if you aren't really interested in trading him (I think a mistake), I hope we leave it rather than pay the extortion fee.

I've said it the whole season but I think you are best off trading Bolton and overpaying Baker given the type of players each of them are. If Richmond were open to it, Warner re-signing would be massive. Would be extortion city.

Weller was a special extortion of a desperate club. Incomparable I hope. It is entirely Richmonds right to extort given the contract status but if you aren't really interested in trading him (I think a mistake), I hope we leave it rather than pay the extortion fee.

I've said it the whole season but I think you are best off trading Bolton and overpaying Baker given the type of players each of them are. If Richmond were open to it, Warner re-signing would be massive. Would be extortion city.
Richmond would not be interested in trading him

The only way this happens is if Fremantle initiates this and gets in Boltons head about a move
Then Freo are in an awkward position ro pay what the Richmond demands same as the weller situation

Bolton is contracted long term and Richmond are in no cap issues where we need to move him on
He only gets traded if he demands a trade and that would be to a club thats prepared to pay the price
and by the sounds of it it looks like fremantle
Bolton & Warner in the freo side would have everybody in purple drooling

The only way this happens is if Fremantle initiates this and gets in Boltons head about a move
Then Freo are in an awkward position ro pay what the Richmond demands same as the weller situation

Bolton is contracted long term and Richmond are in no cap issues where we need to move him on
He only gets traded if he demands a trade and that would be to a club thats prepared to pay the price
We'll see, if half the Richmond board can see the benefit of trading him, I'm sure the club can as well. Im excited to see if it goes anywhere.

We'll see, if half the Richmond board can see the benefit of trading him, I'm sure the club can as well. Im excited to see if it goes anywhere.
I think like all clubs boards when your club is going bad every player goes up for sale and usually want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Im in favour of trading Rioli only because i believe we can extract 2 1st rounder from GC with picks going back
Baker i rather keep and make captain dues to his never say die attitude and leadership
Bolton is a class act and just entering his prime years and has 7+ years , We dont lose anything by trading him in 2 years time so keep unless its overs.
We have more than enough picks this year so 2025/2026 we still get similar trade value

These types of players dont come along often similar to warner , If Fremantle have convinced him then they have done a great job and will have a star in a position that you need. Bolton at the feet of treacy & Amiss with rotations in the middle with Serong , Young , Brayshaw would certainly elevate fremantles chance of a long waited premiership.

I'm factoring Dee's being half way to Cancun by then and being "fair" with Crows. Dogs will smash them. My point stands, if Port finish top 4, I'll eat a hat*
*(made of nacho chips)
No, I said port were every chance to finish with their first natural pick at 13-15, which you scoffed at. That’s 4-6.

No need to keep moving the goal posts snuff.

To figure out a trade Tigers posters in particular what single picks would you expect (not want) to get for each of Bolton, Baker and Rioli?

Wild prediction? Two teams I've watched as closely as Freo this year are Port and Pies. Port have won like 5 games under 10 points, have won 1 of their last 4 with that one being just about the ugliest game of the year against a bottom 4 side (if they had lost that they were completely cooked).

Dogs (H) - Dogs comfortably on form
Suns (A) - Suns havent lost at home yet, Suns
Tigers (H) - Easy win (sorry)
Carlton (A) - Easy Blues win, though it is a favourite past time of theirs to screw us so maybe they'll tank it
Swans (H) - Swans
Dees (A) - 50/50
Crows (H) - Showdown, 50/50
Freo (A) - Freo

Take your point it's unlikely to be top 10, but my hats are safe on them finishing 4-6
There are no gimmes there at all in that run home for Port. Not saying they will, but it wouldn't be ridiculous if they lost all of those games based on current form.

“Shai’s everywhere on the footy field and he’s been everywhere on a trip back to his home town of Perth this week, weaving his way through meetings with representatives of West Coast and Fremantle,”

Sounds like he's a lot further down the track than clubs initiating interest. Just my opinion but I'd be very surprised if Shai Bolton ends up at Freo.

To figure out a trade Tigers posters in particular what single picks would you expect (not want) to get for each of Bolton, Baker and Rioli?
If you're talking single pick value and trying to keep it simple, Bolton would be top 5, Rioli top 10 and Baker top 15 (due to being uncontracted).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So similar players that have been traded in recent times.
Game breakers that can go forward or mid, but are inconsistent.

Rankine? Is there anyone else?

Rankine was younger, but had proven less, so probably about even in the end.

So about that value seems right.

If I had to put an exact pick number on them I'd probably go something like:
Bolton - Pick 3
Rioli - Pick 7
Baker - Pick 12
I think Bolton and Baker are overvalued there but here’s the issue. At the Eagles I would much rather FOS or Smillie with pick 3 as opposed Bolton, I’d much rather Murphy Reid or Moraes at 7 instead of Rioli and I’d much rather Toby Travaglia or Sam Lalor at 12 than Liam Baker.

