Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think it’s a good idea for players who don’t play in a grand final to be awarded premiership medals?

In 2018 Nic Naitanui, Andrew Gaff and Brad Sheppard all missed out on premiership medals, 2 years before Bob Murphy missed out on his too. 2010 saw Presti miss out.

This year they’ll be a hard luck story of Shaun Higgins (should Geelong win) and Josh P. Kennedy plus Sam Reid (If he misses) should Sydney win this weekend.

The NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL all see everyone get a ring from the winning team regardless they play or not.

Nah.

Andrew Gaff rightfully missed out on a premiership medal in 2018 for his abhorrent dog act on Andrew Brayshaw.

Would hate for players like him being rewarded for their acts of thuggery with a medal.

Feel like there'll always be hard luck stories, regardless of the system.

Like, if it's just the emergencies, then what about the 27th bloke?

If it's 'must have played at least 10 games during the season', then what about the bloke who came into the side in Round 16, played a key role in securing their top four spot and winning their first two finals, but then tore his hammy off the bone in the prelim having only played 9 games for the year?

If it's 'must have played at least 1 game during the year', then what about the stalwart veteran who is central to club culture who did his ACL in the pre-season?

If it's everyone on the list, then what about people who are substantively retired but have been kept on for salary cap payment purposes, and have been replaced by pre-season supplementary or mid-season picks?

It’s very simple. Anybody who played a game that year. They’re objectively the players who’ve contributed to the campaign.

Anyone who doesn't play in the Grand Final will always feel the FOMO of not doing so. Not receiving a medal, just rubs it in their faces.
There should be some sort of acknowledgement for those who've played a certain number of games during the season but not the GF.
Maybe some clubs already do this internally but there should be some sort of acknowledgement from the AFL.

If I’m a fringe player who played 10-15 games but missed the last one, a premiership medal would feel like a ‘participation award’ of sorts for being so close but not quite there in the 22 of the big dance.

There’s hard luck stories in sport and the world. It’s just the way it is. Not everything needs to be changed to make people feel better.

There’s players like NicNat and Murphy who missed out through injury and there’s players like Ablett Sr, Hayes and Buckley who won Norm Smiths but never got a Premiership medal for a completely different reason, it’s just the way the cookie crumbles - makes the premiership medal so much more valuable through these hard luck stories.

Keep it as is.

Do you think it’s a good idea for players who don’t play in a grand final to be awarded premiership medals?

In 2018 Nic Naitanui, Andrew Gaff and Brad Sheppard all missed out on premiership medals, 2 years before Bob Murphy missed out on his too. 2010 saw Presti miss out.

This year they’ll be a hard luck story of Shaun Higgins (should Geelong win) and Josh P. Kennedy plus Sam Reid (If he misses) should Sydney win this weekend.

The NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL all see everyone get a ring from the winning team regardless they play or not.
Yeah i think for sure there should be some kind of allowance for a player whos contribution to the season is x amount to be included

And id like to see it made retrospective.

Yeah i think for sure there should be some kind of allowance for a player whos contribution to the season is x amount to be included

And id like to see it made retrospective.
I agree. The notion (which is often said by players who have a medal!) is that they would not accept it or feel fraudulent I sort of understand…but only to a point. I think that is because of the history and culture of the game - which can be changed.

To me not getting a medal completely flies in the face of the “squad” ethos. They talk constantly about it taking more than the 23 to win a premiership - so we should reflect that. One big reason we are winning a flag is because early in the year we did better than split the games with all the big players out (either injured or managed). That means they are firing back half of season and will win. If we had of lost all of those games we might not have been in same position. Or, like prior years, if the 23 had to play all the games of the year they would be worn out by end and not get the prize.

Question of course is where to you draw the line?

Emergencies? Anyone who played in 2022? Whole squad?

For me I would say that anybody that gets a game in the premiership year should get a medal. That might be 30-35 players max

Nah.

Andrew Gaff rightfully missed out on a premiership medal in 2018 for his abhorrent dog act on Andrew Brayshaw.

Would hate for players like him being rewarded for their acts of thuggery with a medal.
Very unique situation to blanket no to a reasonable idea. I would be happy to say yes but make exception for anybody you deemed to be a thug…

Nah.

You mean like patrick cripps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The medal is a token - the only thing that makes it worthwhile is the meaning attached to it. Personally I wouldn't want a premiership medal if I didn't play in the Grand Final. I remember Peter Knights talking about the 1971 Grand Final. He'd had a breakout season, playing great footy and wrecked his knee in the semi final. He said "Everyone said you were part of it but you knew you really weren't". A medal wouldn't change that feeling.

Doesn't the whole squad get a watch? Surely they'd get a certificate.

Why should the Premiership medal be cheapened by handing it out to the blokes who didn't play? If the club wants to give all the players something to commemorate the win, that's fine. But why should it be a Premiership medal?

Yes and No!

Yes. If you played in a match during a Premiership winning campaign, you deserve a Premiership Medallion. Season 99.9% Finals 110%

And

No. Acts like we had seen from Andrew Gaff deserve to be punished in every footballing way imaginable. His tears were like cream on my genital crabs, soothing.

Yes and No!

Yes. If you played in a match during a Premiership winning campaign, you deserve a Premiership Medallion. Season 99.9% Finals 110%

And

No. Acts like we had seen from Andrew Gaff deserve to be punished in every footballing way imaginable. His tears were like cream on my genital crabs, soothing.
At what point would you put the cutoff?

One game? Two?

Do we really need this disscussion every GF week ?? :rolleyes:

And why don't we hand out 'participation ribbons' whilst we are at it ??

Doesn't the whole squad get a watch? Surely they'd get a certificate.

Why should the Premiership medal be cheapened by handing it out to the blokes who didn't play? If the club wants to give all the players something to commemorate the win, that's fine. But why should it be a Premiership medal?

Correct !!

If the club wants to do something internally (i.e. at their annual presentation nite) then that is terrific.

Why the feck do we have these "nambie pambie - feel good - happy clapper" types who continually insist on changing everything just for the sake of changing everything ??

I'm still waiting for the suggestions to use a round ball, play on synthetic grass, each team has 24 players on the park plus every goal from outside 50m is worth 9-points but the guy who kicked it has to smoke a bucket bong !!

FFS ..... 'magic round' ..... what a crock of shit !!

Add another layer to an already lop-sided draw that always favours some teams and disasvantages others.......... I can't wait for the eventual whinges & sook-ups when this total load of BS comes in.

There are traditions in the game that date back many many decades, feel free to piss on the memory of your past heroes with this continual stupidity & these nonsensical suggestions that do not benefit anyone or improve the quality of the game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Should players who miss out on a flag deserve a premiership medal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back