Unofficial Preview Showdown XLIV Banter Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think my favourite Port poster's comment of recent times was the one saying, "maybe we can use the China money to pay out Ken's contract."

Just so beautifully encapsulates the predicament they are in and also underlines the general delusion of the fan bse.

First, there is no China money.

Second, the 'dream scenario' in their minds is for this overseas project to generate funds which are then used only to undo an error from the past rather than any positive club building initiative. That's right - if everything goes well the best possible outcome is getting back to square one.

And third, they can't pay him out anyway because they are in the financial shit and on the AFL's teat.

The only thing that worries me about this all is that their Primus doldrum years coincided with us atrophying. Sure, Trigg is no longer asleep at the wheel thank goodness but still we should guard against taking comfort in their irrelevance.
If a club pays out a coach’s contract does that carry over into their football operations soft salary cap?

I think my favourite Port poster's comment of recent times was the one saying, "maybe we can use the China money to pay out Ken's contract."

Just so beautifully encapsulates the predicament they are in and also underlines the general delusion of the fan bse.

Second, the 'dream scenario' in their minds is for this overseas project to generate funds which are then used only to undo an error from the past rather than any positive club building initiative. That's right - if everything goes well the best possible outcome is getting back to square one.

And third, they can't pay him out anyway because they are in the financial shit and on the AFL's teat.

The only thing that worries me about this all is that their Primus doldrum years coincided with us atrophying. Sure, Trigg is no longer asleep at the wheel thank goodness but still we should guard against taking comfort in their irrelevance.

Thankfully it appears that Fagan isn't content with being the biggest club in town.

I thought the whole point of the China thing was to get some Chinese sponsors. You know, like the sponsorship the Crows signed with China Southern Airlines last year! :D

On their boards some are mentioning dixon as an out. Apparently he has an injury..2 weeks with hurt feelings
Did he strain his vocal cords yelling at his teammates when he missed that soda?

I had to laugh when he throws up the tough schedule they’ve had and its a conspiracy by the AFL so Gold Coast have a chance against them in China.

In 7 weeks, Gold Coast have not played at home ONCE. They’ve played in Cairns, Perth twice, Adelaide, Melbourne and Ballarat. If ever a club has had a harder 7 weeks of travel I wouldn’t know of it and I don’t think there has been one.

He’s so warped in the head he wouldn’t even have given this a thought.

Port supporter complaining about the schedule before a Showdown?

This is the first time they've traveled the week before a Showdown since 2012.

I wonder if that's been one of their requests? We know how important the game is for them.

As bad and overhyped as Port are there is one thing they are good at.

Causing congestion in the forward 50.

This concerns me as our forwards struggle without space to operate.

I can see them turning this game into a boring floodfest and somehow they score enough fluke goals to beat us in a tight one.

This is the first time under Pyke I have felt they can beat us. I will feel a little bit better if they rush both SPP and Rocky as this will slow them a bit, taking away their ability to hurt us on the counter attack.

For us to win Jenkins will need to prove to us he is the contested marking player he statistically has been this year.

Of course we could break down their flood with precise kicking and player movement up forward and totally obliterate them. As WCE did.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a club pays out a coach’s contract does that carry over into their football operations soft salary cap?
I believe it would.

However Port are also a receiver of funding from the Equalisation Tax. Which means such a decision is at the discretion of the AFL.

Given Port won't finish bottom four for multiple years (or at all) and they gave Ken that three year extension (the first year starts in 2019) less than a year ago I doubt the AFL will allow Port to sack Ken.

Ken has the safest job in the game. He played it well last year.

I believe it would.

However Port are also a receiver of funding from the Equalisation Tax. Which means such a decision is at the discretion of the AFL.

Given Port won't finish bottom four for multiple years (or at all) and they gave Ken that three year extension (the first year starts in 2019) less than a year ago I doubt the AFL will allow Port to sack Ken.

Ken has the safest job in the game. He played it well last year.

Yep, the AFL won't care if they are finishing middle of the ladder (someone has to), with 60k "members" there is no urgent need to turn things around, there is no major problem, the only thing the AFL has to do is stop them from making a stupid decision (financially) by sacking YesWeKen.

here is a philosophical question for you all

Is a banter thread thread gets posted on the Crows board, and no Tealster posts in it, did the banter thread ever really exist?
They are all too busy logging on to their ticket exchange to sell off their ticket to a Crowie to get involved in any banter.

I wonder what effect this years trip down the China rabbit hole will have on the Showdown?

Will they hold back a little, not wanting to risk injury or suspension and therefore the China game, or will it have the opposite effect, all in hoping to avoid the trip to Adelaide Arena at Jiangwan Stadium in Shanghai which is in China Oval.

So on Saturday night I'm going to be standing on the hill surrounded by Port fans/tarps and I'm trying to determine how safe I'll be.

I'm not amongst their two main target groups - I'm not an Indigenous Australian or a female - so perhaps I'll be alright?

I think as long as there's no pesky Geelong fans nearby we might be in for a relatively safe night.

So on Saturday night I'm going to be standing on the hill surrounded by Port fans/tarps and I'm trying to determine how safe I'll be
Perhaps the main issue will be that - according to one poster on the Port board - they'll all have their phones out ready to capture the slightest indiscretion by a Crows fan. So behave yourself. :)

Perhaps the main issue will be that - according to one poster on the Port board - they'll all have their phones out ready to capture the slightest indiscretion by a Crows fan. So behave yourself. :)
They’ve been threatening this since their Geelong game, Sturt game, Norwood game......

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Showdown XLIV Banter Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back