Gold Coast and Freo however I think would rather all those players as opposed to the picks given where their list is at right now. They both have the capital to get their deals done provided player and Tigers support the move. Hopefully Baker would be open to moving with Bolton to Freo if that’s the way it pans out.

Well Bolton did stand up for his mate Dan when Dan got punched in the face by an idiot sexually harassing dans GF
Some people may call that a scandal

That's not a scandal.

About the worst thing that could happen here is absolutely nothing is said publicly until the last few days of the trade period when suddenly, and after both WC and Freo have already done their business (including Liam Baker), then Bolton's manager comes out and says "family reasons" or some other vague but emotional reason is behind a request to move home.

At the same time a contracted player from, let's just say Freo, requests a trade to Richmond.

There's no winning that for any team involved. That's the sort of scandal I'm talking about. Heavily media leveraged emotional play from management.

The reality would be that behind the scenes Freo were working on Bolton and Richmond were working on the contracted Freo player, but both sides probably gave indications that no trade would be possible. Then their management force an emotional play publicly and each supporter group blames the other club for luring their player and talking them into emotionally leveraging the situation through the media.

No, I said port were every chance to finish with their first natural pick at 13-15, which you scoffed at. That’s 4-6.

No need to keep moving the goal posts snuff.
But I said top 4? Is fourth not top4? Getting pedantic. I'll move my eating of a nacho hat to top 8. Confident they don't get there

I think Bolton and Baker are overvalued there but here’s the issue. At the Eagles I would much rather FOS or Smillie with pick 3 as opposed Bolton, I’d much rather Murphy Reid or Moraes at 7 instead of Rioli and I’d much rather Toby Travaglia or Sam Lalor at 12 than Liam Baker.

Gold Coast and Freo however I think would rather all those players as opposed to the picks given where their list is at right now. They both have the capital to get their deals done provided player and Tigers support the move. Hopefully Baker would be open to moving with Bolton to Freo if that’s the way it pans out.
I agree with you 100%. If I'm West Coast's list manager I'm taking pick 3 to the draft, but that's the kind of deal it would take for Richmond to let Bolton go.

I think he's much better suited to where Freo's list is at, but they'd have quite the task pooling all of their picks together to produce a deal worth taking.

Baker's a bit different. If he wants out we can't keep him. If he was contracted I wouldn't even accept pick 12 for him. He'll be captain next year if he stays and that leadership is really valuable to us, as it will be to WC if you manage to get him.

I agree with you 100%. If I'm West Coast's list manager I'm taking pick 3 to the draft, but that's the kind of deal it would take for Richmond to let Bolton go.

I think he's much better suited to where Freo's list is at, but they'd have quite the task pooling all of their picks together to produce a deal worth taking.

Baker's a bit different. If he wants out we can't keep him. If he was contracted I wouldn't even accept pick 12 for him. He'll be captain next year if he stays and that leadership is really valuable to us, as it will be to WC if you manage to get him.
With access to 3 first rounders we could easily find a deal for Bolton. Ports first plus another I feel should easily be enough for Bolton. But hay what do I know haha

But I said top 4? Is fourth not top4? Getting pedantic. I'll move my eating of a nacho hat to top 8. Confident they don't get there
Righteo Snuff. Whatever you think.

This discussion is really based on the true value of your first rounders, which we all seem to agree will be closer to 20 than 10 when it comes time to use them on draft night.

Which on its own is vastly under value for the contracted player we are discussing in this thread.

Now if they could pony this up with their other draft collateral to trade up to a genuine top ten pick there may be some interest. They have the collateral to do so, but I doubt Richmond will allow themselves to be lowballed with the player contracted.

With access to 3 first rounders we could easily find a deal for Bolton. Ports first plus another I feel should easily be enough for Bolton. But hay what do I know haha
Yep, find a team that is willing to give you a pick between 4-7 for a collection of your picks and if we were ok with Bolton going, that’s the collateral we’d be looking at.

Righteo Snuff. Whatever you think.

This discussion is really based on the true value of your first rounders, which we all seem to agree will be closer to 20 than 10 when it comes time to use them on draft night.

Which on its own is vastly under value for the contracted player we are discussing in this thread.

Now if they could pony this up with their other draft collateral to trade up to a genuine top ten pick there may be some interest. They have the collateral to do so, but I doubt Richmond will allow themselves to be lowballed with the player contracted.
It just a bit of fun, all good (though we don't all agree haha).

100% agree though that top 10 would be non-negotiable starting point for Richmond to even entertain it.

Yep, find a team that is willing to give you a pick between 4-7 for a collection of your picks and if we were ok with Bolton going, that’s the collateral we’d be looking at.
The crazy thing is if Port lose this week and other results go our way we could be holding a Top 8 pick by rounds end. Never know by years end we could have that Top 8 pick your looking for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back