News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

But replaced with a much better seat...i hope

At probably twice the price - a lot of families and older folk sit in the same area, Ablett Terrace, and talking after last week some are unsure if they can afford to continue, depending on what decisions are made seating wise. I'm hoping its a nice stadium, but if prices go from silver to platinum that won't be so nice.
Now to wait for 12 months to see what the decision is.

Glad to see the Ron Hovey room going, don't know whose bright idea it was to build an ugly monstrosity enclosed behind glass even if the seats in there did sell for a few extra dollars. Ditto for the white elephant Ford Stand - just have to wait until the final stage of the redevelopment.

Will probably be back to 7 home games next year with a large chunk of the ground's capacity and broadcasting facilities/coaches box/clubrooms missing, and possibly in 2017 too considering the ground won't be ready for the opening rounds. Club's bottom line is looking at taking a big hit even though Cook, Carter etc. will no doubt be budgeting for it.

Glad to see the Ron Hovey room going, don't know whose bright idea it was to build an ugly monstrosity enclosed behind glass even if the seats in there did sell for a few extra dollars. Ditto for the white elephant Ford Stand - just have to wait until the final stage of the redevelopment.

Will probably be back to 7 home games next year with a large chunk of the ground's capacity and broadcasting facilities/coaches box/clubrooms missing, and possibly in 2017 too considering the ground won't be ready for the opening rounds. Club's bottom line is looking at taking a big hit even though Cook, Carter etc. will no doubt be budgeting for it.

The Ron Hovey Room was built as an extension of the social club during the 1980s. Ford Stand is for coterie groups/corporates I think and replaced part of the original standing terraces, but was botched by the Hovey administration. It looks absolutely hideous and greatly reduced the ground's capacity.

You may be right about less home games next year. Only Saints, Dees, North and interstate sides will probably be considered for games at the Cattery I'd suggest. The "big 4" (e.g. Richmond) and maybe even the resurgent Dogs won't be sent down to Geelong with 1/3 of the ground missing. The reduced capacity will limit the sides, and hence the amount of games, we play there in 2016.

I thought only Bays 1-3 in the Ablett Terrace would be affected.
I sit slightly further around and had never got any communication about a potential issue until 3 days ago where a letter said I had one week to decide if I want to move or not.
:rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 12.58.09 pm.png

A video has appeared on the Cats website today featuring Brian Cook detailing the Stage 4 works. It includes a flyover video and concepts for several areas in the stand... well worth 8 minutes of your time! Stage Four

If you don't have 8 minutes to spare, however, here are some points to consider:
  • Capacity in the stands goes from 3400 to 6700
  • Worth $1 million per year in revenue
  • Gaming goes from K.P. and won't be back
  • 600 seat function room on the wing (which satisfies FIFA standard for international soccer)
  • Merchandise area doubles and takes up two levels
  • Cafe
  • Media Centre will be nearly three times current facility
  • The Football department goes from 1800 to 4100 square metres
  • Football department will satisfy the club's needs for at least 15 years, eliminating the need for the failed Keystone development (Also of note, Deakin University is building an MCG sized oval at Waurn Ponds campus and are looking for users... any suggestions?)
  • More corporate boxes
  • Sunrise Centre will provide benchmark gymnasium and rehabilitation facilities to the community
  • Demolition has started, project to be ready May 2017
  • 8 games in 2016 and 9 in 2017 if AFL cooperate
  • Capacity in 2016 will be 30000 and 36500 in 2017
  • Responsibility for Stage 5 will probably be taken over by the new K.P. Trust.
  • Not mentioned in the video is the new screen you can make out on the top-right of the stand, beside the new social club
So... it is all happening!
Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 12.58.40 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 12.57.12 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.00.03 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.00.20 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.05.53 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.07.14 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.07.31 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 12.56.54 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 12.59.12 pm.png

Last edited:
I'll have a look at that after work..

Pretty happy that gaming won't be back

Also please please please let the new stand have the GO CATS seats (new ones obviously)

If stage 4 is going to increase capacity to 36,500 then surely stage 5 will push the capacity to 40,000 right? The Ford Stand and the Northern/Gary Ablett Terrace don't look overly big so I have to believe that if stage 4 can add 3k to the capacity then stage 5 is capable of doing the same. Is that a fair assumption?

Once stage 4 is complete you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to secure the $60m funding to finally finish KP.

I'll have a look at that after work..

Pretty happy that gaming won't be back

Also please please please let the new stand have the GO CATS seats (new ones obviously)
Ditto. Glad we're not profiting potentially off problem gamblers anymore. The additional $1m they say this will bring in per year reduces the reliance on that money so good move.

View attachment 173618

A video has appeared on the Cats website today featuring Brian Cook detailing the Stage 4 works. It includes a flyover video and concepts for several areas in the stand... well worth 8 minutes of your time! Stage Four

If you don't have 8 minutes to spare, however, here are some points to consider:
  • Capacity in the stands goes from 3400 to 6700
  • Worth $1 million per year in revenue
  • Gaming goes from K.P. and won't be back
  • 600 seat function room on the wing (which satisfies FIFA standard for international soccer)
  • Merchandise area doubles and takes up two levels
  • Cafe
  • Media Centre will be nearly three times current facility
  • The Football department goes from 1800 to 4100 square metres
  • Football department will satisfy the club's needs for at least 15 years, eliminating the need for the failed Keystone development (Also of note, Deakin University is building an MCG sized oval at Waurn Ponds campus and are looking for users... any suggestions?)
  • More corporate boxes
  • Sunrise Centre will provide benchmark gymnasium and rehabilitation facilities to the community
  • Demolition has started, project to be ready May 2017
  • 8 games in 2016 and 9 in 2017 if AFL cooperate
  • Capacity in 2016 will be 30000 and 36500 in 2017
  • Responsibility for Stage 5 will probably be taken over by the new K.P. Trust.
  • Not mentioned in the video is the new screen you can make out on the top-right of the stand, beside the new social club
So... it is all happening!
View attachment 173606 View attachment 173607 View attachment 173608 View attachment 173609 View attachment 173610 View attachment 173611 View attachment 173613 View attachment 173615 View attachment 173616

Cheers! Sounds great :)
If you look closely you can see Dangerfield in those pics ;)

koch.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ditto. Glad we're not profiting potentially off problem gamblers anymore. The additional $1m they say this will bring in per year reduces the reliance on that money so good move.
Point Cook still brings in the pokie cash though

I think they still own the gaming at point cook, so not all gaming will be gone

Club's bottom line is looking at taking a big hit even though Cook, Carter etc. will no doubt be budgeting for it.
Indeed but as long as everything else is running along ticketyboo Ill be happy. I.e. the yearly loss isn't more than stadium expenses etc.

Aren't they just loaning out the machine to a couple of other venues,which they'll make money from ?
Plus the Point Cook place is still around

Remove this Banner Ad

News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back